“Dated”

Bay Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Went for a Gala Party weekend with National holidays, and was quite disappointed. The staff were brilliant but sadly the hotel was a let down. We had a room with a wonderful view....straight into the car parked inches from our window! The room was basic with a tiny (and that's being generous) en-suite, with a tiny shower and an awful smell. Apparently our room had been upgraded, but we failed to see how. The first night the food was gorgeous so we had high hopes, but meals deteriorated from there with small portions, little choice and poor quality food. The "entertainment" on the one night we attended was poor and a little condescending, so we opted to go out instead.
A real shame as the staff could not do enough for you, and the hotel has a wonderful location. With a lot of money and TLC this could be a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view as previous traveller recommends.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pat W
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you Pat W for taking time to post a review.
Thank you for your comments about the brilliant staff, we aim to please. I am sorry you did not find the upgraded room to your liking, they were only refurbished in January 2013, however it is worth paying extra for a sea-view, as all other rooms are either looking over the car park or back of the hotel. I am surprised by your comments about the food as we usually receive excellent comments about food, see other tripadvisors. Our entertainment is also regarded as excellent, maybe you should have give it try on another night, as there are different acts each evening. National holidays are a value for money break, the gals break including gala dinner and four drinks vouchers, which I am hoping you found very good value for money for the price.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend break. Staff, Food and entertainment were very good. But I should think we had the worst room in Hotel, very cold, black mould on ceiling and windows. The bathroom was terrible, cold with a foul smell, window ledge black with dampness also shower curtain should have been taking down and a new one installed, it was so bad I would not even have a shower, my Husband braved it. We should have reported it and been moved but Hotel was full. We did see some rooms when doors opened and they were better.
If we had better accommodation it would have been good value.

Room Tip: We if you are staying here do not have room 205, cold and mouldy
1  Thank Janet B

Thank you Janet B for taking the time to post your review.
I am pleased to read how you found the staff, food and entertainment all very good, however apologies if you did not find the room to your liking, although it is always best to report any problems, which we always endeavour to rectify whilst you are with us rather than when you have already left, as we may have been able to offer an alternative room.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Had a 5 day break at the esplanade hotel with shearings holidays.The hotel is in an excellent location on the sea front and very close to the main shops. The hotel was clean and tidy and very comfortable, all the staff were polite and helpful and worked very hard. The entertainment was excellent and everyone had a good time.

2  Thank Christopher M

Thank you Christopher M, for taking the time to post your great 5 star review.
It is lovely to read all the positive comments about your holiday here; I will of course pass these comments on to each department. The staff really are a great asset, so again thanks for your comments and I hope you may return in the future.

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Just returned froma 4 day break with Shearings we paid extra for a sea view room a lot of people who had basic rooms said their rooms were tiny and so were shower cubicles so glad we upgraded. Rooms and hotel very clean entertainment good the meals are ok small portions but for what we paid I could not grumble. Our driver Brian was great the trips were good and he was very informative. Coach very comfortable although I would say we sat in front of someone who never shut up loud noisy and we had to hear the history of his life he became a nuisance and on the trips which spoilt it for us somewhat - still takes all sorts, became abusive when requested to quieten down
The staff are lovely a special mention for the bar staff so friendly and helpful the 4 free drinks each per day was brilliant. All in all a good value break the only downside for us is the feeder coaches merging at Cawley then all around the Wrekin to get home but I suppose you get what you pay for. We met some lovely people also a few "strange" ones lol

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank blonde1505

Thank you Susan C, for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us.
Again I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to your driver Brian, he really is a gem! Thank you for your comments about the food, entertainment and of course the lovely comments about the staff, especially bar staff, which I will also pass on your comments too. I am sorry you had someone on your coach, who was disruptive, I am sure Brian would have had a word for you.I hope this did not put you off returning and may see you again the future.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Back from a 3 night stay at the Esplanade with National Holidays and cannot fault it.The Hotel is in an excellent location, just a small walk to the centre.We booked a sea view room which was slightly bigger and it was ideal, the beds were comfortable and very clean.Yes there were marks on the wall and cracks here and there but you get that in most hotels.The food was really nice with multiple choices for breakfast and dinner, the portions were not massive but adequate and with waiter service this cut down on the waste you see so often with self service.The wait between courses was only what you would get in a restaurant so no complaints there.The waiters worked very hard and were always pleasant as were the rest of the staff that ran the hotel. We had a great weekend and will definitely be going again to this hotel.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room
2  Thank Jeff G

Thank you Jeff G, for taking the time to post your recent holiday review.
I am very pleased to read your 5 star review and all the great comments about the room, it really is worth the extra for the sea view! thank you for your comments about the food and our great staff, I will pass on your comments and thank you again. Great to read that you would return, so see you again in the future.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

WE have just returned from The Esplanade, We found it to be very good value for money.
Shearings do budget holidays so if you want to relax in luxury, stick your hand in your pocket and pay luxury prices.!!! The hotel was clean, warm (I turned my radiator completely and the room was still cosy). The food was very good and with several choices.The hotel had good entertainment every night.Good vocals,good comedy. The bar, restaurant staff, and management were all very friendly.
It is idealy situated right on the promenade overlooking the sea with the Pier just a short stroll away
As you leave the car park the main shopping area is but a couple of minutes walk to your left. it starts with the usual gift shops, arcades and bars. The first bar/restuarant you will find is believe it or not. Wetherspoons. Overe the road are two regular pubs.for the traditionalist.
The weather was not very kind to us, so I would love to see this town in the summer.
I would not hesitate to return to The Esplanade.
As Chris Tarrant says WELL DONE EVERYBODY.

Room Tip: Try for room 116, brilliant view and right next to the lift.
2  Thank josephsefton
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you Joseph Sefton, for taking the time to post your great review. I remember you and your wife, as when we spoke you told me about how much you liked your room, and that you would request it again. We always try to ensure a value for money holiday with us, so I am really pleased to read all your lovely comments, especially about the staff and service; and of course about how much you enjoyed our entertainment, I will pass on all your comments to the staff. The hotel is ideally situated and is in a great location for the beach, so a summer visit is a must! I am very glad you had such an enjoyable stay and look forward to your next visit. Thanks you again for your lovely comments.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Back from another good value Shearings break- have been to this hotel 3 times in past year so I'm clearly a happy customer! Lovely warm welcome from staff, Andy and Ashley excellent with customers in bar- Lee was BRILLIANT as usual- he really makes it a joy to visit Paignton!!! I am now looking forward to another Shearings break at Eastbourne but am not expecting the high standard of entertainment I enjoyed here. I do hope to come again in summer.
Would recommend sea-view rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a higher sea view room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patricia A

Thanks you Patricia A, Great to read that you have stayed with us 3 times in the past year, we always try to create a happy holiday experience you clearly are a very happy customer! Your lovely comments are greatly received. I will, of course, pass on your lovely comments about the staff, especially Andy and Ashley and of course Lee, who will all be really pleased. I am sure you will have a great time in Eastbourne. Looking forward to your next visit next summer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Bay Tor Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton
Preston Sands Hotel
Preston Sands Hotel
#10 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!