“Brilliant wonderful weekend”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Brilliant wonderful weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

A group of 27 of us returned to the Queen's Hotel for the second year running for a three night weekend break returning home yesterday. All of us without exception had a great weekend. The food was excellent and we had wonderful entertainment all weekend. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We were greeted on arrival and given a lovely welcome. Lee the General Manager also boarded our coach to wish us well and safe journey home despite being on crutches. We have nothing but praise. There are a few smaller rooms but this overall did not effect the enjoyment of any of our group who were staying in them. We would definitely recommend and will be returning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Lee C, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Good afternoon! Thank you for taking the time to leave your wonderful comments. I am absolutely delighted that all 27 of you had another great weekend without exception.
It is so lovely to hear that you all found the food to be excellent. Our chefs are constantly trying to ensure that the food is of the highest standard by using only the finest locally sourced ingredients to create all the dishes on the extensive menu. I am delighted that this showed during your stay.
I am glad that you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, they really do strive to ensure each guest has a memorable stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments to them this evening and I just know that they will be very appreciative.
Some of our rooms are smaller than others due to the nature of the building but it’s great to hear that this did not detract from the enjoyment of any of your group who had a slightly smaller room.
I am glad you enjoyed the welcome and that you have nothing but praise for the hotel. It was lovely having your group stay with us and I really hope to welcome you all back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Gravesend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

first the bad bits, the twin room I had was so small we couldn't pass each other at the same time, the shower was a dribble, no soap was provided just pump action bottles bolted to the wall in case of theft. its the only room ive been in where you had to climb over the bed to open the window, which, was requested not to be left open when out due to pigeons entering the room. the lift claimed to hold four people, three is crowded, inadequate for a large hotel, there were queues. in the evening after a very expensive drink I found there was only one male toilet with one urinal for the whole downstairs, again there were queues. the bar, one lager, one bitter and one cider and was at its narrowest at the main route to the restaurant. the entertainment area was adequate but half the seats were facing away from the stage, people were constantly rearranging. DO NOT get rooms on the third floor 404-412, the corridor is so noisy you will not sleep until the last guest has run the gauntlet. my elderly father asked for a room with a bath, which did not happen, there are only six rooms with a bath. on the good side, the service was good, friendly and efficient, the food was very good but if you like your veg cooked properly you have to ask as all is al dente, good choice though. overall it seems they have spent too much on the coloured lights on the exterior and not enough on customer comfort. nice area, would go again but choose my room carefully as it seems all the automatic door closers are set to SLAM.

Room Tip: not third floor, some rooms are bigger than others, singles at top, mind the birds
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carer123
Lee C, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Good morning. Unfortunately I was on annual leave at the time of your visit so didn’t have the opportunity to see you personally. However my assistant manager and reservation manager had the unfortunate pleasure.
If I could start by saying that your group organiser, who brings many tours, brought our girls a gift to apologise for your attitude and also said that she would not be allowing you to travel with their company again as you have been problematic before, people will understand what the girls were up against in my absence.
Your elderly father may have asked you for a bath but you definitely did not pass this request on to us or your group organiser else we would have tried our best to accommodate your request. Nothing on the rooming lists denote that you wanted a bath. Most of our rooms have walk in showers as they are far more convenient for the majority of our guests.
The room is a standard twin room graded at the high three star standard and the luxury toiletries are much more expensive and quality for our guests than ‘soap bars’. However, when you complained about this we did give you a bar of soap immediately.
Our lift comfortably holds four average sized people and there is very rarely a ‘queue’ but even when two groups of people are wanting to use the lift, most people don’t mind waiting a couple of moments. But I am sorry if this inconvenienced you during your stay.
Our range of lager, cider and ale includes; Carlsberg, Budweiser, Holsten Pils, Thatchers, Magners, Magners Pear, Tetleys, Bays Gold, Manns Brown and Newcastle Brown Ale. Not one of each as you suggest.
You are correct that we do have one toilet on the ground floor and we do have plans to create more toilets going forward. All rooms are all en-suite and we do have more toilets in the swimming pool area.
With regard to the slamming doors, we have fitted fire door closers to all corridor doors that hold the doors open to prevent banging, and only release when the fire alarm sounds. You must have meant a specific bedroom door, as you accosted one of our other guests saying; “you f******g w*****s, stop slamming the doors, some people are trying to sleep”.
However when you left you said that you really enjoyed your stay and the fact that you say you would return makes me believe that you may be exaggerating some of your grievances.
I am delighted that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful as they really do try their utmost to deliver the best customer service possible. However your group organiser did have to politely ask you on several occasions to watch the way in which you conversed with the staff.
It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed the choice and the quality of our restaurant menu. If you ask for your meal to be prepared in a specific way, like extra soft veg, our Chefs will happily oblige any requests as they are also keen to please.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

