“Ok but one or two issues!”

Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Wigan
scotland
“Ok but one or two issues!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is ok but the two things I did not like were,
(1) the hot breakfast items are not very appetising as they are kept in small dishes below a heat lamp, which dries out the food especially the bacon and srambled egg. it is also expensive for the the variety offered which for £10 is poor.
(2) As a lone traveller I prefer to order room service, but beware there is an over the top tray charge of £5 to deliver it to your room. Most hotels charge a reasonable £3 for this service.
I also found that the sensor operated lighting on the corridors is useless as they dont come on when you most need them, the whole corridor does not light up when you get out the lift only the area that you are standinging in. Single female travellers may find this alarming as the corridors remain rather dark especially at night.
The hotel public areas seem tired and that they need re-decorating but the rooms are comfortable enough. The room service food was fine and bar prices for a hotel were acceptable.
The entrance to the hotel is rather tucked out of the way in a back street.
I would stay again but through its location not its attraction.

Room Tip: Road facing rooms are noisy.
1 Thank Alicanteman
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was sorry to read that you were not totally satisfied with your stay here. We normally receive very positive comments regarding our Breakfast, so I apologise that this was not to your satisfaction.

The lights in the bedroom corridor have been installed as an energy saving design, however I do take on board your comments relating to this.

I must say that I was rather surprised to read your comments regarding the public areas, as these have only recently undergone a complete refurbishment and, again, we have received a high level of postive comments regarding this.

I do hope that you will choose us again for your next visit and we look forward to seeing you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

my husband had treated me to a 2night break to unwind and cannot fault this hotel...rooms were lovely and very confortable,maid serviced each day and toiletries etc replenished..staff very pleasant, food very good as much as you want for brekkie..we were on a wine n dine offer and the evening meal was fantastic. Thankyou to all staff. The only negative was we had a couple above us who decided to argue in the early yours and kept me awake and you could hear them.

• Stayed September 2013
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and have passed on your very kind comments to all departments.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Firstly I would like to say, that my stay was probably the exception but I didn't enjoy my stay at this hotel. My primary complaint was being asked for a cash payment when my room service was ordered, I have ordered room service for many evening meals at lots of hotels across the UK but never been asked for a cash payment there and then. I explained that I didn't have the cash and could they just not put it on my room bill and I will pay on check out to be told no, that I had to go and pay at reception after I have had my evening meal....What? I did go to reception after my meal (what's the point of me ordering room service when I am forced to go back down stairs anyway) and paid the bill but reception told me that I could have paid on check out. I think a little re-training of the restaurant staff is required. Other than that, it was ok.

1 Thank Steve1202
Thank you for your comments and I was extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. On check in, guests are asked if they require credit on their rooms, enabling them to order room service, drinks etc. This, in turn, is relayed to the restaurant staff. Obviously, on this occasion, there has been some breakdown of communication and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.

I will be speaking to my Restaurant Manager regarding your comments and ensure that there is no repeat of this in the future.

I do hope that this has not marred your impression of the hotel and that we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Oban, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Have just returned from another great stay at the Wigan Oak. The rooms are tastefully decorated and have all the facilities you would expect. The hotel throughout is very nice and very centrally located.The staff are extremely pleasant and efficient, especially the reception team and night porter.

Would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Don't forget the hotel has WIFI throughout the hotel but you need to get your code from receptio...
1 Thank Dee M
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I'd like to thank you on behalf of everyone at the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel for your very kind comments, which I have passed on to all departments.

We are so pleased to know that we helped to make your stay enjoyable and hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Excellent value, clean, comfortable and modern ensuite rooms. Wonderful breakfast buffet included. Helpful and friendly staff. Whenever we have friends visiting we lodge them here. It is within walking distance of town center and easy to access.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. If you are using the hotel on a regular basis for accommodation, please ask for details on our Bookers Reward scheme.

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just returned from a lovely 2 night stay in the Wigan Oak Hotel. The hotel is situated in the town centre, next to a very busy/noisy road, so make sure you ask for a room overlooking the hotel carpark.
The check-in was handled swiftly and efficiently by two very pleasant receptionists, who seemed eager to please, which is always nice. The room was similar to a Premier Inn room, with a superking size bed, which was of average quality, at best. The room would definately benefit from a Sealy mattress. The bathroom had a good shower and free toiletries, but only one bath towel, which I immediately pointed out to reception and was rectified in a matter of minutes.
Did eat at the hotel, but was very impressed by restaurant, when passing through.
Hotel was booked through Alpharooms.com, which were the cheapest at the time of booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the hotel carpark to avoid some of the road noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel. Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our Recepton staff, I have passed a copy of your review on to my Head Receptionist.
I was a little surprised to read your comments regarding the mattress and we ordinarily receive very positive comments regarding these, however I appreciate your input and have discussed this with my Head Housekeeper.
I hope that you will choose the Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel when you are next visiting the area. We look forward to seeing you.
Elloughton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed here for a two night ( one night all inclusive deal ) . The room wasn"t the largest we"ve stayed in but adequate ,clean and comfortable . The breakfast is a buffet , with plenty of choice .The evening meal which consists of two courses was quite sufficient before hitting the FREE bar . The staff was one of the friendliest we have come across , making it a very pleasant stay . The location is also central for shopping .

Room Tip: Ask for high aspect at the rear away from the lift .
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and for your very kind comments, in particular about our staff and the service. We are alway delighted to know that guests enjoyed their stay with us.

Hopefully, we will get the chance of welcoming you back again soon.