“Try it, you might just like it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Coven

The Coven
Ranked #14 of 393 Restaurants in Wigan
Cuisines: British, Healthy
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Fantastic cuisine in a historic part of town. Pure vegetarian & vegan with a wide choice for coeliacs too. Everything is cooked from scratch in The Coven kitchen - we all all the ingredients in our food so we can guarantee the quality. We also cater for special diets and needs and have special ingredients on hand to help. Massive drinks menu with 25 fine loose teas, organic coffees and normal & vegan milkshakes & smoothies.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Try it, you might just like it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

First things first, I'm not a vegetarian so I went to the coven slightly nervous about finding something on the menu that I would like. Sue the owner made us feel very welcome and she explained the food on offer very well. We had the mezze and the coven stack, both were excellent. We took our own drinks and there is no corkage fee so at less than £40 for a couple it's very good value. We will certainly be back and would recommend the coven to anyone looking for something a little different.

• Visited May 2013

Warrington, United Kingdom
“Delicious food served with convivial friendliness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

The home-made 'green soup' with hummus- and- salad filled pitta was delicious, followed by completely yummy chocolate cake. The Coven is a heavenly corner of hospitality: friendly, warm and convivial at any time of the day or evening. It feels like you've come to a friend's for home-cooked delights. The owner, Sue goes to great lengths to provide great food with an 'x' factor that makes you want to keep this place a secret at the same time as telling all your friends.

England
“You really don't have to be Vegan / Vegetarian to love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I visited the coven for a special occasion on a Friday night and was not disappointed. There was a large group of us and the owner was very accommodating to all our menu choices and it was very well organised. None of our group were vegetarian and I could see there were a few dubious of the raw food but there was nothing but praise at the end of the night. I had a raw pate and the raw curry with cauliflower rice, something I had never tried before but would definitely have again. The puddings were very VERY nice (as naturally had to try a bit of everyone else's...). I had a black forest gateaux which I could have eaten about 4 times over.
Being a small place there is a lovely cosy atmosphere and the owner was very friendly and chatted to us about the recipes.
There has been some mention about price in other reviews but for the quality homecooked style food and the fact you can bring your own alcohol with no extra charge I felt the price was very reasonable.

Wigan
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

After friends had spoken very highly of this local restaurant my hubby and I decided to pay a visit. I rang to reserve a table for lunch, appreciating that it is very small seating-wise. I rang twice as they hadn't taken my name and was told I was the only one so a name didn't matter??? When we arrived there was no reservation, but a lovely lady shared her table. We mentioned we had booked but didn't get a response. The starters were fine (soups) but my mushroom burger was awful. Very rubbery, small, thin, hard to cut and resembled something a cobbler would attach to your shoe! . The larger salad I had opted for was not really much different from my husband's portion. One customer had his meal delivered to the wrong table and had to wait for another omelette whilst his partner ate hers. We eat lunch for less at a local Tapas and that includes wine and bespoke meals for us both! We will try an evening and review accordingly. I wait to be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jane H
wigan
“Bespoke vegetarian food that will please any meat eater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Been here a few times now, first time was a visit with my vegetarian sister. The mushroom burgers are better than 90% of any meat versions I have had, Welsh rarebit was really nice and home made chips. Massive choice of teas and coffees and everything is made fresh. This come at a slightly higher cost than a standard chain but is well worth the experience.

• Visited July 2012