First the good points rooms spotlessly clean but very small bathroom minute. Staff very friendly on whole price very cheap . However food very poor sometimes inedible not for me in anyway l do not give many bad reviews but have never been so pleased to leave a hotel in my life

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank mouseone
Lee C, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
My answer is to the audience reading this. I can honestly say that this person was truly a nightmare, and you just cannot please some people no matter how hard you try.

Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Returned recently from a 4 day coach holiday, staying at this 3 star hotel.
I was overwhelmed by the friendliness of the staff. The restaurant staff work non-stop and cannot do enough to satisfy every request. Our room was small, but pristine clean, and a newly refitted and spotless bathroom.
The bed was comfortable. All the usual causes for dissatisfaction were absent. Hook on bathroom door, dark, draughtproof curtains, opening windows, efficient reading lamps were all present and correct. Excellent breakfasts. I cannot praise this hotel enough. It isn't a palace, but for a lovely stay on a low budget, within walking distance of the sea and harbour, I cannot praise this hotel, and therefore, it's manager, enough.
Porterage of luggage to rooms was included. Evening entertainment, afternoon tea and quiz was available at the excellent bar. We will have no hesitation in booking again independently.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to have larger/longer rooms. However, there is only one tiny lift (but worth the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bi0nicAnn
Lee C, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Good evening, thank you for leaving your wonderful review of our hotel. It is absolutely lovely to hear that you were overwhelmed with the friendliness of our staff. They do their utmost to make sure that each and every guest feels at home and has an enjoyable experience.
I am delighted that you felt our restaurant and dining experience was efficient and pleasurable. We really do strive to make this something special for our guests every single evening.
It is also lovely to hear that your room was pristine clean and very comfortable, with all the essentials for a good nights sleep.
Your praise is most welcome and I will pass it on to all of our staff members who I know will be absolutely delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back independently to The Queens Hotel, in the not too distant future.

