“Full of character”

and 1 more site!
Coaching Inn Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Wigan
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I was working in the area and needed a bed for the night. I hate those sterile, characterless chain motels and I'd rather give my money to an independent hotelier. I found a real gem with the Coaching Inn.
A fantastic building, and Dave is an interesting and very friendly host.
I had a great night's sleep. My room was at the front of the building, overlooking the main road, but it was very quiet thanks to the double glazing.
I'd rate the hotel very highly on value for money and good service. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed March 11, 2011

have stayed here on numerous occasions now. nikki always pleased to help and always friendly. room is nice with on suite .breakfast is fine and no complaints,would recommend this hotel to friends/family.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I checked into this hotel at the begining of January 2011 and still staying there. I am currently on a business trip in Wigan and there appears to be no real choice of hotels that actually serve the city centre that are good value for money.

I chose this hotel for a number of reasons, its not too far from the centre, only a 5 min bus ride and served by several regular services as well as a night service, Its in a quiet location and the hotel in my opinion is value for money.

You get your choice of room, single or double and breakfast is included in the price. I dont eat a cooked breakfast so I can't comment on it, however the choice of continental options are sufficient for most needs. The owners Nikki & Dave allow guests to come and go as they please, providing them with a side entrance key which is great, I found my room to be comfortable and clean and suitable for my basic needs. I found Nikki & Dave to be very helpful, friendly and accomodating.

I cannot find a fault with my stay at this hotel, I have been staying there since early January and for the price, you can't really go wrong, for the people that are giving this hotel a bad review regarding refurbishment and outdated decor, I suggest you put your hand in your pocket and pay for what you expect or better still stay at home, if all a traveller needs is a place to sleep, a bathroom, breakfast and good customer service, then the Coaching Hotel is perfectly suitable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MarkBakerUK
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Where do I start? After booking a night from the web site, I found the hotel to be undergoing refurbishment, which is much needed. Not being able to check in till 4pm was unacceptable so I asked to check in at 12.30, which was accepted.
The walls, woodwork and doors require completely recovering throughout, including my room (7).
The shower took a lot of adjusting before the water eventually reached a decent temperature.
Traffic noise was almost unbearable.
The breakfast was quite small, albeit not too badly cooked. I had to boil a kettle to make my own tea. This was fine as there were no other residents present. Had there been, there may have been a fight for the kettle!
The dining area was actually in the bar and not a very pleasant place to eat.
Due to the refurbishment, the bar wasn't open. There was no mention of this on the web site.
Luckily, I didn't have to spend too much time here.
CALL BEFORE YOU BOOK!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank KevdeeValencia
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Hello,
My name is Franck, sorry to my english, I'm french. I' m came to this hotel "on the corner" (can be the beginning of a song!!) during one week end the last 1er august to my ironman (triathlon) to Bolton. I can say that I be completly enjoy to be in the hotel : Very good food, good night , and Nikki, his husband and childs are very cool and ok to serv you with qualities and smile!
I think that this place is "an hotel to travel in your travel" Ihope you can anderstand that I want translate for you ; In fact, a day when I return to the hotel in bus, on old Lady say to me :'you know that this hotel was a celebrous place to jazz music during 1950's ! inside I'm sure you find a piano..." When I 'm arriving I speak to Nikki about that and she say Yes!
Go Go Go you can go to this hotel with excellent report between prizes and qualities of services
Franck

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank francounet
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Clean, tidy, exceptionally good food, friendly owners.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2010

If you want good value, somewhere clean with a warm welcome in the Wigan area, I can certainly recommend the Coaching Inn. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor but was more than happy with the accommodation.

It is by no means plush but then it isn't pretending to be a four star hotel. Nikki and Dave were very friendly -even down to organising a taxi for us to go into Wigan and finding a good Indian restaurant (The Raj - good food, very reasonably priced).

If visiting the area in future I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends