“Excellent food and great staff”

Bay Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I have just returned from a four night stay at the Esplanade (4th-8th October) and after reading the reviews felt I had to add my own comments.

I travelled with my mum, she is 78 and I am 40. Our package was all inclusive, which basically means half board plus free alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks in the evening between 7:30 and 10:30.

Yes the hotel is in desperate need of decoration and my bedroom was small, as a few others have pointed out. The sink in the bathroom was tiny and is a little awkward when cleaning your teeth! The shower cubicle was compact although powerful and the water was always hot and I didn't have a problem with the temperature changing as someone else did. I wouldn't say the room was dirty as the cleaner obviously did the best she could. The bed sheets were clean and the bathroom was as clean as she could make it (there is mould on the silicone around the base of the shower which needs to be replaced). Also, there were stains on the chair and carpet which should be replaced.

Anyway, now I've got the only bad points out of the way, I can honestly say the rest of my experience was lovely. The staff were very friendly and polite, the food was excellent and very quickly served and the hotel itself overlooks the sea ( I had a lovely sea view from my room which I paid an extra £10 for at the time of booking, well worth it). We had booked two single rooms and they were next to each other as I requested at the time of booking so that was great. We were on the first floor so had to use the lifts regularly as my mum doesn't walk very well and we never had to queue for them. The entertainment was very good every night, special mentions go to Lee, Katy May and the guy who played the electric guitar (Steve I think but not sure). Getting our free drinks from the bar was quick and easy.

These holidays are tailored towards the over 50s which I was well aware of before I went so was not surprised to be one of the youngest guests staying at the hotel. I think the majority of the other guests were happy with their stay although I overheard one lady moaning about the food on more than one occasion which really annoyed me because
I thought the whole eating experience was excellent. I decided after the first breakfast that I didn't like the sausage so didn't have it again as you can pick which items you want on your cooked breakfast. I got extra bacon instead which was better than I cook myself!

Considering we paid £277.00 each which included a sea view, front seat on the coach, single room supplement, breakfast, evening meal and unlimited drinks in the evening, entertainment plus two excursions with a packed lunch one day I think this holiday was well worth what we paid. Reading some of these reviews, I honestly wonder what some people expect for their money.

As a last note I would like to mention our driver for the week, Bob, a lovely guy from Cardiff who was very knowledgable about the area and kept us entertained every day. Having a nice driver definitely makes a difference so cheers Bob. x

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Mother-Clanger

Reviewed September 25, 2010

booked a long weekend with shearings out of paper cost us £75 each.Went with open mind and were very pleasantly suprised staff were great food was good with a reasonable choice of dishes the room was a little on the small side but the view out of window made up for that!
The biggest shock of the weekend was to find that we were the youngest couple in the hotel and at 42 and 37 that takes some doing! The majority of the people in the hotel appeared to be over 60 the majority of them were great but we did come across a few who seemed to expect ritz type service for bargain basement prices my message to them would be to get real.
I have stayed in far worse hotels for a lot more money and would recomend this hotel if you dont mind the odd arrogant oap sit back and enjoy the entertainment!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sparkymark9
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed for three nights and found the hotel to be excellent value for money. The room was a bit small but it was clean and comfortable and had a wonderful sea view. The food was good. I don't know how they can produce food of this standard for the price they charge and make a profit ! The service was good and staff friendly in all areas of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tourist4753
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We have just returned from a long weekend at the Esplanade and can't wait to go for the next weekend. Admittedly we have a great set of friends for company but we really enjoyed the whole weekend. Our friends have used the hotel before but it was our first visit. We had a sea view room and the room is basic but it is clean and has everything you need. The food choice and quality was good and the staff throughout the hotel are excellent. The entertainment was varied and good. The hotel is located right on the front at Paignton and the bus service along the coast was great. The hotel has been recently decorated in parts. For value for money we would certainly rate this hotel. The only downside were the sea gulls but this is the seaside. Coming from another seaside town I find them a real nuisance, not helped by the fact that visitors still feed them not realising just how vicious and menacing these birds are.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank DaisyMinor
Reviewed August 5, 2010

our room was at the backof the hotel but we were not disappointed it wasa big room nice furniture and spotless with ample en suite we found it very peaceful yes we could hear seagullsbut its only to be expected the hotel is on the sea front and they didnt keep us awake the food and presentation was excellent with plenty of choice the restaurant staff lovely we had a waiter called ashley his friendly personality made meal times enjoyable as did the person who was working on the morning we left thank you both the bar area was very comfortable and pleasant with lovely views we look foward to going again same room same chef and restaurant staff thank you all

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank patsmith715
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed for a week with Shearings. The staff are wonderful, couldn't fault them. The room like other people have said was very small and VERY hot although a fan was provided. Window wouldn't open far and as we were at the back on a flat rood we had a lot of seagull noise - day and night! But you expect this at the sea side!! Bathroom was very old and had no window and the fan was useless. but shower (which we had requested) was okay. It was a bit grubby. Some rooms have baths so the person who complained there was no bath obviously didn't request one when they booked! The beach/harbour is a very short walk across a road and a big green. The main street and bus station, amusement arcades, steam railway are 5 min walk for someone with normal mobility. Lots of elderly stay here as it is a Shearings hotel. Food was very good, good variety. Choice of meat, fish, chefs special and vegetarian option. 3 choices of dessert and 3 starters. Service was usually very quick and cheerful. We had a selection of different veg/potatoes each day. I guess the food depends which chef is on. Full English breakfasts are tiny and when I asked for extra bacon one day I was told it wasn't allowed although my husband was allowed an extra sausage each day! The outside area was being decorated and was cordoned off, but who would want to sit there when you have a fabulous espanade just a few mins walk on flat ground?! The main steps were being painted but access was through one of the lounges so it was fine. 2 toddlers were staying while we were there and the staff gave them lots of attention. The staff really were good, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble (except the extra bacon which was very tight!). There is a bar on the main level and also one downstairs where the entertainment room is. There is a large games room with a pool table and a full size snooker table, and darts. If you get the chance to see the variety show at Babbacombe Theatre - go - it is very good! Also Paignton Zoo is worth a visit, and Bygones.

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank Butterfly012
Reviewed July 26, 2010

There is nowhere to start listing what was Not right about this hotel. The staff were friendly and obliging, but I had my doubts if any of the waiters had any training. The noise from the seagulls went on all night - perhaps as it was time for them to rear their young. We couldn't close the window unless we wanted to be stifled, and there was no aircon. "Discover Devon" consisted of isolated cafes/restaurants with expensive gift shops nearby. There was ongoing work in progress which started early morning, therefore there was no outside area in which to relax, and the sun lounge was being attacked.Had we been told BEFORE our arrival, we would have chosen another venue. As it is, we won't be going with Shearings again!l

• Stayed: June 2010
3  Thank WalsallPaul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#6 of 17 in Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
Summerhill Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!