“Fantastic Pamper Day”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Pamper Day”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have just come back from an excellent 'Lazy Day for Locals' pamper day with three of my friends. The whole day was excellent value for money with the £20 fee including use of the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym, tea or coffee on arrival and £8 off the lunch bill.

The staff were very attentive, the facilities excellent and the lunch was carefully prepared and delicious. We also struck lucky with the weather as we were able to sit outside in the beautiful gardens in between dips in the pool.

I am looking forward to a return visit very soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Claire W
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Good afternoon, i am delighted you had a great day at the palace hotel and took advantage of our lazy day we have to offer, we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and i run a small transport business, we have 3 children and i am heavily pregnant, and we managed to find the time to get one night away, we booked this hotel as it looked beautiful, the reviews were good, however please read further-

Here is an email sent to the hotel after our stay-

I am writing to you to express our disappointment at a number of things during our stay.
Firstly (room 25) a bath that was leaking to the room below! We had a telephone call after I had a bath asking if we were having a bath as it was leaking, informed by my husband 'yes my wife has just had a bath' Within minutes there was a knock on the door, 'can i have a look at the bath?' Now with the best will in the world any normal person cannot get dressed that quickly and we found it very invasive! When the crack in the bath was pointed out we were told it wouldnt be that. ( the bath drained itself from full)
Ok- so we were then advised to shower- being heavily pregnant i dont believe the shower was suitable, so instead i had to rush against time to have a bath before the water ran back out! The complete opposite to the relaxing night away i was hoping for.
On your website it states hairdryers in rooms- i think you need to state 20+ year old hair dryers in rooms! Absolutely perfect if you have very short hair, not so good for todays generation of ladies with long hair, i had to leave the hotel with soaking wet hair, not to mention the last check done on them was nearly 7 years ago! in fact my sons date of birth- 07-09-07, I appreciate PAT testing isnt mandatory, but surely customer peace of mind is?
The room was very outdated also, skirting boards with coffee on them,dust everywhere and if the room was hoovered prior to our arrival, i would imagine the vacuum was as old as the electrical equipment in the room.
I am extremely upset, and i had pre booked and paid for my mum to spend next weekend with yourselves, for her birthday, I feel appalled that i am sending her here if i am competely honest.
The reception and downstairs of the hotel are lovely, the meal was nice- although the older generation that the hotel clearly appeals to made you feel very very uncomfortable.
The complete opposite to the relaxing stay we were expecting, We could not have moved room due to the bath because there were no rooms left, very frustrated. Had we of been asked how our stay was on checkout i would have discussed the above matters with yourselves, but i was not asked, just given a code to get out of the carpark.

The bath does not seem like a big issue- but i also managed to fall down some stairs (in 'the talk of the town') and i could not have a bath to relax- anyone being pregnant will sympathise with me.

The hotel 'werent aware' of such a leak (of course)
They pointed out PAT testing isnt madatory, So customers safety isnt at the top of their list.
The bed wasnt too comfy (possibly my own preference) and the room was very very hot.

Now- reading the managers comments on other poor reviews- i await the response of 'we werent aware at the time of the stay' You were indeed aware, the manager was off duty and the assistant manager dealt with us. I had no acknowledgement email to the one i sent and had to follow up with a telephone call and should expect a response 'within a week'
Very poor customer service im afraid, and i will certainly not be returning, The hotel does indeed attract the elderly, who most of them are very rude, obnoxious and made you feel uncomfortable, my money is as hard earned and spent as well as theirs is.

P&M Residence around the corner, is a 5* B&B and i must say will beat this 'hotel' at every post, friendly, clean, polite, please have a look there before staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank PB R
Lee C, Owner at The Palace, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear readers,
I don’t know what to say about this. We absolutely did our best with this customer. I will start off with saying that there are plenty of younger people that come to the hotel and enjoy it. And thank god for the retired people, as they come for more than one night.
I would like to point out that this lady had already had a bath. It was as the bath was being emptied that the leak occurred. It was a fault that just happened and it came through into the restaurant below. That is classed as an emergency. When the maintenance man corrected it, it was a pipe that had come away.
The manager spoke to this lady and also offered 20% off the stay. We were 100% full on the day and as far as it’s hot in the rooms, it’s hot in most rooms that are facing the sun.
It upsets us when somebody puts something as bad as this on trip advisor as we always try to do our best for the guest’s enjoyment.
As far as PAT testing is concerned, in all the years that we did do it, there wasn’t one fault found. I think that the government has realised that it’s a futile exercise. The hairdryers are actually about 9 years old and do work perfectly, but then again I am I a man.
The manager has spoken in depth with this lady to apologise about her stay and offering to put a bunch of flowers in her mums room when she arrives, free of charge, and to make sure that everything would have been perfect, but she cancelled the booking anyway.
The lady received the 20% discount for her stay and then posted this review. The leak didn’t affect her, as she had had her bath. There wasn’t a crack in the bath, it was a pipe underneath.
Its sods law that something goes wrong when someone’s only staying one night and we don’t have more time to prove that were okay over the rest of the nights. We really do care.

