Whitehill Country Park
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsstoke gabrielcamping tripshower blockcraft centreslight slopecamping podshot tubcraft roomlovely campsitetoilets showersgames roomwell stocked shopon arrivalnext yearbeautiful sitelaundry roomoutdoor pool
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I came across Whitehill Country Park after searching for hours. I was sold by the pictures and the area. We wanted a mini break with our friend, which means it would be 4 adults and 2 babies 16 months old. We opt for the static caravans, and was told the two bedroom one would be big enough. No where it it big enough if you are using a travel cot. We spend the first two nights alone and we had to put the cot on top of one of the single beds.

I was shocked and disappointed to find out they have a club at night, which plays really loud music until 12 o'clock. You can hear everything, and complaining doesnt help either. When our friends arrived we decided to walk and see what the fuss is all about, only to find that they allow children, as little as two run around in the pub/club at 10.30 at nights. These parents obviously doesnt know better, and I think children at that age should be in bed anyway, but I couldnt believe that they would actually allow that!

Not my ideal place, and wouldnt recommend it to anyone!

3  Thank poeksi
Claire J, Manager at Whitehill Country Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

We are sorry to hear that our park did not suit you and you felt your accommodation was not large enough. As holiday caravans are fairly compact, a travel cot will rarely fit into the bedrooms. We would usually recommend that they be placed in the living area.

Children are not permitted in the Hayloft Bar area after 9pm, but as a family park, we do allow children into the Granary Bar where the evening entertainment is held up until 11pm. A lot of our guests enjoy the family oriented evening activities, but we understand that this may not suit everyone’s taste. Thank you for your comments regarding the noise levels. We will be looking into this.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here for the Friday and Saturday night over the August bank holiday weekend. The site is clean and tidy in a pleasant countryside location just outside of Paignton. The pitch we were given was in a camping field on top of a hill. The field contained all the basic facilities needed for a camping trip new toilet and shower block, and washing up area. I will say however the toilet and shower block could of done with being cleaned a bit more frequently but was not dirty by any means, just not as clean as they could be (if that makes any sense?). Also I think the camping field could do with having the pitches marked out more clearly, improved tarmac road through the field (maybe a loop one way route) and a more structured parking system next to the pitches as people parked quite randomly which could make getting to some pitches quite awkward.

Another thing I would say is the club at night was a bit louder then I expected and could be heard fairly clearly even from our camping field which was quite a distance away. So if you are the sort of person who needs quiet to sleep earplugs might be needed especially if staying in one of the fields nearer the main bar/clubhouse. It was ok where we were but any closer and the music would of probably got on my nerves as im a fairly light sleeper.

Anyhow to sum up the site is pretty and looks like it has good activities for children, the reception staff are friendly and helpful and the location is very good. Im not sure as to whether we will stay again but there is a chance we will.

Room Tip: A tip to other potential campers ask for a pitch in one of the more distant fields if staying during a period when the club is in full swing if your not keen on hearing to much noise from the evening entertainment (I don't know if the club operates out of season).
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments about the noise from the entertainment, we will be looking into this and the other points that you mentioned. We are always looking for ways to improve our site and our guest’s holiday experience, so thank you very much for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Just returned from Whitehill. This is my 5th visit over the last 5 years and still as good as previous visits. I went with another family and our childrens ages ranging from 2 - 14. I just dont really understand the bad reviews on here. The site is fairly low key but depends on what type of holiday you are after, go to Haven if you are after a super hectic holiday. Whitehill has a great heated outdoor swimming pool, play areas dotted around the site, clubhouse, nice bar and plenty of washroom/shower facilities. There is a new shower block at the top fields which is immaculately kept, would say the bottom shower block and washroom facilities are getting a bit tired now and could do with an update. There is another shower block near the pods which is also very well kept and also has a bath for the littlns who dont like the shower. I would also say that the top fields (electric and non electric pitches) are better because if there is heavy rain the bottom field does tend to get a bit boggy and the drainage is obviously not so good ! I have visited many camp sites and have to say this is the best and I will definately be returning next year.

1  Thank Joanne O
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Super site, I recommend pitches at the top as the water will drain down if it rains. Good size pitch with electrical hookup. Excellent toilets and showers, probably the best camping ones I have seen. Very good facilities, shop, craft shop and restaurant (good for breakfast). We didn’t go into the heated outdoor swimming pool but it was very popular and must have been pretty warm. The main bar opens out into some decking which is nice but rather irritatingly the bar doesn’t allow kids after 9pm. One can go into the family room but this has tables with fixed chairs which are difficult to get into for an adult plus there are two ping pong / airhocky tables (not sure which) plus a number of video games, all rather noisy. One thing that I found very odd was the staff’s ambivalence to the Olympics, it seemed rather difficult for them to change channels on the various TVs and before the 200 metres they had set up a Karaoke and didn’t seem to think it was possible to turn off music from the machine and to turn on the commentary on the TV. Thankfully I found the chap who set up the Karaoke and he turned it for the duration of the race and then almost immediately turned it back on again as 9pm was Karaoke night…needless to say the large crowd the had watch the race immediately dissipated. In terms of location the camp site is excellent, only 4 miles from Paignton with Morrison’s, Sainsbury’s and McDonalds nearby.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We left site a day early due to bad weather, and our pitch being like a bog! Whilst I understand that the park cannot control the weather, they could control the surface drainage on site!
Toilets had a odd smell, and there are washing up facilties at the rear of the female and males toilets which seemed to be a congregation point for both teenage boys and girls in the opposite sex toilets, which was reported to reception!
Entertainment in the evening was lovely for the children and the pool was good fun and the mornings activities were also good for the children.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Claire J, Manager at Whitehill Country Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that your family enjoyed the pool, activities and entertainment. Thank you for informing our reception about the teenagers onsite using the incorrect toilet facilities. We are sorry to hear that you left a day early. We have a substantial drainage system in place throughout our touring fields, and every effort has been made to maintain the quality of our pitches through the unprecedented rainfall over the past few months. We apologise that your allocated pitch was not to our usual high standards.