“Lack of staff”

Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Wigan
“Lack of staff”
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last night and although the rooms were clean and comfortable my gripe is the lack of staff in and around the bar area., countless times I had to go in search of a member of staff to serve drinks

1 Thank Kev515kev
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologise that you did not receive the normal standard of service and have spoken to my Restaurant Manager and Duty Managers to ensure that we do not receive a repeat of this in the future.

I do hope that this had not marred your impression of the hotel and that you will choose us again for your next visit.

We look forward to seeing you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here. And normally its very good. But this time with only 3 people in the resturant when we sat down it took 1hour 40 mins to get soup.chicken and a sweet why ??? If the staff are on a go slow I will change hotels. Its a pity because everything else is great.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your review. I was extremely concerned about your comments and have spoken, at length, to my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager regarding this.

I can assure that this was an exceptional circumstance and can assure you that this will not be repeated in the future. I do hope that you will continue to stay at the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This is the 3rd visit to the Mercure and was just as great as my previous time. Checked in by a guy who i havent met before but never the less he seemed a happy chap and helpful i.e papers wake up calls ect. The room yet again no problems all nice and clean. Breakfast and service was great
Thank you to all for another outstanding service David

• Stayed October 2013
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We try continuously to offer our guests the highest level of comfort and service possible so it is always very pleasing to read that guests enjoyed their stay with us especially when, like yourself, it is a return visit.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
scotland
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is ok but the two things I did not like were,
(1) the hot breakfast items are not very appetising as they are kept in small dishes below a heat lamp, which dries out the food especially the bacon and srambled egg. it is also expensive for the the variety offered which for £10 is poor.
(2) As a lone traveller I prefer to order room service, but beware there is an over the top tray charge of £5 to deliver it to your room. Most hotels charge a reasonable £3 for this service.
I also found that the sensor operated lighting on the corridors is useless as they dont come on when you most need them, the whole corridor does not light up when you get out the lift only the area that you are standinging in. Single female travellers may find this alarming as the corridors remain rather dark especially at night.
The hotel public areas seem tired and that they need re-decorating but the rooms are comfortable enough. The room service food was fine and bar prices for a hotel were acceptable.
The entrance to the hotel is rather tucked out of the way in a back street.
I would stay again but through its location not its attraction.

Room Tip: Road facing rooms are noisy.
1 Thank Alicanteman
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was sorry to read that you were not totally satisfied with your stay here. We normally receive very positive comments regarding our Breakfast, so I apologise that this was not to your satisfaction.

The lights in the bedroom corridor have been installed as an energy saving design, however I do take on board your comments relating to this.

I must say that I was rather surprised to read your comments regarding the public areas, as these have only recently undergone a complete refurbishment and, again, we have received a high level of postive comments regarding this.

I do hope that you will choose us again for your next visit and we look forward to seeing you.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

my husband had treated me to a 2night break to unwind and cannot fault this hotel...rooms were lovely and very confortable,maid serviced each day and toiletries etc replenished..staff very pleasant, food very good as much as you want for brekkie..we were on a wine n dine offer and the evening meal was fantastic. Thankyou to all staff. The only negative was we had a couple above us who decided to argue in the early yours and kept me awake and you could hear them.

• Stayed September 2013
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and have passed on your very kind comments to all departments.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Firstly I would like to say, that my stay was probably the exception but I didn't enjoy my stay at this hotel. My primary complaint was being asked for a cash payment when my room service was ordered, I have ordered room service for many evening meals at lots of hotels across the UK but never been asked for a cash payment there and then. I explained that I didn't have the cash and could they just not put it on my room bill and I will pay on check out to be told no, that I had to go and pay at reception after I have had my evening meal....What? I did go to reception after my meal (what's the point of me ordering room service when I am forced to go back down stairs anyway) and paid the bill but reception told me that I could have paid on check out. I think a little re-training of the restaurant staff is required. Other than that, it was ok.

1 Thank Steve1202
Thank you for your comments and I was extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. On check in, guests are asked if they require credit on their rooms, enabling them to order room service, drinks etc. This, in turn, is relayed to the restaurant staff. Obviously, on this occasion, there has been some breakdown of communication and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.

I will be speaking to my Restaurant Manager regarding your comments and ensure that there is no repeat of this in the future.

I do hope that this has not marred your impression of the hotel and that we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Have just returned from another great stay at the Wigan Oak. The rooms are tastefully decorated and have all the facilities you would expect. The hotel throughout is very nice and very centrally located.The staff are extremely pleasant and efficient, especially the reception team and night porter.

Would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Don't forget the hotel has WIFI throughout the hotel but you need to get your code from receptio...
1 Thank Dee M
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I'd like to thank you on behalf of everyone at the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel for your very kind comments, which I have passed on to all departments.

We are so pleased to know that we helped to make your stay enjoyable and hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.