“Good food poor service. :@(”

The Owls Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 460 Restaurants in Wigan
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

As always the food wast amazing for the price but we have never had to wait so long to be asked what we wanted from the menu, and as we had a guest from the U.S.A with us it was quiet embarrassing and it was not as thought the place was very busy. We have never had such tardy service the staff seamed to be more interested in chating among-st themselves and I saw one girl chat for 5 mins to a handsome chap at the bar. We also had to wait ages for the sweet waitress to arrive and we had to ask for our sweet as they didn't arrive. What has happened to one of our favorite eateries ?....:(

Date of visit: September 2013

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Prompt service, nice meal at a reasonable price. Two little moans, when it came to the dessert our waitress read the list from her pad on which was written "no custard" if it had to be written it tells me that customers are asking for custard, so put on your menu! the other moan is no name badges on the waitresses, as they are all dressed in black it's no use saying the management the girl in black who served me was excellent or rubbish.

Date of visit: September 2013
1  Thank David S
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I booked The Owls for its location and reasonable prices for an elderly Aunt's birthday (93 years old). She is very unsteady on her feet and upon booking I specifically said I would like a table near the entrance to avoid placing her at risk. When we checked in I again reminded the waitress of this request.

Perhaps I was speaking a foreign language ...... we were put at the furtherest table from the door next to the kitchen swing doors in a dark alcove. Poor old Auntie had to stagger on her sticks right to the end of the room. Not impressed at all.

Unfortunately no other tables were available.

Tut, tut Owls - take the time to listen to customers - requests are for a reason.

Date of visit: August 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Nice food, well presented, good value for money. We arrived before any rush in the early evening so had a relaxed meal. We would go again

Date of visit: July 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went to the owls on 15/8/2013 for a birthday celebration. no signs to show you which side of the entrance was for private functions or main restaurant. Eventually we figured out which door to go through and was met with overcrowding to report to reception desk to book in for a meal.
Despite a booking being made the previous day they had no record of this, but thankfully they said they would accommodate us in 20 minutes time (45 minutes in reality)
when eventually the meal starters arrived no wine appeared as was previously ordered and when I requested a drink I was told I would have to go to the bar. when the wine arrived it was plonked on the table with no wine cooler no offer to taste it or even opened.

Starters came and where ok, however when the main meal came and this is the serious part after my wife son and nephew had eaten some of their steaks it was noted by my wife of a serious stink of the steaks on all three steaks.
when I asked for the manager a lady came to us and I held up a small piece for her to smell and she refused. the smell was overpowering.
The offer was made that she would credit the bill for the steaks I stated that I would not be paying for them anyway and asked for the owner to present himself (he or she was not available).
Now the serious part my son has been up in the night with Diarrhoea. I am very annoyed at this serious breech of quality and freshness of food.
I have taken a sample of the steak provided and will be in contact with the appropriate department of health and safety with Wigan council to report on what could have led to a more serious health issue.

Date of visit: August 2013