Kindest Regards,

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed for three nights. Excellent service from our (welsh) waitress, food tasty and good location. Rooms fine, but basic and no fresh towels or bedding during our stay, but it was clean. Facilities in the sister hotel at the front were available for use and good. Typical English seaside hotel, with good service and helpful staff. Many of the rooms were really small, ours was ok, but could do with a refurb, and views of rubbish outside the window was unpleasant. Did have a great weekend though.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Salcheltenham
Good morning, thank you for leaving your largely positive review of our hotel after your groups visit.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the service of Rachel in our restaurant, I have passed your comments on to her and she is thrilled you enjoyed your dining experience
I have also passed your kind comments about our menu being tasty to our chef who is also very pleased. They do work very hard to ensure each dish is beautifully presented and made with the finest ingredients.
With regards to the room, we provide fresh towels whenever a guest leaves them in the shower or bath, but because you left them hanging on the rail we assumed that you preferred they were not changed. It does outline this in your guest information.
We could have also changed your linen upon request, but as a standard rule we change them after three days as is common practice for most hotels. The environmental consequence of laundering daily is massive, but we would have gladly obliged any request from yourselves to do so.
I am also slightly confused as to your comments about views of rubbish outside the window, as all of our bins are locked up in a bin store and certainly not in the sight of any bedroom. However I still went to check your room immediately after reading this review but couldn't see the said rubbish. We do endeavour to make sure the inside and outside of our hotel is clean and tidy at all times.
It is great to hear you reiterate your comments about our good service as we strive to provide the optimum levels of customer service at all times, and I am glad that this showed during your stay.
Overall I am delighted that you had a great weekend and I look forward to welcoming your group back to The Queens Hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We saw this Hotel advertised in the Daily Mail and couldnt believe the price £28 per night Dinner Bed and Breakfast, the brochure was sent for and the trip advisor reviews consulted and we decided to give it a try.
Frankly for the price we didnt expect too much and assumed it would be the sort of hotel where you had to order your Dinner at Breakfast time, and assumed Breakfast would be a help yourself Buffet. How wrong we were! every meal was delightfull, very well presented, tasty and hot, yet the service was so slick but friendly, we couldnt believe how wonderfull the food was and how beautifully presented the dining room was..
All the staff were lovely but a special mention for Keith, he was everywhere!, serving our drinks before dinner in the bar, then in the restaurant serving drinks, clearing tables with a friendly word for everyone, then later checking the Bingo cards, all this after presiding over Afternoon Tea, then in the bar again untill late helped by David another very friendly chap.
There have been some comments on here regarding the size of the rooms, we had room 311 and found it to be more than adequate for us with a newly refurbished sparkling bathroom.
What makes this hotel so special is the warm friendly ambience which is evident as soon as you arrive, and the fabulous food and entertainment.
We have travelled all over the world in 5* hotels and on luxury cruises and this break is up amongst the best trips we have had, we will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank lynne47
Lee C, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Good afternoon, thank you for your wonderful comments. I am delighted that you were very pleasantly surprised with everything that we have to offer here at The Queens Hotel.
Your kind words about our food and the restaurant service are most kind and I am elated that you found it to be a wonderful experience. Our chefs work very hard to create the finest dishes with locally sourced ingredients to ensure that each dish is as flavoursome as it is beautiful presented. I am glad that this showed during your stay.
I have passed your comments on to all of the staff, and in particular Keith, who are all delighted that you enjoyed their service and had a great time.
It is also lovely to hear that you found the room to be perfectly adequate and also the design of our bathroom. That particular bathroom was refurbished a couple years ago and we try our best to ensure that every room is kept up to the highest standard and not allowed to deteriorate in the slightest. I am glad that you found this to be the case with your room.
The ambiance of the hotel is what we really pride ourselves on, and every member of staff including myself, really enjoy ensuring that our guests have the best experience possible.
I am glad that you regard your stay with us to be likened to those of your 5* hotel stays, and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel in the near future.
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

just returned from a 5 day stay at this hotel if you can fill a hotel in January at the british seaside you have to be doing something right. for me the staff and the food are what makes this hotel a little gem. customer service was second to none. I was a training manager in food hygiene and customer service so like to think I don't miss much and really couldn't fault anything the dining room staff work really hard and our waitress couldn't do enough to please. room comfortable and clean .entertainment everynight thanks to Lee Fiona and all of the staff for making our stay so pleasant Well done

Room Tip: just ring hotel before you arrive and tell them what you are looking for
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Margaret E
Lee C, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Good afternoon, thank you for leaving your wonderful review of our hotel. I am delighted that you found our staff and our food to have left a lasting impression. We have a great team here and they are all so conscious of ensuring every single one of guests have a lovely time, and I am most pleased that this showed during your stay. It is especially pleasing to know that someone who taught customer service found our customer service levels to be so high.
It is also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant menu so much. All of our food is homemade and locally sourced where possible and this is what adds the extra quality to each individual dish.
It was a pleasure spending the time in your company and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel before too long.

Best Wishes,
Senior General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#11 of 88 in Torquay
Preston Sands Hotel
Preston Sands Hotel
#11 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!