“Loved the place”

Bay Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hubby and I just returned from a 5 day Shearings trip, staying at The Esplanade. Yes, the place is a little tired and the rooms and bathrooms small but the overall impression is of a happy, cheerful, well run hotel with friendly, hard working staff, in an unbeatable situation on the seafront. Public rooms are large and comfortable. The entertainment was very good, especially Daniel, and the quirky lay out of the hotel was very entertaining and I only got lost once! The food was good and the service excellent. No complaints on that score.I would happily recommend the hotel and be happy to return. Thank you. Anne and Colin, Room 232.

Room Tip: We had a sea facing room with twin beds. I understand twin bedded rooms are slightly bigger than dou...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nanny
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

WOW, another FIVE STAR review, thank you, what can I say? it sounds like you had a fantastic time on holiday here! such great reading, especially about the staff and service you received. We always endevour to creat a happy holiday experienence, and it sounds from your lovely review, that you that you will hopefully return to visit one day and again thank you for recommending us. Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Generally good hotel accommodation, room newly decorated but bathroom/ shower room!!! very small and cramped. Cheesy saturday entertainment kept us amused. Will be going back on one of their inclusive packages. Friendly service throughout and overall very pleased.

Room Tip: Although they say that parking is £5 a day they might waive this charge. Have one of their 2 for 1 e...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for posting your kind review. I am pleased you found everything to your liking and that you would return. We have anumber of rooms refurbished each year, I am pleased you liked your room and great to read you would return by booking one of our bay inclusive packages, which are great value breaks.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

went on an 8 day trip with shearings this month(june) found the hotel exactly what we expected. Very clean, staff polite and helpful,food good and hotel in a great location. Must say the room was a good size but the bathroom was very small, but so what we only spent half an hour in there a day showering etc.! Only criticism was the drinks were on the expensive side, As usual Shearings were organised to the hilt and the driver friendly keep up the good work Bay hotels and Shearings. Would return again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review. Again it is a great read, especaily about the staff, cleanliness and food, and I will pass on your comments to our friendly drivers. It seems everything was to your liking and that you would return. I hope you visit again in the not too distant future, when we will always try to endevour to create a memorable holiday experience. Thank you

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I booked a one night stay for my husband and myself, I thought it a bit pricey but as it was sea front and sea view room and parking hopefully worth it. When we booked in we were down for 2 nights. I said we only booked one night but was told that they don't do one night stays, hence we were booked in for 2. I am very annoyed that nowhere in the booking process did it mention minimum 2 nights stay, there was no mention from the reception about reimbursement. The room itself smelt very musty every time we entered it but we couldn't have the window open for long due to a noisy generator-type buzzing outside somewhere. Food was passable, nothing extraordinary and the breakfasts must all be pre-cooked. On ordering it only took 2 minutes to be brought to the table and my poached eggs were luke warm to say the least and the whole of my husband's full English was tepid. All-in-all a very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Don't book room 118.
4  Thank Teri S
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry you found the hotel dissapointing and am very suprised you did not find room 118 to your liking, as this is a recenly refubished room, completed in January 2013! We have not recieved any complaints of noise from this room prior to this review and do not have a generator. The booking form on the internet clearly states 2/3/4 or 7 night breaks, sorry you did not see this at the time of booking. Again I am suprised you did not find breakfast to your liking, we usually have great comments regarding food, as you will see from some of our FIVE STAR reviews posted on here. We advise anyone who is unhappy, to please report to the duty manager, and we will do our utmost to rectify. I am sorry you did not find your 1 night stay to your liking.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Although the hotel is dated and tired it is value for money in good position for a cheap get-away by the sea. I met a few characters who also travelled solo & we had a bloody good laugh! All the staff friendly and helpful throughout. For the price I paid I would stay again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank myjugssmith8

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased you found the hotel to be value for money and of course thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendly and helpful staff, who all endevour to create a happy holiday experience. I am pleased you would stay again as this is a great recommedation.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I thought the tales of tiny bathrooms was exaggerated but I was in room 130 and the bathroom was sooooo small. I am only a petite female but even I could touch both sides of the bathroom without stretching.
The room was tiddly as well but the 2 sea-view windows made the room feel bigger. Shearings, WHY do you charge supplements for single rooms?
I visited Easter 2013, one of the coldest times of the year, but the room had an additional heater which kept the room toasty warm. Thank you management.
The food was plentiful and tasty and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The housekeeper was wonderful as well and the room was very clean.
Paignton zoo is a half-hour walk from the hotel and is well worth a visit.
All in all, this hotel is good value for money. I will go again, albeit when it is a bit warmer.

Room Tip: Get a sea-view if possible. Otherwise a single room would be claustrophobic
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Dawn S

What a great title to your review! thank you, again great reading.
Thank you for posting your review and of course all the lovely comments, especailly about the food, staff and service, it is really great to pass on your comments to our head chef and the rest of the team and I will also pass on your comments to our housekeeper. I print the reviews for all staff to see and am sure they will be as pleased as I am at your lovely review.Thank you and I hope you will visit again.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay at the Esplanade. This was our 3rd visit and won't be our last. Rooms have recently been refurbed and although on the small side (even smaller bathroom) they are clean and modern. We had a new high bed which was most welcome. Food and staff are very good with wide choices at both breakfast and in the evening. Joe our waiter really looked after us. Right on the seafront at Paignton, it is easy to visit the whole of Torbay by walking, bus, train or car. Value for money here cannot be beaten.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

WOW, again another great FIVE STAR REVIEW, thank you so much for your kind comments. We are pleased you found us to be value for money and also It is great to read that this is your 3rd visit, this is all the recommendation required to show that you are enjoying your holiday with us. I am pleased you had a refurbished room and of course will pass on your kind comments to Joe, he is a lovely lad and often recieves great comments. Again thanks you and look forward to your 4th visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#6 of 17 in Paignton
Bay Tor Park Hotel
Bay Tor Park Hotel
#25 of 85 in Torquay

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!