“Hidden Gem Worth Travelling To”
Review of The Coven

The Coven
Ranked #26 of 419 Restaurants in Wigan
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fantastic cuisine in a historic part of town. Pure vegetarian & vegan with a wide choice for coeliacs too. Everything is cooked from scratch in The Coven kitchen - we all all the ingredients in our food so we can guarantee the quality. We also cater for special diets and needs and have special ingredients on hand to help. Massive drinks menu with 25 fine loose teas, organic coffees and normal & vegan milkshakes & smoothies.
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Coven serves excellent food in a relaxed atmosphere. The website lists the day food but when you get there in the evening you are presented with ever changing specials for all three courses. These are always suitable for a variety of diets and the staff are happy to accomodate changes to a guests even more esoteric needs and wants - such as strict raw food with no salt - so the myriad raw food options are developed further with no seasoning and taste great for it.
The food is always delicious - when you go hope that they have some derivation of the 'stack' on the menu as it is always a winner! Based around potato rosti and (vegan) cheese sauce it is a tall feast of a thing full of great flavours.
Loads of teas and good coffee on offer too.
My friends and I travel out from Manchester to Wigan as it is such a good place to go eat - and street parking nearby is a breeze.

1  Thank mesz

Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Victorian Quarter is the only part of Wigan where you can't buy a meat pie, but if you eat in The Coven you probably won't feel the lack too deeply. In the daytime (which is the only time I've been there) they do standard cafe fare without the meat but not without the taste, and with a hearteningly unstuffy approach to vegetarian cooking. There's a tea for everyone, including people who just like a nice cup of tea, and the coffee is noticeably superior to standard chain products.
The food is wholesome without being austere, the atmosphere is pleasantly casual without lapsing into chaotic, and the prices are no higher than in places where visibly less love and effort has been invested in the quality of the ingredients and of the cooking. The puddings, in particular, are blissful.
When they open in the evening - currently only on Fridays and Saturdays, I believe - the menu looks more adventurous. There's no drinks licence, but at nigh they operate a byob policy without charging corkage, in keeping with the generous, unfussy spirit which defines the whole experience of eating there.
In Wigan, then, of all towns, there's a restaurant where vegetarians can eat without feeling like they are barely-tolerated poor relations. Who'd have thought?.

4  Thank jwelsh
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We travel from Manchester to Wigan to visit the coven, which should give some idea of how much we like it. The owners and staff are always lovely,and the place has a cozy, bistro feel. The food is genuinely inventive and the kitchen is able to cater for the most unusual/demanding food requirements; our party usually being made up of vegans and raw foodists. On the last visit, I started with the chestnut Pate; a really delicious, slightly sweet pate that went well with the bread and salad. For the main course I had the "stack" ; a tower of potato rosti, home made burger, mushroom and creamy sauce. It was a fantastic, tasty dish, and equal to the amazing raw spaghetti bolognese I enjoyed on my last visit. Too full for dessert I settled for one of the Covern's wide selections of specialty teas.

The quality has remained consistent after the recent change of hands; would recommend to anyone.

2  Thank JaneABP
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We went to the Coven for a cookery course, which we thoroughly enjoyed! My husband and I didn't really know what to expect but Colin and Maria put us to ease straight away. We got some great ideas out of the course and we found it inspiring.

The food we tried on the day was absolutely delicious. Well done to them! Since then we've done their hummus and mushroom burgers and they went down a storm!

The dishes we tried were all on the menu of the Coven so based on this I can highly recommend this cosy little place.

I can also highly recommend their cookery courses - plenty of food on the day and lots of ideas to take home with you!

1  Thank Dia-baz
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Went on opening night for new owners. Started with a mezze which was plentiful with Pitta and nachos. My main course was delicious chineese fritters on a raw noodle mix.(the noodles are spiralized veg spiced and seasoned) Lovely and spicy with crisp batter. We finished off with Apple and walnut cake with ice cream (all Vegan). The cake was better than any dairy cake ive had. There is a large selection of colas teas and coffees which all go down well
We shall return

Recommend for eveyone not just veggies or vegans