“brilliant christmas stay”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed December 29, 2012

just arrived back from 5 day xmas stay,and must say it was superb in every aspect,food was excellent,although my husband would have liked bit more veg,entertainment was very good every night ,our room 204 was clean and roomy twin beds which 2 of us in beds could not watch tele as positioned for only 1 at time to watch,but we could not see where else it could have been put that was the only down side to our room,all staff were very helpful at all times and gave me as much help as i needed espescailly as i am in wheelchair and nothing was to much trouble for any one of them,many thanks to each and every one of them.we have stayed at the queens at least 6 times now,and look forward to every visit we make thank you very much,ps to the people who make bad remarks about this hotel if you want 5 star then pay the price because this hotel is excellent in every respect for what they charge

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank phswans
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Good Afternoon, thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review our hotel.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your Christmas with us this year, and that you found every aspect to be superb. It was a lovely break and we were very fortunate to spend this time of year with you.
Being a long room the only place to reasonably position the television is the middle wall of the two beds. I am pleased however that you found the room to be spacious, and clean. The room attendants work very hard to ensure that the high levels of cleanliness that we strive for, are always achieved.
I am also most pleased that the staff were helpful at all times and nothing was too much trouble, they are always determined to give the best possible customer service and enjoy ensuring our guests are well looked after.
It is lovely to see that you return to see us on many occasions and that you are still enjoying it every time you visit.
If your husband would like more veg next time, if you inform your waiter or waitress you are more than welcome to have a second dish of veg, that would be no problem whatsoever.
It is true that people’s expectations are always rising and we are trying our very best to meet and exceed these high expectations and provide the best possible experience for all of our guests. I am thrilled that you think we are doing a very good of achieving this.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

we have just come back from our lovely christmas. just wount to say thankyou to all the staff at the queens .you done the queens proud the food was first class. lovely beds . it was better than the last time we stayed there 4 years ago. and our waitres was rose what a woman i have never seen any one move thay fast.the food never had time to get cold. look after her .once again lee a big thankyou and a happy new year to you and all your staff.. we where in room 106.

Room Tip: try 106 ground floor lovely
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank rita w

Good Afternoon, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your Christmas break with us this year and that you enjoyed it even more than a few years ago. It was a pleasure sharing this festive time of year with you all.
I am also elated that you enjoyed the food, our team of chefs worked around the clock this Christmas to ensure that every meal on all of our comprehensive breakfast, lunch and dinner menus were perfect. I am glad that this showed during your break.
Rose is an absolute asset to us at The Queens and I am glad that you enjoyed her service throughout your stay. I have showed her your review personally and she is delighted that you had a lovely time.
Happy New Year to you too, and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel soon.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed at the Queens Hotel on my first turkey+tinsel 4 night break with local coach firm,it was a very cheap deal so wasnt expecting too much.I had a nice surprise as hotel was in a good position and the area on the level,ideal for my asthmatic mum who can't do hills any more.The hotel room old fashioned+cramped with a large modern tv taking up most of the dressing table+blocking access to power points,it would have been better wall mounted.furniture old fashioned,all needs an upgrade.bathroom small+seen better days,needs shelves cos nowhere to put toiletries except on floor.The single beds are so comfortable+comfy pillows,didn't hear any late night noise from outside hotel.
What is the jewel in the crown of this hotel is the staff,they are what makes this hotel, dining room service 5 star and so is the food,all meals delicious+hot and served quickly by staff that enjoyed their work and nothing too much trouble.i would stay again because of this service.all in all an enjoyable stay.This is my first visit to Paignton +bus+train station 5 min walk away so easy to travel around,the town has plenty of shops to walk around and was really mild for December...I'm sure i will come back in the future and will have no hesitation in staying at the Queens hotel again.

Room Tip: stayed room 401,small but very quiet even with window open all night,no annoying noises at all
3  Thank diane r

Good Afternoon, thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the hotel. I am most pleased that you had a nice time on your first tinsel and turkey break and that you plan to return in the future.
The proximity of the hotel to the town centre, beach and amenities is ever popular, and I am pleased that you found it to be useful during your stay.
I am slightly disappointed to note your comments on the room as all our furniture is new as is the modern 32” TV. We are in the process of wall mounting all of our new televisions to give the guests more space, but it is a time consuming process.
We have an ongoing maintenance program here at The Queens Hotel and I am pleased to inform you that since the time of your visit we have renovated the bathroom you stayed in, including replacing a brand new tiled floor, new large mirror and light fixings, added additional shelving, heated towel rail, and also new wall tiles. There was in fact a shelf for toiletries already in the bathroom but we have renewed it as well.
We are currently doing one bathroom a week until they are all brand new and then we will start again. When you are next visiting the hotel I do hope to get a chance to show you this bedroom again.
I am glad that you found the beds to be so comfortable and that you had a great nights sleep with no disturbances. All our mattresses are pocket sprung and we strive to make sure that our guests have the highest levels of sleep quality possible.
I am most pleased that you found the staff to be the jewel in the crown of the hotel, as they really do take so much pride in ensuring our guests have the best possible experience with us.
I am elated that the levels of service you received from all of our staff would make you return to the hotel, and I will be personally ensuring that they receive your praise.
Your comments about our food being five star are particularly well received and our chefs are delighted to hear your feedback, and that you enjoyed our menu so much. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Fantastic long weekend everything was really well organises the staff really friendly and the food was excellent too.just wish they had a bigger lift to get to the bedrooms situated only 5 mins from the shops

2  Thank Kath56245
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Good Afternoon, thank you for taking the time to leave your wonderful review of the hotel.
I am glad you found everything to be so well organised, and that the staff looked after you well during your stay. They really strive to make sure all of our guests have the best experience possible, and like to go above and beyond to achieve this.
I am also most pleased that you enjoyed the menu that our team of professional chefs work so hard to create.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

recently stayed at the queens after hearing good reports...the hotel is in a prime position; ideal for the town and seafront but it feels very cramped...I realise that maintenance work has to be done but it was unfortunate that it was in progress when we stayed...In the main areas the decor is very nice but the rooms are quite grubby...even though there was new curtains and a new bathroom the paper on the walls and ceiling was very old grubby anaglypta and spoilt the room...the entertainment hall was quite big but unfortunately not big enough to comfortably occommodate all the guests; the way the seating had to be arranged was very cramped consequently we couldn't sit together and had to sit in a row and had to squeeze past people to get in and out - however, the entertainment every night was fantastic...the dining room was more spacious because of the better lay-out and the waiting/bar staff were brilliant and work exceptionaly hard...unfortunately not all the food that we had was nice - the breakfast was ok although they could improve their egg cooking (don't like fried eggs that have a raw top and left on a hotplate to go hard) and they serve consentrated orange juice - yuck!! the beef dinner had chewy beef and cold veg but the turkey dinner and sweets were lovely...on a health and safety issue: there is only two toilets on the ground floor (ladies and combined gents/disabled) which serves all the social areas, again, due to lack of space both doors open outwards into a small corridor where people are waiting to use the toilets; this is very dangerous as someone could to get hit by an opening door...all things considered and what we paid it was it was ok.

Room Tip: don't have room above the entertainment hall if you like a siesta or early night.
1  Thank Marylilac
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Good Afternoon. I am glad you found the proximity of the hotel to the town centre and sea front, to be useful.
Your comments about the hotel being cramped however are not exactly accurate. At the time you stayed with us, we were fully booked with 148 guests. As im sure you can appreciate, with that volume of people, any size room would look quite busy.
Our lounge is able to comfortably accommodate all of our guests, and we are able to provide seating for the full compliment.
We do have two maintenance personnel working at the hotel on a permanent basis to be able to maintain, and improve the hotel constantly. With a 76 bedroom hotel, it is a constant task to maintain the highest standards and we strive to do so everyday.
Your remarks about the rooms being grubby are particularly disconcerting as you have already remarked upon our constant maintenance program. However I can assure you that we do not accept our rooms to be grubby. The room you stayed in may have had anaglypta wallpaper, but all our rooms are constantly re-painted and freshened. I check bedrooms on a daily basis to ensure that they are maintained to the highest standards for our guests comfort and enjoyment.
I appreciate your comments regarding our waiting and bar staff, as they do work very hard to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay.
I am disheartened however to hear that you took issue with our food. Our team of professional chef’s work extremely hard to make sure the quality of our food is of the highest standard and all of our food is homemade and locally sourced where possible. The chefs do cook the fried eggs in a small batch of ten, to be served immediately. We do not keep food standing around on a hotplate. I cannot comment on when you stayed because you never made me aware of any issues that you had, however I have personally been in the kitchen for every breakfast service this week and at no time has any food been stood waiting to go to the table. If we didn’t get it right when serving your eggs however, I do apologise and would like to take this opportunity to assure you that this isn’t typical of our standard of breakfast service.
With regard to the beef, we are constantly striving to send out the finest quality of food for our guests and are very conscious of making sure that it is cooked to perfection. I do apologise if you felt it was tough on this occasion but out of 148 guests in the restaurant, we had no other complaints at this time. I have to re-iterate that if you would have said something at the time, we could have had the opportunity to rectify this for you.
Our downstairs toilet facilities are normally quite adequate for the demand, particularly as all 76 rooms have ensuite bathrooms.
I do feel that you have been overly harsh in your criticisms and if you would have pointed any of these issues out to myself at the time of your stay with us, we could have endeavoured to rectify each issue for you.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Just returned from a Turkey and Tinsel break at the Queens!!! What a wonderful time we had I cannot praise the hotel enough Every aspect of our holiday was Brilliant!!! The Staff, the rooms, the food, the entertainment, Father Christmas!!!! I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I would be very very surprised if anyone can find any faults with this hotel Thank you all for a wonderful time

1  Thank lucykins14
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Good Afternoon, thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely comments. I am most pleased that you had a wonderful time with us, and enjoyed the Turkey and Tinsel break.
Your praise is very well received by all the team and I am elated that you enjoyed every single aspect of your stay.
The staff are really striving to make this years Turkey and Tinsel breaks really special and are doing all they can to go the extra mile for our guests.
From all of us at The Queens Hotel, we hope that you have a wonderful Christmas and hope to welcome you back to visit us in the new year.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

what a lovely time we had on our turkey & tinsel weekend .From the time we arrived we were made so welcome by the very pleasant manager. The rooms were very clean & the food was first class. the staff were very friendly & efficient & the entertainment was top class, Will definitely return to this hotel. It deserves to be 4stars. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Gill549
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Good afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments. I am most pleased that you enjoyed our first turkey and tinsel break of the year.
I am also elated that you felt very welcome and that the staff were all friendly and efficient during your stay. We strive to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and memorable experience here at The Queens Hotel.
It is lovely to note that you thought the food to be first class. Our professional chefs work very had to ensure every dish is carefully created for our guests enjoyment, and I am glad that it showed during your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back before too long.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#12 of 85 in Torquay
Bay Esplanade Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
#9 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!