“the most disgusting meal I have ever had”
Review of Santi Bag

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Santi Bag
Ranked #305 of 398 Restaurants in Wigan
Cuisines: Asian, Bangladeshi
Manchester, United Kingdom
“the most disgusting meal I have ever had”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was out late with a friend in Wigan Friday night and fancied a curry and all the recommended ones seemed to be closed so at 1230am we ended up in the only one open Santi Bag...Well this small dingy place at the back of the railway station in the centre of Wigan is an absolute disgrace.
We arrived and as my pal has a bad back we asked to use the table with the comfy bench seats at the back and was told it was for 4 or more! the place was empty!! and I again asked to use that table which was refused. The place was heated by a tiny electric fan heater the teeny tiny one it smelt badly of burning.I noted the two young asian staff playing on there mobile phones and had to shout for attention I ordered a soda and lime and pal a coke they arrived in small short glasses but my lime and soda had no lime! I sent it back.
This is a Bangladeshi style indian which i have visited many similar excellent ones in Manchester but this one was poor from start to finish the begrudgingly changed my drink again returned in a shorts glass! we ordered 4 poppadums with dips and I ordered the meat tali which at £9.50 was the most expensive on the menu, pal ordered chicken dansack with pilau rice...30 mins later it arrived again surprised as by now another couple had arrived and the place was still empty.
My meal wow well how do I describe this "meat" tali...I am aware a tali is a metal dish with an assortment of other dishes on it had many times but this yuk...a very red piece of microwaved tandoori chicken a leg piece along with an even redder seikh kebab which had the red dye running through both of them...two small pots one with a meat curry the other with the same curry sauce but with meat which i assumed was mutton it was that tough...I counted the pieces of chicken meat in each pot which were the size of the mango chutney pot very small..the both had two pieces in and it looked like two pieces of chicken had been placed at the bottom of one pot and two pieces of mutton at the bottom of the second and the same bland sauce poured over...then in the middle a keema nan which was in fact a red dyed seikh kebab mushed inside a nan bread again the red dye made the nan pink...it was disgusting i picked at it and left it all.
my pall said the chicken was chewy and i noted it was full of onions i tasted the sauce again bland.. they never came to ask if everything ok or did we want anything they stayed behind the bar playing and texting on there mobile phones, I made the usual bill hand signal and minutes later a bill for £28 was produced, they cleared the unfinished plates and didnt question why i hadnt eaten i got the impression they cared not and that was usual. I told them the food wasnt very nice they said they would tell the owner!
we left no goodbye nothing and we obviously didnt tip...Now I have travelled the world and eaten curry on the border of afghanistan, in india, pakistan.syhlet bangladesh etc and they were all excellent even in a third world country this appalling meal was a disgrace.
I assume as the only place open in wigan on a friday night they have a limited regular customer base who will eat anything when hungry!
We went back to our hotel the excellent Brockett Arms and early hours both our tums started to cause problems..my pal went back to Leeds and was ill for 2 day with the runs and I had a poor tum for 24 hours..AVOID at all costs, if anyone puts a favourable comment on here about that place they are either linked to the owners or have no taste buds or undersstanding of what a proper curry is, that was the worst meal I have had in my 49 years on this earth.

• Visited May 2013