Bay Esplanade Hotel
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Wulfruna Hotel(Paignton)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsshearings holidaymr beanself drivesea viewcoach driverbuffet breakfastentertainment roomtiny bathroomsea frontenjoyable breakper daynight porterexcellent positionrestaurant staffevening entertainmentvisited this hotelpublic areas
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have just returned from a 5 day Shearings break to the Bay Esplanade hotel.

It was our first experience of a coach holiday in the UK and wasn't too sure what to expect. The journey was long (12 hours) from Sunderland but had plenty of refreshment stops and the driver (Brian) was excellent, he knew every nook and cranny of the Devon area!

We arrived around 5pm and check in was swift, staff friendly and welcoming. We had room 121 on the 1st floor. The room is a little small but it was clean, warm, had a small flat screen tv and the bed was comfy.

We were on a half board basis with 4 drinks per day each included. The restaurant is waiter service and we were shown to our seats (which is where sat for the duration). The menu gives you a choice of at least 3 different starters, main courses (including chefs special) and desserts. The food was good, what you would expect from a 3* hotel. There was always a selection of different meats/fish or chicken dishes throughout the stay. For breakfast the full English was a great start to the day, we also had cereal, fruit juice, toast and coffee.

I would like to give a special mention to Courtney and Grace who gave exceptional service and always with a smile. My partner is caeliac and I had mentioned this beforehand on dietary requests - he was delighted to be given gluten free bread and rolls! They also advised on which meals were gluten free.

The drinks voucher system - 4 drinks each per day was an added bonus! The drinks included in this system included most of the beers/spirits/wines and also tea/coffee. Ashley the barman was a friendly guy. There was entertainment on every night starting with bingo then a quiz followed by the main act. We only went down to watch the entertainment on the last night, which was a guy doing impressions (some better than others!) so can't comment on any other. The clientele is mainly over 60's (we're in our 50's) and they all seemed to enjoy themselves!

The location of the hotel is in a prime position directly oppoisite the beach and harbour. We walked to Goodrington which is a very pleasant walk, the seafront walk to Youngs park is beautiful. It's about a 10 minute walk. The surrounding area is flat so we decided to walk along the seafront to Torquay, it's around 3 1/2 miles, took us around an hour, it was a very refreshing walk. We got the number 12 bus back!

All in all I would say this hotel is in a great location, friendly, professional staff, comfortable rooms and excellent value for money. We had a lovely time.
As a travel agent I will definitely recommend this to any of my clients looking for a UK break.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank carol1302
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Wow, Thank you so much for such a great review, Especially from a travel agent, as I am sure you must visit lot's of hotels. I will pass on all your comments to the staff mentioned. Brian is a great driver and am sure helped make the most of your journey and trips out. It is great to read all your great comments about staff, food, etertainment etc. I am so pleased you found all to your liking, as I have noted on tripadvisor many times, we always endevour to create a happy, enjoyable, relaxing holiday, which will be remebered for all the right reasons. The esplanade is in a great location and we receive many, many repeat bookings each year and many regular guests, so Thank you for recommending us and hope you may visit again in the future.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here on a Shearings coach tour recently- great views if you pay for a sea view- well worth while-and a lovely hotel.

Staff very helpful and courteous, food good- the chef's special ran out before I had a chance to try it- so popular with guests.

Entertainment fabulous- Lee, the host, is brilliant, but Ben Nickell, who entertained us on Thursday evening, was absolutely brilliant- I laughed until i cried at his impressions- and bought the DVD.
Rooms clean and well-appointed, although rooms 1-8 were below ground floor.
Lift was not working-although they have two. Neither worked during my stay- check before staying as this could affect you if, like me, you have mobility issues.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely review. The views really are well worth the extra, although they do sometimes get booked up early. I am so happy to read that you found our staff to be so courteous and helpful, we pride ourselves on our friendly customer service and the staff really appreciate your kind comments, especially the Head chef Tim who has been with us for over 20 years. I will pass on your great review of our entertainment to our host Lee, they do a great job, don't they. Our new lift is being fitted in January, i hope you may return in the future. thank you once again.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

we had a weekend at this hotel as part of a coach trip .the location is excellent ,but the hotel is rather dated with small bedrooms and tiny bathroom . the lift didnt work but we were on the ground floor so it didnt worry us. we were told that the hotel is closing in the new year for a refurb. once that is done we would love to go back. the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was very good and the waiter was very good .

Room Tip: ours was a last minute coach trip but if booking yourself ask about room size and if the lift is working
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank supananlancs
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. the hotel is in a great location but bathrooms are small, however thanks you for the great commetns about the food and staff. We are closing in january for a new lift to be fitted and some rooms to be refurbished, so hopefully you will visit again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Having reviewed hotels used by shearings I am glad to say that double glazed windows, and outside has been improved. Guests tell me the food is good and rooms redecorated to a better standard.
Position of the hotel is excellent being on the sea front and only about 60 metres from Paignton harbour

Room Tip: I do not know which are best rooms but obviously those on the front overlook the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Peter C

Thank you for your review, I wasn't sure if you had stayed here or not from your review, however thanks for the comments about the rooms, windows and food. We do have on-going refurbishement, every year redecorating a number of rooms.I would agree that the sea front rooms offer a better outlook but are no larger.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

First actual stay at this hotel, though have visited the Riviera Suite many times for the entertainment. Yes, the lift is still not working but as I had booked a room on the first floor we could use the second lift so no problem there. The staff are wonderful, nothing is too much trouble for them and their manner is always warm and friendly. The rooms were adequate, as was the bathroom (how much space do you actually need in a bathroom?). Beds very comfortable, too. The food was excellent with at least three choices for each course. Evening entertainment was of a very good standard (apart from the Tuesday night comedian - too loud and a bit too coarse, I thought). The hotel guests are usually at least 60+ and deserve better than this. Lee the compere has been there several years now and has matured and improved tremendously since last time we saw him. As we boarded the coach to go home on our last day, all the staff came out onto the steps and waved their guests off. Such a lovely gesture!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Diane J
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

WOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR 5 STAR REVIEW! it is so nice to read such great comments. I do remember you, as did a number of other staff, after seeing your photo. We always try to go out of our way to try to ensure a happy holiday despite some small rooms here, so thanks again for your kind comments about the rooms. It is lovely to read how much you are looking forward to your next visit, please let me know when that is and I will try to ensure a room again on the first floor, as the lift is not being replaced until Janaury, as it needs structural work done whilst we are closed. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit. THANK YOU, you have made my day, as I sometimes have to reply to negative reviews and we always do try to leave our guests with a memorable holiday for all the right reasons.