“A JEWELL IN THE CROWN OF WIGAN! AND THE NORTH WEST!”
Review of The Coven

The Coven
Ranked #26 of 414 Restaurants in Wigan
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fantastic cuisine in a historic part of town. Pure vegetarian & vegan with a wide choice for coeliacs too. Everything is cooked from scratch in The Coven kitchen - we all all the ingredients in our food so we can guarantee the quality. We also cater for special diets and needs and have special ingredients on hand to help. Massive drinks menu with 25 fine loose teas, organic coffees and normal & vegan milkshakes & smoothies.
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Having discovered The Coven on the internet my husband treated me (Vegan) to an Anniversary meal on sunny afternoon. On arrival in the quaint Victorian Square - Hallgate - we entered the cosy and character filled ambiance that fills this eating establishment. Greeted warmly by Colin and Maria (and other diners! which was lovely) we were seated and asked what our dietary requirements were - this was a new experience for me and very much appreciated because normally it is such a struggle to negotiate a vegan meal in a cafe/restaurant. I was given an extensive vegan menu which was amazing because normally I am lucky if there is a vegan option at all - this was a full vegan menu with choices to be made! Very very impressive. And all home cooked with loving care - you can feel the passion and enthusiasm that oozes from The Coven. My husband had the vegetarian menu which was also extensive - he is not vegetarian or vegan and was suitably impressed that he was tempted by so many options. When the meals were presented to us we were delighted. They are set out creatively on the plates and come with small pots of sauces etc - you get lots too. My meal was delicious - absolutely divine! and my husband could not praise them highly enough after he had devoured his lasagna! The tastiest he has ever had! We had cakes too - well you have to don't you! Superb - fresh and delicious. Colin and Maria offered me so many extra vegan options - I was so impressed, nothing was too much trouble. They go the extra mile in The Coven to please their customers - and they make you feel so welcome and valued, speaking to you individually and chatting. The atmosphere is so relaxing and friendly, all the diners were smiling at us and chatted to us. The prices are competitive too - such fabulous fresh and creative food at affordable prices - I am in heaven! We have been again since our first visit with our daughter and she had the lasagna on my husbands recommendation - she loved it and wants to try the vegan mushroom burger on bagel with fresh salad next time - yum! We will definitely be back and intend to book one of the evenings too. Thanks Colin and Maria for making a real difference to the lives of all who are fortunate enough to discover The Coven!

3  Thank dawnymarie312

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Service was very friendly and we were immediately asked if we had any special dietary requirements (we're both vegan)and handed the relevant menu. The food was freshly made and very tasty. It makes a change to have an alternative to salads and veggie burgers. I had croque monsieur and my boyfriend had welsh rarebit, washed down with chai latte (the tastiest in lancashire) and sencha green tea, respectively.

All in all, we will be definitely returning and hope to go to one of the gourmet evenings if we can manage to book on before they fill up!

2  Thank cidersmurfette
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I literally just popped in to eth coven to inquire about a cake – when I tried one of their wheat free brownies “heaven” being a cake’oholic and being a celiac is very difficult not to mention expensive and the stuff they sell in the shops are quite frankly awe full !
At the coven they make everything from scratch – so not only is everything fresh but not mass produced and very very tasty .

Myself and Friend – decided to stay for lunch – and Maria and Collin were very very nice ! and made us feel very much at home – I had the Spanish potatoes which were to die for ! and friend had a Mushroom burger – him being a meat eating south African (he actually asked me on the way home what kind of meat was the burger made from as the texture was just like meat )

All in all the vibe at eth coven is great and very homely – and Maria And Collin cannot feed you enough, I left feeling very stuffed and satisfied but not to the point of uncomfortable !

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who fancies a treat or a bit of a healthy change. Not only do you enjoy yourself and the atmosphere here , but in some small way your making a little difference in the world by supporting a vege/vegan (with meat as an option) restaurant

3  Thank zoe g
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My three friends and I had spent Tuesdays of the previous 4 weeks following a special Meditation Course, we were attending in the centre of Manchester, going to claimed best vegetarian eating places in Manchester. Eighth Day Cafe, Greens, Earth Cafe and TeaCup. We had been told about The Coven in Wigan and decided to try it. How glad were we, it turns out to be the BEST vegetarian SUSTENANCE for our STOMACHS we have ever had. Being Vegetarians we are catered for in restaurants and cafes, but and it's a big but, the food is normally bland, Maria who works in the kitchen at The Coven is a magician. Her food was delivered promptly, hot, and so so flavourful. We will certainly go out of our way again and travel to The Coven, in Wigan.

1  Thank PhilO53
Reviewed August 4, 2011

If you care about what you eat the coven is the only place to eat in Wigan . The food is freshly prepared and care that goes into the prep and cooking is second to non. All special diets are catered for and Maria and Colin are only too happy to discuss any specific needs. Trust me you will be definately be back for more.

1  Thank misslibjon