“What a turnaround”

The Crooke Hall Inn
Ranked #70 of 402 Restaurants in Wigan
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Canalside freehouse pub, serving good pub grub from 12 each day, alongside a great range of real ales. Local Camra Pub of the Season Autumn 2016 & Community Pub of the year 2016. Campervans & Narrowboats welcome to visit by arrangement. Lovely cellar function room available for parties up to 75 persons. Xmas menus available from July, open Xmas day
“What a turnaround”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I previously visited about a year ago, lovely beer but in need of some TLC. Went again last night and what a difference some hard work and imagination has done. The beer is still top class, but the bar is warm, welcoming, comfortable and the service good. Definately a dog lovers pub but well worth a visit nevertheless.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank thamesdittonish

Wigan, United Kingdom
“excellent food and beer”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Called here with partner after a walk along the canal. The bar area was busy but got sereved quickly with a pint of Allgates superb California bitter, and a pint of Guinness. This was the second time I had been in this pub within a week and on both occasion the cask ales were spot on. This was the first time that we decided to eat at Crooke Inn. We found a table and ordered steak and ale pie with chips and chicken pie in a white wine sauce. The food arrived in under 20 minuets despite there being a large party. It was piping hot, there was enough chips and they were not the frozen variety but hand cut. Partner chose potatoes which were nicely cooked and fluffy. There was a good selection of vegetables served seperatly.
The pie was straight from the oven as the pastry lid was crisp, inside were chucks of succulent beef. All in all I found this meal to be wholesome, tasty and freshly cooked and well worth the money. I can't understand the two gripes that are on this site as my meal was very good indeed. I for one will be returning to this pub for food and for the cask ales.

• Visited July 2013
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Great after a summer evening walk.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We called on a hot summer evening on a canal walk. The veer garden was very busy and goes straight down to the scenic canal path. Loads of good Allgates local ales, friendly service and great value.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mike D
Bolton, United Kingdom
“looking forward due to positive reviews but was disappointed”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My partner and I both had bland meals and the portions were quite small, especially the veg. We also had to wait over 40 minuetes on what was, I presume, not a busy evening. We do not understand the excellent reviews, unless we visited on the chef's evening off. One possitive is the location by the canal. We will not be returning.

• Visited June 2013
wigan
“Possibly..no... probably the worst meal I have ever been served.....”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Well, where to start, I admit the pub was busy with a charity event outside (cyclists for Christie Hosp....admirable and yes, I did donate) But, here goes...the overwhelming smell of toilets greeted you upon entering, via the outside staircase and then pervaded the entire dining area. The menu seemed wide and varied and there was a specials board to choose from. We ordered one steak, chips etc ( played safe) and I ordered mixed meats with horseradish from the specials board priced at £9.95. Now......this is what arrived....on the plate was a portion of 'salad' straight from a bag, no dressing, with a couple of strawberries scattered for asthetic purposes only. Onto this was delicately placed a slice of corned beef, a slice of 'plastic ham' and 2 slices of pre sliced, packaged salami, and a large dollop of processed horseradish sauce.
I asked to speak to someone regarding this rather unusual platter and when I explained that for almost £10 this really did not hit the spot, He argued that the salad was not pre packed!!! He did however exchange the meal for another steak ( same price ) which arrived 10 mins after Husband had finished his. The steak was overcooked, average and tasteless.
We did not stay for desserts or coffee and can confidently say that we will neither return nor recommend this establishment.
This pub is in a really beautiful setting and it is such a shame that truly awful food lets it down on so many counts, and whilst you are at it... please get the toilets sorted out..

Visited June 2013