“Excellent”

Wentworth Guest House
Ranked #38 of 97 Paignton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Perri and Allan gave us a very warm welcome. The B&B was in a lovely spot near the beach and the park at goodrington. The rooms were very comfortatable and the breakfast menu vast, with a chance to change your choice on a daily basis. The front lounge was a lovely morning and evening sun trap and so peaceful, unless you count the herring gulls! Parking is limited but was not a problem. An excellent guesthouse, which I would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: I was in a sigle room at the front over looking the park. I do not think that the back of the house...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MarionKeithPassat

Reviewed July 4, 2013

On arrival we received a warm welcome by Allan and Perri. The room was well presented and the bathroom was modern and very clean. The breakfast was superb and set you up for a day of enjoying the Torbay area. The location has good parking nearby or if your lucky, on the premises. The beach is very close and has facilities for dog owners with their own beach area. Paignton is only a 10 minute walk away. This guest house offers luxury accommodation at a very reasonable price. Thanks to Perri and Allan for a lovely stay and we definitely will be returning.

2  Thank simon c
Reviewed June 11, 2013

All comments about breakfast and location are indeed true, however my problem isn't with the quality of their English breakfast. Two days into our holiday I was told that I was ‘naughty’ for taking the towels from the room down to the beach. I felt slightly spoken down to by the manageress’ but put it down to over friendliness. Then on the fourth day when me and my partner came in to get our things for the beach we were stopped by the manageress and asked to come up to our room. We were led in and told that our mattress and the room “Smells of wee”. I, shocked at the further suggestion that one of us was a bed wetter, apologised for the smell but promised and gave my word that it wasn't in fact urine. “We’ll just have to agree to disagree because it definitely is whether it was an accident or not”, was the response I got and after exclaiming 5 times that I am neither a liar nor a bet wetter I received a different quiet, snide comment every time. After explaining my disgust at the way I had been treated and spoken to, the manageress simply waved her arms around shouting, “Well it’s my B&B you don’t know what it’s like!” and proceeded to storm off out the room shouting down the corridor. After offering to pay for the replacement of the mattress the insinuations continued even whilst she was taking payment of £160. When I told her how insulted I was by the constant accusations she told me I was, “just being awkward” and “going on and on and on”. I was indeed going on and on because every time I tried to speak I was interrupted by, “But it is p*ss!” The entire attitude of this woman was utterly appalling and she obviously hadn't been running a guesthouse for very long as she had no idea what so ever of how to handle a difficult situation and had even less idea about customer service. After trying to get my point across countless times and being ignored every time the manageress’ attitude became more and more intolerable with comments like, “If you were confronted by the same evidence I was you would be reacting in exactly the same way!”, to which my response was, “How dare you tell me how I would react you don’t know me.” She then stormed off shouting that I was being rude and she was going to call the police. In addition when my father who happened to be on holiday at the same time as me went in to complain he was told, “If he writes a bad review online I’ll tell everyone he’s a bed wetter”. I decided not to stay the night after how I had been treated but did not receive my money back because, “I've lost the room for the night now”, despite the fact that they were not even fully booked. I have also been charged £160 for a new mattress when I had no legal responsibility to do so and the other one was not even beyond repair. The situation was handled atrociously and the manageress didn't seem to understand that I don’t care whether or not she or anybody else thinks that me or my partner wet the bed as we both know we didn't, my problem was with her attitude and conduct. Appalling customer service, an absolute disgrace, never been so offended in my life.

Room Tip: Rooms are made out nice but with no views and servicing only includes making of beds and clean drink...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank davewrightpersonal
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

The wentworth guest house is really lovely and comfortable and perri and Allan are so nice and friendly!
Very good full English breakfast and also very good continental breakfast with bagel or croissant!
It's only 2 minutes to the beach and not far away from harbour and city centre!

I would really recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Schnubb
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I spent a night at the Wentworth Guest House on our way down to Cornwall and I can honestly say it is the best B&B I have ever stayed in. Upon arrival we were greeted by Perri & Allen who were very warm and courteous towards us and promptly asked if we would like a tea or coffee. The decor in our room was of a very high standard and the bedding was lovely. I always judge a B&B buy the towels and the ones in the Wentworth were thick, soft and fluffy. The breakfast was also very nice with plenty of choice and Allen delivered the cooked breakfast wearing white gloves, which was a nice touch.
The Wentworth is next to a lovely park with a boating lake and very close to the beach. It is situated about 10-12 min walk away from the town centre in a nice quiet area and is worth all of the 4 star grading.
If you want a clean quiet B&B with excellent hosts, then this is the place for you.

3  Thank audrey1956
Reviewed May 22, 2013

this is a great place to stay in paignton ,Allen and Perry are such welcoming owners the place is clean and tidy free wi-fi lovely breakfast nice and hot,good information about things to do and see good local knowledge they have, leaflets around the guest house if your a first timer would stay again next year

3  Thank arlloyd
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Spent one night with the extended family, and could not have asked for better service, Perri and Allan were the perfect hosts and nothing was too much trouble, and of course breakfast was absolutely scrumptious.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family