Bay Esplanade Hotel
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Wulfruna Hotel(Paignton)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsshearings holidaymr beanself drivesea viewcoach driverbuffet breakfastentertainment roomtiny bathroomsea frontenjoyable breakper daynight porterexcellent positionrestaurant staffevening entertainmentvisited this hotelpublic areas
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good location of hotel, staff very friendly, accommodating and was made to feel important by staff on reception, our room was in good decorative order, only minus, very small bathroom, will certainly go back, such alot to see and do, steam train to Dartmouth, value for money, good food, great entertainment, well done Shearings.

Room Tip: We just had what was given us and we were pleasantly surprised, we usually opt for a high floor room but for some reason they gave us basement rooms but we were delighted with it
3  Thank Pauline S
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review and thank you for your lovely comments about our reception staff. We treat all our guests with the same warm welcome and hope they all feel as you did on arrival, I am pleased you found the staff, food and service to your liking and I will also pass on your kind comments to our entertainments host.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

A small group of us took advantage of one of the week-end special deals and very much enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was a little tired decoratively but everything worked. The TV in the room had a bit of trouble with picture stability, but we didn't watch it much except for news and weather. The restaurant served reasonable quality meals and our waiter was excellent. If you want an economical week-end away, bed, breakfast, & evening meal plus 4 drinks vouchers per day at £84 per person for 3 nights you can't go wrong. The hotel is well situated for coastal walks and close to the Dartmouth-Paignton Steam railway.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GrumpyBob1950

Thank you for taking time to review. I am pleased you found the room, meals and service to your liking. We offer a very good value holiday and I am happy you found this to be so.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

A nice hotel in a great location close to everything you need. I only stayed 1 night and I found the room ample in size and the general look of the hotel to what I expected. Where the Esplanade excells though is the staff. Extremely friendly compared to what you find in some 5 star hotels who could learn a lot from them. The personal touch counts and thats what I got from the second I checked in to the time I spent ordering a few drinks from the bar. Unfortunately I did not get to sample the food as my 6 year old son was more interested in just staying in the room at night playing on his new 3DS. Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel based merely on the location and the excellent service by the staff.

2  Thank Leigh D
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review and a big thank you for your lovely comments about the personal touch and excellent service (5 star - thanks). We always endevour to create a happy holiday experience, even if you only had 1 night, so I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay. I do remember you as I served you on the bar, so an extra thank you for your very kind comments about the staff. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope that your boy did too. I hope you may return in the future.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Just returned from Monday/Friday holiday. Excellent value again from Shearings. But big money needs spending on hotel. Had paid extra for sea view but room given 120 was tatty and grotty. Carpet needed either replacing or a good shampoo. Mould on walls/windows and no point in paying for sea view as windows so stained ( told due to weather conditions) impossible to see out of it! Having 4 days previously been in hospital for surgery was reluctant to sleep in this room. Reception extremely helpful gave me 3 keys to look at other rooms, but because we were restricted to needing a shower and twin beds opted for room 210 recently refurbished but no sea view. The extra we had paid for sea view was returned direct to my bank account. The reception area - first impression again very very tired and crying out for upgrading. Looking beyond this the staff turn the negatives into positives. Nothing was too much trouble. Jimmy the dining room waiter ran his legs off to please. Food was hot, tasty and appetising. Flexible eating times.Entertainment was excellent. Trips out very good. The 4 drinks vouchers came in handy. Hotel in a prime position on sea front. Overall it's the hard working staff that go the "extra mile" that make this holiday a success.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review and again thank you for the great comments about the staff, food, entertainment and the newly refurbished room, however apologies you found the first room not suitable. We do have the windows cleaned every fortnight, (weekly if needed), however if there has been a strong easterly wind, then the sea/salt does mark the windows, apologies for this, although it can happen the day after they have been cleaned!. We have a number of rooms refurbished each year, this year we also had a new lift, new fire alarm, new restaurant flooring. I am pleased you found the staff hard working and thank you for the comments that they "go the extra mile", we do have some excellent staff here, I will pass on all your comments about the staff, thank you.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 day break at this hotel.We had a twin bedded room which was spacious and well furnished.The bathroom was fairly large and well appointed.All aspects of our room were clean.
The food was good with plenty of choice to suit everyone.
All staff we encountered were friendly and keen to help.
We enjoyed the entertainment and the inclusive drinks deal was very welcome.
The hotel is located immediately opposite the beach and it is an easy level walk to the shops.
We hope to return to the hotel later in the year when it is warmer!

Room Tip: Twin bedded rooms seem to have more space.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KidlingtonYellow

Thank you for taking the time to review, it is much appreciated and thank you for all the great comments. I will pass on your comments to the staff. Great to read that you will be returning in the summer, the hotel really is a great location, especially in summer, opposite the beach! look forward to your next visit. Thank you