“good food and staff”
Review of The Tavern Bar&Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

The Tavern Bar&Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Rich in its Eastern references, The Tavern Bar and Thai Restaurant offers Wigan���s diners a sumptuous dining experience with a strong Thai feel. Passers by may mistake The Tavern to be just another high-end pub but stepping inside this old Victorian drinking establishment, you���ll discover an exciting fusion of East and West, the antique wood carved bar surrounded by high tables and stools yet lit by printed silk lamps and dotted with pretty pink orchids. Through to the expansive dining room, The Tavern becomes increasingly sophisticated with a romantic atmosphere. The space is surrounded by beautiful Thai artefacts and yet more plants, the lighting low and warm and tables generously spaced. As well as the traditional dishes Thai restaurants are known for, The Tavern���s talented kitchen offers a fine selection of its own creative takes on South East Asian cuisine, using authentic ingredients such as lemongrass, galangal and coconut milk, flown in direct from Thailand weekly, to evoke the traditional flavour of Thai cookery.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The premises are very clean and maintained, from walking in the door from the greeting till you leave the staff are friendly and only too willing to help. I found the food presentation very artistic amd enjpyable.

We had people in our party that had varied tastes and the menu was well balanced so all enjoyed their food.

it is now the only thai resturant i eat at in wigan.

Turk2523, Manager at The Tavern Bar&Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thanks medtechuk for your great response to our restaurant . We are very pleased we could accommodate all our guests varied tastes ! We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Had dinner here with friends before a concert we had travelled from Newcastle for on friday march 15th. After a drink in the comfortable bar downstairs we went upstairs to the Thai restaurant where the atmosphere was relaxing and the service was good.The food was so well cooked and of such a high standard that I had to keep reminding myself I was in the middle of Wigan and not somewhere slightly more exotic!
I would definitely return given the chance but I would hope that the background music had been changed to something more appropriate than obtrusive rinky dinky piano covers of popular songs ! Fortunately we all found them amusing but I could imagine they would get on your nerves if you were a regular or wanted a romantic and atmospheric evening for two !

Thank you very much Chas058 . We are glad your first visit at our restaurant was a successful one ! We will take your feedback on board , it is always hard to find some music to suit everyone's taste but our main objective is to make all our customers feel relaxed and comfortable in our restaurant . We look forward to seeing you again .

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hi, called in here today....its centrally located and you can park above in the Galleries car park (pay car park). It has a wide venue and is a very nice place, the decore is excellent and offers real atmosphere.

Well worth a visit.

Turk2523, Manager at The Tavern Bar&Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review with us! We are always pleased knowing our customers have had a satisfying meal with us and enjoyed their time at The Tavern Bar & Thai Restaurant . Our main objective is to make sure our customers are 100% happy and we are always content knowing they are. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

-Jessica , Management Team.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Go to this restaurant 3 - 4 times a month. The service is very freindly and attentetive, the food is always very good and served within a reasonable amount of time for fresh food.

The fixed special menu is a delight and great value.Normally when you see a fixed price special you expect smaller portions or poorer food- this is definitely not the case here.

My only minor winge (and this applies to all Thai restaurants) is the price of a small Singha beer- it is cheaper to buy a pint of lager than a small bottle.If you have 3 or 4 bottles this can end up costing you more than the food!

However as stated this applies to all Thai restaurants and not just this one.In summary,If you like Thai food and traditional freindly efficient Thai service then the Tavern Bar is a must .

Thank you very much for your review with us. We are very pleased that your a regular customer with us ! We are also glad that you benefit from our fixed price menu , and our portion sizes are of good choice for you . We are put our customers first so we will take your feedback on board. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I tried this place on recommendation of people "in the know". It is located on a corner along Mesnes. The place is big, with the ground floor being a pub. You go all the way in and upstairs. There is a mezzanine but to check in and ask for a table you have to go up to the main first floor. I went for the lunch special which is £6.95 for starters and mains, £5.95 if you just get the main. I went for the Tom Yum Mushroom soup. It was heavenly and deadly -- i.e., it is a rich mix of chili, lemon grass and (surprise!) coconut, brimming with whole button mushrooms and it is fiery hot -- not for the fainthearted -- but you will enjoy this if you love spicy. Which I suspect one would if you love Thai food. For the main, I had the chicken green curry. The chicken was VERY tender, and the curry was coconutish with courgette bits. I wish they would add aubergine -- but then that did not come in the menu description anyway -- so I shouldn't complain. A bit of an assortment of vegetables in it would be nice. Needless to say, the dish was heavenly. I really loved it. I "upgraded" the boiled rice that normally came with the dish to the Thai Fried Rice with Egg -- for an additional £1.95. It tasted good -- no great shakes, rice with scrambled egg bits and a generous fresh sprinkling of green onions which gave the plate a kick. The only gripe I have with this is that the rice portion is too small for a curry dish where you have lots of coconut sauce. And the charge of almost £2 ($1.95) ON TOP OF the existing price is DEFINITELY too steep, considering it is merely an "upgrade" from boiled rice (the price of which is already factored in. I suggest a pricing review on this. Perhaps an additional £1 or £1.25 should be enough. It is not a big portion of rice anyway. For this reason, I am not giving it full points because this affects the value for money aspect of this review. My consistent gripe with food service in this country is that you have to ASK for water (not sprinkling, just drinking water) and you have to ask for your glass to be refilled. In the US, this is automatic. A person usually goes around to make sure that you don't choke on your food and that means that you have water to wash what you eat down. Again, in this place, I had to ask for water (you need it for spicy food!) and when I asked for a refill, they gamely gave me a jug for me to fill my glass. This is alright I guess.
So to summarize : Great Thai food (superb!). The place is clean and beautifully decorated. The service is alright, needs some improvement but definitely very good already. Not obnoxious and delivery of food was pretty fast. The pricing, -- good and reasonable but please review the additionals you put to change standards of the lunch special. I definitely would come back often, and I definitely would recommend this to friends.

Turk2523, Manager at The Tavern Bar&Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your review with us . As always we are always pleased to hear what our customers have to say about our service and the quality of our food. We always take pride in making sure our customers are satisfied with each course of their meal so we always take everyone's feedback on board .We will always make sure when a customer is low on drinks to prioritize that we ask them for any other drinks straight away. Were very glad you were impressed with our food and we look forward to you dining with us again soon.

Jessica , Management Team.