“Pre Christmas Break”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Xmas decorations wonderful, room attendants helpful and caring, reception service excellent. Plush dining room but service very slow taking 90 minutes for evening meal. (I am a recently widowed single guest and I felt overlooked, all other guests got water poured into their glass each night as one would expect, I got no such service and it left me feeling vulnerable). I wouldn't recommend singles staying at Palace. Following my last evening meal, coffee is served in the lounge. I waited 75 minutes for my coffee, my grandson was visiting at the time and he was upset and he went to ask for my coffee 3 times, he wanted to report the staff who were quite curt with him. I was first into the dining room that evening the first out and the last to be served with my coffee.

The bedroom well appointed and comfortable but the bed unfortunately was covered in a waterproof mattress which made the firm mattress seem hard and uncomfortable and it was so noisy that it kept me awake all night. I understand the reasons for protecting their mattresses but they should give their guests the options in the interests of having a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for waterproof mattress protector to be removed. ask to be served with coffee before 10 pm.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank Rita W

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Unfortunately I was taken ill one day into our much looked forward to pre Christmas three day break, but I still think The Palace is a super place. Despite it being so very busy, and the staff were certainly rushed off their feet, you would never have known it given the attention and spot - on service they gave their guests. Also, I was so grateful that we were in a lovely, quiet and spacious room where I could suffer in silence. We will be back - hopefully in better circumstances. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank muddyflats
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very positive review of your recent break at the Palace and firstly may I say I hope you are feeling better, I was so pleased that despite your illness you were able to enjoy the service, I was also pleased to read that you were able to relax in your room and at least recuperate in comfort. Finaly all I can add is that we look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace when hopefuly you will be able to enjoy your stay when feeling well.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Have just spent five days at the Palace with a friend and as it was pre Christmas it was a quiet week so we were able to just chill out and relax although the building and interior look as though they could do with an update this was no reflection on the excellent service and lovely food we received everyone was extremely friendly and we had a lovely front room with a great view of the sea front. It is a very popular venue and many of the guests have been coming to the hotel for years. All the staff were very helpful to less able bodied residents and there is a lovely conservatory to sit and watch the world go by if anyone cannot get out much.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sonia B
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your positive review of your recent stay at the Palace and may I say how pleased I was to read that you received excellant service and that you thought our food was very good, I will certainly pass on these comments to the team as they do like to hear that their efforts are appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room and that you were able to relax in our sun lounge and watch the world go by, finaly may I add that we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Just had a two night stay here (have stayed here many years ago) the room was clean and of a good standard. It was lovely to see the same lady in charge of the restaurant ( this lady has worked here for 29 years and it certainly shows, the timing of everything was so precise), all the staff were so friendly. Christmas decorations were fabulous. My only downside was that the hotel was so hot, it felt like we were in the tropics, a little uncomfortable for me, but overall terrific.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Di A
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your extremely positive review of your recent stay at tha Palace and firstly may I say how pleased I was to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, I will certainly pass on your comments to Sue and the rest of the team as they really do appreciate hearing that our guests have enjoyed their stay. I was pleased to read that you thought our christmas decorations were fabulous as a lot of cost, time and effort goes into decorating the Hotels. I can only apologise that you felt the Hotel was too hot but it is something we try and monitor at all times as obviously it is very important to us to get the optimum temperature, Finaly all I can add is do not leave it so long between visits as we hope to accomodate you again soon.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Just had a pre Christmas weekend break at this hotel. Couldn't fault it. The decorations were amazing both inside and out. Rooms were of a high standard and plenty of wardrobe space . The staff were very polite and helpful . The food was brilliant , four of us in our party and although we all ordered different meals they were all served at the same time, more 4 * than 3*. I would recommend The Place hotel to even the poshest of my friends .

Room Tip: Room 22 is excellent with sea views and a sofa, twin beds. If you want a double bed opt for room 23...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LovelyWelshGirl
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your extremely positive review of your recent Tinsel and Turkey break with us at the Palace and firstly may I say how pleased I was to read that you thought our decorations were amazing, I was also pleased to read that you were very happy with your room, I will also pass on your comments regarding the food to our catering team as they do take a great pride in the food we produce and how we serve it. Finaly all I can add is we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

On entering the hotel car park, I was confronted by two large bollards. When these went down I proceeded to enter the car park (a car was just leaving).. As I entered, the bollards hit the underside of my car doing substantial damage costing £1500. I was obliged to sell the car at a large loss. The manager was most unhelpful, threatened me with the Police and sent Police to my house. I am 70 years old and have a heart problem. If you do not want any hassles - do not go to the Palace Hotel. You will surely have them !

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank 6Colin
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Myself & my partner booked a weekend break, we always stay in The Palace as we cannot find fault with it at all. The food is amazing, the full English Breakfast's are just the thing to get the day started. The staff are brilliant, if ever you need anything a member of staff is always on hand. The rooms have everything you need too, the Xmas decorations were up this weekend and it made the hotel even more inviting, bingo and entertainment in the evening. I would recommend this hotel definitely. 10 out of 10!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Jane W
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your extremely positive review for your recent stay with us at the Palace and firstly may I say how pleasing it was to read that you were unable to find any fault during your stay. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the food to our kitchen team as they do take a great pride in the meals that they produce and are always pleased when they get positive feed back. It was great to read that you thought our christmas decorations enhanced your stay and that you enjoyed our evening entertainment. Once again thank you and we will certainly try to live up to your score of 10 out of 10.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Queens Hotel
#6 of 17 in Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
Summerhill Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!