“Thank You”

Bay Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Another wonderful New Year break at this hotel. Wonderful staff, great hospitality, superb entertainment and fantastic food. We will return again, as will the people we met and had a great time with. We had a great bedroom and yes the en suite was small, but more than adequate for our stay. Thank you to Gre

2  Thank jemima73
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thank you Jemima73 for posting another great 5 star review.
So pleased to read that you enjoyed another wonderful New Year break with us. The atmosphere here was great over Christmas and New Year and all guests reported a great time. I am pleased you found the staff hospitality, food and entertainment all great and again thank you for posting on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you again in the future and perhaps next New Year.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We stayed at the Espanade Hotel on a Monday to Friday break with Shearings and had a lovely stay. The hotel is very clean and tidy, our room was small but clean and had everything we needed as we only used it to sleep in. The dinning room and bar areas are nice also they had good entertainment every night. The food was good and waiter service excellent. The hotel is not 5 star but the staff try to do 5 star treatment, it is situated right on the front prom and just a short flat walk to the town centre, ideal place for people with waking problems.

Room Tip: Think you have to pay extra for sea view room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you Jeffngrace, for taking the time to posting a great 5 star review.
I will pass on all your kind comments to the staff, especially about the 5 star treatment. We always aim to please and hope that all our guests enjoy their stay. I am glad you found the room, food, entertainment and service all to your satisfaction, hope you may enjoy another stay with us in the future.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have just returned from a lovely 5 day short break with Shearings to the Esplanade hotel,. which is in a good position located on the sea front, with an easy short walk into Paignton town centre. We took my parents who are in their late 80's and have slight mobility problems so when we arrived at the hotel we were a bit concerned as to be honest the access to the hotel could be a bit of an issue as quite a few steps, however thankfully they managed it. The rooms are quite small especially the bathrooms also a little dated however adequate, I suppose if we have a bit of a complaint my parents struggled getting into the shower as it is a really large step up, considering the high volume of elderly guests this is quite surprising? also with exception to a bar of soap there were no toiletries at all which is really unsual for a hotel?.

We were very impressed with all Staff who were really friendly, helpful and all very hardworking, food choice and quality very good with good portions, entertainment was excellent with a good variety each night.we especially liked the Mr Bean sketch and the guy who sang "Bring him home" and the 4 free drinks each per night were very welcomed.
Our main coach driver Brian and our days out share driver Wayne were both excellent both were very imformative of the area. This short 5 day break to Paignton was excellent value for money, so If you are looking for a value for money break, in a perfect seaside location, the Esplanade hotel and Shearings come highly recommended, we would be happy to return to this hotel again.. *** Thank you Shearings

4  Thank Janet R

Thank you Janet R for taking the time to post a review of your holiday. I am pleased to read that you and your parents had a good time here. Again I am very pleased to read all your kind comments about the helpful, hardworking hotel staff; I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff & drivers. Great to read how much you also enjoyed the food and also the entertainment, especially our host, Lee (Mr Bean). The steps into the hotel are sometimes a concern for people with mobility problems and we are classes as ‘assisted aid’, due the steps into the hotel, however we have an access road to the side, which prevents a ramp access, however I do I hope you will return again in the future.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

If you are looking for a value for money break, in a perfect seaside location, with food that is of exceptional quality, then look no further than the Esplanade. Okay, the rooms are perhaps a little dated, but the aforementioned points more than make up for this. Also, my wife and I thankfully are able- bodied, but disabled access could be a problem for some.

2  Thank Sean Y

Thank you SEAN Y for taking the time to post a great review of your stay with us.
I am very happy to read how much you enjoyed the food, I will pass on your comments to our head chef. We always try to create a happy holiday experience and I am pleased to read that you found all to be just so. I hope you may return again in the future.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We've just returned from a Shearings holiday to this hotel & found it to be excellent value for the price we paid ( the 4 free drinks each per night were especially welcome, as was the Wine of the month offer ) The hotel is nicely located on the sea front, with a short walk into Paignton town centre.
We upgraded to a sea view room, which was a good choice apparently, recently refurbished, warm & comfortable with a reliable shower & plenty of hot water.
The restaurant had a pleasant ambience - food was of a good standard and plenty of choice. The service from our waiter Joe was rapid & friendly, in fact we were impressed with all of the hotel staff.
We would be happy to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Standard plus sea view room on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doug T

Thank you DOUG-T188 for taking the time to post a review of your holiday, I am very pleased to read all your great comments, especially about the staff, Joe is a lovely lad, who often receives great comments from guests, very pleased you were impressed with all staff. I am glad you liked our recently refurbished bedroom, we have a number of rooms refurbished each year and those with sea-views are very warmly received. I am very pleased to read that you would return and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed for 5 Days. Found Food ok entertainment ok, Bar and Restaurant staff very good.My complaint was the Bed in my Room. Springs where sticking up when you run your hands over it, and when you laid down on it they stuck in your back. After an hour went down to reception to ask for a different mattress or a Room change I was in 227, was told only room available was a room which the toilet never worked, Deputy Manager bought a mattress cover to place over Mattress till the Morning. Spoke to the same Lady next morning, to say it was still Horrenduous and I would take other room with no Toilet, that room was not available NOW, I told her I was not there the 2nd night, but would like it rectified for the following night, her reply was Housekeeping had just taken a mattress up the Stairs to change it. Totally Fobbed off, on my return same mattress with a Duvet Cover on it now. I suggest the Lady I spoke to goes and stays and trys to sleep on that mattress for 4 nights, then she will realize why customers complain. If the hotel was full they could of offered to transfer me to any of there neighbouring hotels within the company. I would of scored this hotel an Average score, but rated poor due to lack of sleep. Would not return to this hotel, and will use another hotel the next time I am there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank 525Rach

Replies – Thank you 525RACH for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you did not find the hotel bed to your satisfaction, the duty managers always try to do their utmost to rectify problems, however on this occasion it seems that you were not offered an alternative room, although often we are full and not able to change rooms. We do not usually receive complaints about our beds, as you will see from previous TripAdvisor reviews, however we always endeavour to create a happy holiday experience and on this occasion we have failed, again I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Went for a Gala Party weekend with National holidays, and was quite disappointed. The staff were brilliant but sadly the hotel was a let down. We had a room with a wonderful view....straight into the car parked inches from our window! The room was basic with a tiny (and that's being generous) en-suite, with a tiny shower and an awful smell. Apparently our room had been upgraded, but we failed to see how. The first night the food was gorgeous so we had high hopes, but meals deteriorated from there with small portions, little choice and poor quality food. The "entertainment" on the one night we attended was poor and a little condescending, so we opted to go out instead.
A real shame as the staff could not do enough for you, and the hotel has a wonderful location. With a lot of money and TLC this could be a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view as previous traveller recommends.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pat W
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you Pat W for taking time to post a review.
Thank you for your comments about the brilliant staff, we aim to please. I am sorry you did not find the upgraded room to your liking, they were only refurbished in January 2013, however it is worth paying extra for a sea-view, as all other rooms are either looking over the car park or back of the hotel. I am surprised by your comments about the food as we usually receive excellent comments about food, see other tripadvisors. Our entertainment is also regarded as excellent, maybe you should have give it try on another night, as there are different acts each evening. National holidays are a value for money break, the gals break including gala dinner and four drinks vouchers, which I am hoping you found very good value for money for the price.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#1 of 17 in Paignton
The Redcliffe Hotel
The Redcliffe Hotel
#6 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!