“Mrs V Foster”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My friend and I went to the Owls for lunch today,we both enjoyed our meal and it was very good value. There is know out side seating,or I did not see any if there were .but over all the service was excellent .

1  Thank Vera F

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Years ago this was a good quality restaurant with a quality reputation - what has happened! We were booked for 6.15 - couldn't get a later slot - so arrived on time only to find no menus available and the bar not open. After a while a party member went to find menus and no sooner did we have them a waitress was looking for our order! Bar then open with big queue but find they have no change so can't serve anybody who wants to pay cash. Eventually cash float found by which time waiter now asking for order but I'm still waiting at bar for drinks. Finally got drinks, ordered food and within minutes we were asked to go to table - which was upstairs - no offer to carry drinks for those older and less mobile.
Whilst food was cheap it was reflected in quality, eg dry blackpudding lacking in sauce, soggy vegetables and chips and the smallest lemon cream crunch I've ever seen. Asked during meal for more drinks but told 'we don't serve to table' so I had to take myself off downstairs to get drinks from bar - unbelivable! And no sooner had we got coffee we were asked to vacate table as it was need for next group!! -so we end up downstairs with no seats and so we paid and left - never to return! Never been in such a disorganised restaurant - clearly the proprietors are going for volume at the cost to quality and good ambience- it was like a works canteen!

1  Thank BrianDerbyshire
Reviewed September 12, 2013

As always the food wast amazing for the price but we have never had to wait so long to be asked what we wanted from the menu, and as we had a guest from the U.S.A with us it was quiet embarrassing and it was not as thought the place was very busy. We have never had such tardy service the staff seamed to be more interested in chating among-st themselves and I saw one girl chat for 5 mins to a handsome chap at the bar. We also had to wait ages for the sweet waitress to arrive and we had to ask for our sweet as they didn't arrive. What has happened to one of our favorite eateries ?....:(

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Prompt service, nice meal at a reasonable price. Two little moans, when it came to the dessert our waitress read the list from her pad on which was written "no custard" if it had to be written it tells me that customers are asking for custard, so put on your menu! the other moan is no name badges on the waitresses, as they are all dressed in black it's no use saying the management the girl in black who served me was excellent or rubbish.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I booked The Owls for its location and reasonable prices for an elderly Aunt's birthday (93 years old). She is very unsteady on her feet and upon booking I specifically said I would like a table near the entrance to avoid placing her at risk. When we checked in I again reminded the waitress of this request.

Perhaps I was speaking a foreign language ...... we were put at the furtherest table from the door next to the kitchen swing doors in a dark alcove. Poor old Auntie had to stagger on her sticks right to the end of the room. Not impressed at all.

Unfortunately no other tables were available.

Tut, tut Owls - take the time to listen to customers - requests are for a reason.