“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Sea Spray House

Sea Spray House
Ranked #53 of 97 Paignton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I have exacting standards and enjoy a hotel where the staff are warm, friendly and helpful. We both have dietary needs that were catered for. The breakfast which included juice, cereals and full english was well cooked and well presented. Due to our dietary needs the cook was able to provide poached eggs and served up any of our reasonable requests. We were extremely pleased with our room which had a lovely shower and was spotlessly clean and clearly great effort and pride had been put into this area by the owners who do everything themselves. The hotel is very well placed near to the seafront and town centre and is ideal. My wife and I work very hard to earn our money so expect our holiday to be enjoyable. This hotel made it for us and is on a par with some 3 star hotels we have wasted money on. We will be going again without doubt. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
SeaSpray41, Owner at Sea Spray House, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Thank you so much to you both, it is always nice to be appreciated, and to know we have made a difference to your holiday. See you both again soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Mesmerised by all the positive reviews I booked this hotel. I can only assume their standards must have plummeted. The front door welcomes you with a plaque advising that no take-away food must be eaten there. Next to this is another fixed sign saying no alcohol may be consumed in your room [but you can buy drink in their bar - a dark dusty corner of the diner]. Breakfast - the most paultry I have ever had dished up at any hotel. You may have some economy orange or grapefruit or you may have economy cereals - BUT NOT BOTH! No muesli option obviously. The full english is a delight. The tomato is a whole skinned tin one and when you cut it your whole breakfast floats in juice from it. Guests near me were all inventing imaginative alternatives, bacon sarny or tomatos on toast. The kettle in my room breaks all safety rules and could kill someone. You have to unplug it and carry the kettle, fixed base and plug into the shower room and try to get it into the shallow basin. The duvet had no cover; I tried not to think about when the duvet itself might have been washed. Bottom sheet was never changed. On my third day I was left just one hand towel. When I politely pointed this out to Ian next morning he was livid. Why couldn't I have caught him on his own somewhere quiet. Well, because then I wouldn't have had any witnesses, would I Ian?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Georgethetee
SeaSpray41, Owner at Sea Spray House, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Fabrication at its best from a very, very rude individual. Please read previous review, guest that were staying with at the same time, speaks volumes about this persons integrity.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

just arrived home after a 6 day break at this hotel there was 7 people in our party and so finding a good hotel to suit all our needs is hard but i can say Ian and Pauline did this with no problem the breakfast was excellent and plenty of it! all the rooms were spotless and there was a home from home atmosphere through out our stay to sum it up we came as strangers and left as friends we will definately be back next year

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank charmain h

Thank all for the great response, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, see you next year.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We booked a last minute three day stay at Sea View having had to cancel a holiday to Spain. . We booked a double room with en-suite bathroom and we very pleased to also be able to take our dog with us. The room was very comfortable, clean and spacious and Ian and Pauline are excellent hosts very welcoming and helpful. The breakfasts are excellent. The Guest House is very clean and the atmosphere is great. Nothing was too much trouble. We would recommend this establishment to anyone thinking of staying in Paignton. We will definitely go there again when next in the vicinity.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeanette W
SeaSpray41, Owner at Sea Spray House, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for your great review, it was a pleasure to meet you and John.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I just had a very enjoyable week's stay at this guesthouse. It's as nice as it looks in the photos, and I had a very comfortable SINGLE room on the ground floor, plenty of space and a lovely ensuite with giant shower cubicle. The whole place was spotless, my room was cleaned every day and the towels were changed daily too, quite a rarity in a guesthouse! The breakfast was well cooked and delicious, a very generous portion of bacon with lots of tasty accompaniments. Most days there was melon as a starter, so I reckon the whole breakfast provided 3 of my 5-a-day of fruit and veg! The atmosphere was very friendly and I enjoyed lots of interesting chats with my host Ian. The guesthouse is in an ideal position close to the beach and all the excellent shops, as well as the train station, bus station and steam railway. Local buses provide a frequent service to everywhere in the Torbay area, so it's perfect for people without a car. I can heartily recommend Sea Spray for single guests, as it's so rare to find good and reasonably priced single accommodation nowadays.

Room Tip: The ground floor single room is lovely, with a colourful windowbox and flower-filled front garden to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for kind words, we thoroughly enjoyed your company, and hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed at the sea spray for a week on the 2nd June - 9th June and had a lovely time it was our first time staying in a guest house so was unsure on what to except but it was brilliant, Ian and Pauline was sooo friendly and couldn`t do enough for you, we had a sea view room which was lovely only thing that spoilt it was the weather as we had rain all week but obviously not there fault would of looked absolutely beautiful if the sun was shining but just wasn`t our week lol , where it is situated is fantastic, would defiantly return there again, my son came down with chicken pox the night before we was due to travel and we was pancaking thinking our holiday was not going 2 happen but they made so many alternatives for us so we could make our holiday which was very nice of them and also making it so my son was not in contact with any other guest until he was not contagious , rooms was cleaned everyday overall had a great time,would defiantly recommend this hotel an the breakfast on a morning was absolutely beautiful compliments to them both.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sammy-Jo B
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is the first time we have stayed. Ian and Pauline made are stay very enjoyable, they are very warm and friendly also very helpful.
Our room was very comfortable and the atmosphere of the guesthouse was very welcoming.
I would recommend it to my friends and family.
I look forward to returning to stay agin.

Room Tip: Room had a lovely sea view .
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple