“IT GETS BETTER AND BETTER.......!”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed at The Palace on a number of occasions over the past 30 or so years and returned again in May (3rd year in a row - we must like it there!). Almost fully booked so we were given a standard room for the 1st night (and frankly would have been happy to stay there if that was all that had been available) and then moved across to an executive room for the remainder of our stay. Only a little extra but very good value.
Little more to say - seems to get better year on year, it's just a great place to chill out (even if we do feel rather young compared to the majority of the other guests!). Location is great on the sea front and dinner in the restaurant is always something to look forward to. We will doubtless return again!

Room Tip: Pau a little extra for Club or Executive rooms and get a great sea view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nigeljameson
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your extremely positive review of your latest stay at the Palace, it is always a pleasure to read reviews such as yours as it shows that our guests enjoy what we offer and that we have passed the test of time. I will certainly pass on your comments to the Kitchen as they do work very hard to produce the food that is served in the restaurant and they do like to hear that all of their efforts are appreciated. Finaly all I can add is we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel was booked solid so they could only accommodate us for one night. After that short experience we wished we could have stayed longer. Comfortable room, delicious food and very friendly, welcoming staff. It was also ideally located, being right on the sea front opposite the pier. We will definitely return in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Choose the club rooms with a sea view. Only slightly more expensive.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank 466Bob
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your very positive review of your brief visit to the Palace and I must say that I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your first stay with us, I will certainly pass on your comments to the Team as they really do appreciate the fact that all of their efforts are recognised. Finaly may I add that we look forward to seeing you again soon and hopefully for a longer stay.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Back at the Palace for the third year running.Did,nt turn out as expected,as my other half was taken ill.However,the staff(especially Sue Page) could not have been any kinder.The food and service are still first class and we have booked again for next year.Health being kind to us,we fully intend to enjoy our stay once more

Room Tip: 54 or 55 are best rooms but ask for any sea view room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank creakyknee

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your stay at the Palace, I was delighted to read that despite your partners illness you still enjoyed your stay and that Sue was able to be of help to you, I will certainly pass on your comments to her. Finally that just leaves me to say that we look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Having a holiday home in Brixham we visit Torbay very often. We met a friend for lunch and it was decided we would try The Palace.
I now wish our holiday home was somewhere else, I would LOVE a holiday at this hotel! We have had lunch there three times in 10 days we enjoyed it so much. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the food was delicious and piping hot, all in all a great lunch was had by all and the cost was very reasonable too
. I noticed they had advertisements of 'special offers' on reception and am sorely tempted!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Wegetaboutabit.
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your extremely positive review of the lunches you have recently had at the Palace, I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and the service and that you thought it was all reasonably priced, we really do strive to make sure that every body enjoys their visit to the Palace wether it is for a meal or for an extended stay. Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is my third review for food at the Palace, a place we treat as our 'local', a place to pop into after our shopping or when we just don't feel like cooking ...
So yesterday we popped in for crab sandwiches and half pints. What can I say that I've not said before? A welcoming atmosphere? Tick. Spotlessly clean tables? Tick. Prompt service? Tick? Somewhere to park the car without a fee? Tick. And lovely fresh crab sandwiches which come with salad and crisps. Aha, there is one minuscule, titchy little fault ... the oil and vinegar dispensers might look elegant, but they leak and so, if you're not careful (and even if you are!) you get more oil or vinegar on your salad or chips than you bargained for. This is just a very minor point but one which needs addressing.
A plus side is that the restaurant now has a dedicated fish menu - sensible for a hotel by the sea - and we have enjoyed some of the dishes and the specials menu changes daily. This is a friendly, clean, smart, comfortable place in which to eat, no wonder we return time and again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MargaretTotnes
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your very comprehensive and positive review of your lunch time experiences at the Palace, it is always a pleasure to read that local people enjoy our lunch time offerings as we really do strive to keep on top of what our customers want, hence the introduction of our fish menu and can I say I am really pleased that you think it is a hit. I have taken on board your comments regarding the cruet sets and as discussed with you we will be reviewing the style that we use. Finaly may I add that I look forward to seeing you in the Palace soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

What a gem!! We have always been cautious of Seaside Hotels in the past, trimmed to the bone and grotty rooms etc.
The Palace is just what the name says. The rooms are lovely, the public rooms spacious, and the Restaurant a joy to behold.
Lets not forget the polite and very helpful staff, nothing is too much trouble for them. Our Father has trouble sleeping without extra pillows, the request was dealt with, with a smile and a cheerful conversation.
You get what you pay for in this world, yes it’s a bit pricier but worth every penny. We WILL be back!!

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are worth it
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank nolegs
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your very complimentary report of your recent stay at the Palace and may I say I was extremely pleased to read that we had exceeded your expectations in all areas. It always gives me great pleasure to read that we have been able to restore peoples faith in Seaside Hotels and hopefully we will be welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just returned from yet another great stay at the Palace in Paignton - think this is the 6th or 7th time. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. Rooms were excellent, clean and extremely reasonable compared to other hotels i have stayed in. Should be rated more than a 3 star! Couldn't complain about anything (Which isn't like me at all!) Staff all very friendly, and the food couldn't be faulted. No wonder you have to book well in advance. All rooms I have stayed in have been quiet except the last minute room overlooking the side by the kitchens. Couldn't be helped - would sooner have an early start than not go at all! Can't wait to return...

Room Tip: Sea view are great, but can get hot on a sunny morning (simply use the fan supplied) Be thankful yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Hortyboy

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your extremely positive review of your recent stay at the Palace. It gave me great pleasure to read how you had enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I will certainly pass on your comments to the team as they really do enjoy hearing that people have enjoyed their stay and intend to visit again. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Queens Hotel
#6 of 17 in Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
Summerhill Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!