“Gourmet Oriental Night”

The Coven
Ranked #5 of 427 Restaurants in Wigan
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fantastic cuisine in a historic part of town. Pure vegetarian & vegan with a wide choice for coeliacs too. Everything is cooked from scratch in The Coven kitchen - we all all the ingredients in our food so we can guarantee the quality. We also cater for special diets and needs and have special ingredients on hand to help. Massive drinks menu with 25 fine loose teas, organic coffees and normal & vegan milkshakes & smoothies.
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Myself and my freind were lucky enough to get in to one of The Coven's new gourmet nights. I say lucky enough because demand for seats at this compact resteraunt are already becoming hard to come by on these gourmet nights. We were placed on a reserve list and it was only because some one else dropped out (The Fools!) that we were able to attend.
When we came the whole place had a very warm atmosphere with clever lighting and inviting place settings added into a very upmarket bistro atmosphere.
There was a Mezze style starter all in the oriental style, a mixture of cooked and 'raw' food... we were fighting over the dehydrated mushrooms!
All in all there were four full courses, each with at least four options so lots of indecision and scope for revisits! The stand out dishes in a wonderfl night were the Crispy (Not) Duck, The Thai Green Curry and The Birds Nest was a very impressive visual and gastronomic treat too. As for the Sweet selection I can confidently say that they were the best Banana Fritters I have ever had, crispy batter with soft aromatic banana on a bed of indulgent cream!
The night itself as as fun and inviting as The Coven is during the daytimes with conversations actively encouraged across the tables but the best thing about the whole night was the fact that there was no rush with everything taken at the speed of the individual diners.
We have already booked for the Quiz Night which promises even more fun and frolics with The Coven Twist on traditional pub food.... I can't wait!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I'd heard quite a bit about at The Coven (all good things), but never got round to visiting until I was pretty hungry on a shopping trip and suddenly remembered I'd always wanted to try it. I entered to a lovely, warm welcome; felt like I was in a cosy country kitchen, not the middle of Wigan, especially like the decor, and all the jars of tea lining the wall. Service was impeccable despite it being pretty busy, and I was salivating looking at the menu, literally took me 20minutes to decide on a spiced parsnip soup (I particularly liked the healthy, interesting bread options, makes such a nice change than standard "white or brown"). The soup came quickly, and was absolutely lovely; spicy, nutritious, a bowl of warmth. I was informed about The Coven's gourmet evenings with emphasis on raw, vegan, vegetarian foods (it does specialise in vegan/vegetarian food, but also caters for the meat eater) and decided to try a raw, vegan, chocolate cake, which was another pleasant surprise - kind of like a flapjack with a lovely chocolate flavour and fruity sauce. The information provided was helpful and interesting; to someone who doesn't know much about veganism/raw food, it opened my eyes.
I urge everyone who lives in/near Wigan to visit! Healthy, tasty, cheap food with excellent service (I even got a book recommendation, even better) - a real breath of fresh air in Wigan.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Such a great place - wide selection of food for veggies, vegans, and coeliacs (it's so nice to not be made to feel like a pain for choosing or having different dietary requirements!). The atmosphere was completely friendly, almost like stepping into someone's living room (...a very pretty, cosy living room); we were made to feel very welcome and really enjoyed chatting with the owners - such lovely people. The food itself was just delicious, (especially the apricot and cinnamon muffin!) - wanted to stay and try everything! Will definitely be returning and recommending this place to others.

1  Thank EmilyPennington
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I visited the first gourmet evening last night at The Coven with a friend. It was my first visit but i had heard plenty of good things about the food and the people. A lovely place, small but with a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The food was unbelievably tasty - the thought and effort that had gone into producing such delicious meals was obvious and the £25 set menu was extremely good value for money. They do offer extra helpings if required, but trust me - you wont be needing them! If you like an informal atmosphere, fantastic food and aren't afraid to try something a bit different then this is the ideal place, you will not regret it!

Reviewed September 2, 2011

My husband and I are not vegan, or even vegetarian, but if you ask me where the best place is to eat in Wigan, I will always say The Coven. We've been going since it first opened a few years ago, and even then we were treated like old friends by Colin and Maria, now we are like old friends and the welcome is even better! My children are treated like royalty and are more than welcome any time we go, even if we are not staying to eat and just getting one of their take out meals.
Its always bustling, but Colin will always try his best to find space for us, or if we ring ahead, he'll reserve a table for you as soon as one is free, so you don't have to wait more than 20mins to go for a meal. Can't ask more than that!
Just last night we had been lucky enough to reserve a table for their first evening opening night, and we weren't disappointed. Reserved in advance, the evening is for 16 guests only, one sitting, with a special menu for each night (once a week). If the food during the day is fantastic and worth every penny, then the evening food is heaven! As as I said before, we are not vegetarian, but had no problem being tempted by the food on offer, all vegetarian, a lot vegan, Coeliac friendly and even some Raw offerings. Each table had its own Meze platter and our main evening meal came at nice intervals, even had a cucumber, mint and grape sorbet after our starter which was a lovely addition in its self! I've never enjoyed a meal out so much, plus we were looked after by our hosts, not too much, but not so little you felt like no one was bothered.
The whole atmosphere of the evening was relaxed, fairly informal, and we even has some Spanish guitar entertainment.
Would I do it again? Yes without a doubt! If you are going to a prebooked evening, or just calling in during the day, The Coven will always give you a warm welcome, food to die for and the urge to return as soon as possible to do it all again :)

1  Thank Bex B