“I have never been treated so badly”
Review of Bel Air Hotel

Bel Air Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Wigan
Wigan, United Kingdom
“I have never been treated so badly”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My wife and I thought we would try the newly opened restaurant at this hotel..
I phoned at lunchtime on Saturday and made a reservation for 8.00 p.m. in the restaurant.

We arrived at 7.45 p.m. The restaurant and reception were empty so I spoke to a pleasant young lady at the bar. She called a male member of staff and we explained that we had booked a table. We were told that the man who would have taken the booking wasn't in and that there was nobody in the restaurant that night.

As we had come for a meal, I asked if there was anything they could do for us. The guy said he could order us a chinese and laughed. At that point I turned to leave and he said "what do you expect me to do about it"? I said "it's your restaurant" and walked out. He shouted after us "and don't bother coming back".

I understand that mistakes can happen, but the least I would have expected was an apology. I am disgusted at this treatment and will certainly never set foot in that establishment again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLK1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2011

me and my husband stopped here after our wedding the room was nice and clean and the breakfast was delicious

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lynne034
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I was visiting friends in the Wigan area and i found the BelAir Hotel to be warm and welcoming. The new owners who have recently taken over in the last 4 months are working hard to renovate this tired hotel. The new rooms, one of which i stopped in are very clean, modern, and comfortable. The breakfast is a self serve continental breakfast consisting of tea, coffee, fresh juices, bagels, crossiants, toast, tea cakes, fruit, yogurts, jams etc..more than i have recieved in some of the more exclusive hotels. I would recomend this hotel to a friend, I think it was very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
wigan
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Due to business concerns I spent 2 months in this hotel. The staff and owners are terrific people and can never do enough for their guests. I have watched the hotel go from strength to strength, when their refurbishment plan is complete it will reflect the hard work and dedication that has been put in.
Breakfast is just what you need to start the day and was really good.
I hope to be back up in Wigan soon and there will be no other Hotel for me but The Bel Air.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The hotel is shabby, clean(ish) - the cups etc were not. The hotel smells foisty and damp and is cold. Our room was noisey (outside traffic noise). One cannot descrbie the breakfast. We were told it was served until 10, yet the cook informed us (at 08:35) that it was only served until 9. The sausages were not cooked, the scrambled eggs didn't even look like scrambeled egg and the toast was dry warm bread. Not a pleasureable experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Wigan hotels

liverpool
Reviewed September 6, 2009

when we arrived everything was ok got asked if we wanted to pay then or when we were leaving so decided to pay then big mistake because if i would have left it till morning i dont think i would have paid the full price or expected to, the room was small no heating no hot water bath was dirty anyway, loads of carpet stains, cob webs, furniture was mismatched and dirty ,no hairdryer in room even though it was advertised, hairs on the bed sheets walls dirty could do with a lick of paint, in the morning when we came down to have breakfast my wife had cornflakes but couldnt eat it as milk was of, full english breakfast was nice and when we spoke to staff about the room even they were it was a disgrace but couldnt go and say anything to the manager,"why" because she was asleep

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
brussels
Reviewed July 1, 2009

you get what you ask for in this hotel. its a comfortable hotel with a homely feel. At night time the bar is always full of locals watching sport and conversing as only wiganers can...make you feel very welcome..i would certainly go back there.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business