Steve Furness
Owner
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I would happily return to the palace next time I'm in the area,the hotel is elegant and charming,the gardens relaxing and pleasing on the eye,I felt id stepped back in time to a more genteel age,but with the addition of a modern health suite.the staff were polite and obliging,I could not fault anyone.i would slightly agree with a previous reviewer,it's a pity they have to take in the coach parties as ,at the risk of sounding snobbish,they do lower the tone SORRY! The breakfast was very acceptable but the 6 course evening meal was outstanding,imaginative,creative and superbly presented,the bed comfortable,every member of staff should be commended,see you soon

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank mike p
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Good morning, Thank you for leaving a wonderful review on the Palace, we are so pleased that you would be happy to return when you next in the area, We take pride in our gardens to make them as relaxing as possible for all guest's. I'm sorry you feel that way about the coaches, they are paying guest like everyone else they just arrive by coach rather than by a car.
I will pass on you lovely comments to all the staff, we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I attended the Party by the Seaside concert in Paignton on 14th-15th June which was set across the road from The Palace. It was a great choice to stay there, the room was spacious and accommodating. Breakfast was excellent, I couldn't ask for more really, the staff were really attentive to my needs especially Holly, so I have nothing but praise for this hotel. This is my third year there and certainly won't be my last.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with the seafront view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank H G
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on the Palace, we are delighted that you have nothing but good words to say, and that our staff were attentive, i will pass on your lovely comments to Holly.
Look forward to seeing you soon.
Knighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is by far the best hotel we have ever stopped in.The hotels location was fab.
The staff are a credit to the hotel,they work hard to make you feel at home.Will be going back in the future,for a longer break
I cannot thank the staff enough as at the the end of the day it's them that make your stay memorable.
We had Dbb and the food was fantastic,again the service was second to none.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank evie58
Good morning, Thank you for your review, we are delighted that your enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and that the Palace is by far the best hotel you have ever stopped in. we do have a great location with stunning views. we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace again soon.
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

‎Dear all.

We have just got home after a wonderful week at this excellent hotel. This was a Christmas present for my mum and we could not have been happier with all aspects of our stay.

From the moment we arrived, we were impressed by the ambience of the place and by the warm, friendly and efficient service delivered by the professional and well trained staff. Our rooms were comfortable and well equipped and the various bars and relaxation rooms were great to relax in. The entertainment each evening was also of a consistently high standard.

The food served at breakfast and dinner was excellent, with a menu and quality that ‎would rival the so called top hotels in London. Here again, the service was efficient and friendly - never overly formal.

The location was perfect for exploring Paignton and the locale - all without having to use the car once. All in all, a perfect break and a hotel that I would recommend without hesitation.

Farnborough
Hants
GU14 9TP

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Leswilson
General M, Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Good morning,
Thank you for your kind words of your stay at the Palace, we are so pleased that your enjoyed your time spent here, all our staff work hard to make every guest's experience a memorable one, We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Kingswinford, England
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I looked at all the reviews before booking and decided the positive outstayed the bands reviews and the pictures looked great. Oh dear!

I booked a twin room as I was sharing with my sister. It was called a 'standard' room. The room was more than tired, there was:-
- Torn sheets
- Stains on the bed base
- The bed base was worn on all the corner, and not just a bit very badly looked so unsightly
- Stains on the sheets, but the sheets were obviously clean
- Scuff marks on the walls and not just low down, but head height!
- DUSTY, how bad is that basic, basic you would expect from any star hotel! When we told them about the Manager (who was new there) said she would come and dust it herself! Even then only the things we had mentioned were dusted, not everywhere
- The room was exceptionally hot, other guest also complained about this but there was a fan in the wardrobe
- The one sliding wardrobe door wouldn't open easily either.

The hotel looks fabulous, as do the gardens and outside space. All the communal areas are also great. Some of the staff are good, but many not, particularly the young ones. In the afternoon the waiting staff also have to make, teas, coffee and sandwiches, so service is NOT GOOD!

Although there is a good manager in the restaurant our food experiences were not good. One morning I was served 2 eggs that were meant to be boiled, I open the eggs and they were raw, I could tip them out of the shell. I didn't think to take a photo I was that taken back. I smile not going to go on about other food, I could go in forever.

They fill the hotel with coach parties band we were particularly upset to find that they had paid less than what we had paid, also there rate included dinner and they were upgraded to a SEA VIEW, we had a grotty back room by the lift !!!!!!

Another couple we met said it was there 10th time. They also told up the previous manager was rubbish and never around, this time they got a last minute deal DBB with an executive suit, again for less than what we'd paid for B&B!

I think if you can get a deal with a sea view room, then it could work.

I only hope the new manager get the staff sorted and some of the rooms upgraded, it could be a very good hotel then. But until then?

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Jomac72
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Readers,
All the rooms have been newly refurbished to a high standard. Not all of the bathrooms have been refurbished but the older bathrooms are all tiled and are very nice fresh and clean.
It is very unusual to get torn or stained sheets back from our vigilant linen company and also extremely unusual that the room attendant had missed it. Stains on the bed base are also very uncommon as normally they are never exposed.
I personally went up to inspect the room as the guest said there was dust behind the cabinets and there was, so I asked the room attendant to clean it immediately. Later on I personally went to the room myself and gave it a general dust around realising that this lady was a bit over the top, even though it was already perfectly clean. I could also not find anything wrong with the sliding door on the wardrobe.
I, as General Manager, take pride in the development in our younger staff and nobody has been here less than a year.
I checked with the chef with regard to the egg, and they were boiled for 3 and half minutes. Every single chef in our kitchen does their absolute best at all times.
As far as filling the hotel with coach parties, which we do not do, but if we did what’s wrong with that? There are plenty of millionaires that arrive at the hotel on coaches and they don’t pay less for their stay, they usually pay more for the coach.
If a guest would get a last minute deal it would mean it was with in the week. Obviously, we may not see this guest again, she also failed to mention the assistant manager drove her personally to the train station so that she would not miss her train.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 17 in Paignton
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#11 of 88 in Torquay

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!