“Great value for a very nice hotel”

Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Wigan
Surrey
“Great value for a very nice hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for £85 for 2 nights through laterooms which I thought was a fantastic deal. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, I'm not sure why, but I was very pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Despite not being in the best area, the hotel itself was bright, clean and welcoming. The woman on reception was lovely and checked us all in very quickly. Our room was spacious, modern and clean..although we only had one plug socket which was annoying! The shower was incredible...our whole party, who we were here for a wedding, commented on how fabulous the showers were and little things like the fact we had lovely big fluffy towels just made the whole experience a really good one. On the Friday night we had a set dinner menu seeing as there were 30 of us, and for £14 each we were treated to a 3 course meal. Again I didn't expect much but was treated to a fabulous fish dinner with silver service potatoes and vegetables. I was so impressed. However considering the meal was such good value, we paid £17.50 for a bottle of wine which isn't cheap. Finally, on one of the mornings we had the breakfast which was really lovely as well. Book beforehand though as it's 'only' £8 as opposed to £14 if you just turn up. Overall a very pleasant stay indeed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read that you and the rest of the wedding party had such an enjoyable stay and have passed on your very kind comments to all departments.
The meal that you attended on the Friday was part of a special offer - just one of many that we have here - and I am so pleased that your meal was enjoyable.
I hope that we get the chance to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had to stay in Wigan for a couple of nights, so i booked this hotel. The area the hotel is in isn't good and reminded me of a war zone, however once your in the hotel things get much better. The hotel has friendly reception staff and the décor is modern. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped. I didn't have dinner at the hotel but i did have breakfast which was a buffet style. The breakfast was good with a good choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was especially pleased to read your comments regarding the staff as we are constantly striving to offer all our guests a friendly and professional service.

If you use accommodation regularly in the area, why not contact us and ask about a preferential rate?

We look forward to seeing you again, soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were booked in at another hotel in Bolton as my husband was taking part in the Ironman. They had double booked us so transferred us to another hotel owned by them but having read the reviews & seen the pictures we cancelled straightaway. We were then frantically looking for another hotel for ourselves & the family. We contacted the Mercure in Wigan directly & spoke to Gino who couldn't have been more helpful. We were travelling with a baby & all the staff couldn't have been more friendly or obliging. I am so glad we stayed here & would definitely recommend it to others. Thanks very much to you all.

Room Tip: All the rooms are top quality, our family were in 3 rooms all on different floors but we all had gre...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Julie D
Thank you for your review and for your very kind comments. I was delighted to read that we were able to help you with your accommodation problem and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on a copy of your comments to Gino and to all our staff.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Booked this chain hotel online and was impressed by the reasonably-priced B&B deal. Easy to find, close to the town centre and onsite parking. The staff were helpful and friendly and the rooms were clean with large bed and everything we needed. Had a sound night's sleep and the breakfast offered a good choice. Would definitely stay again and will look at Mercure hotels again in other areas.

Room Tip: Could ask for a room away from the road if you like to sleep with the window open!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your very kind comments. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would choose us again for your next stay.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
London
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've thought long and hard before writing this review and the following is a true representation of our stay with all the emotion taken out.

My fiancee booked the hotel and, as she always does, went into a great deal of detail as the second room we booked was for her disabled (wheelchair bound) son. Having received the assurances as to the accessability of the room she booked it along with a double for us. Unfortunately upon arrival the room, whilst slightly larger than our room and with a bathroom also slightly larger, was nonetheless not really what could be described as 'disabled access'. Most of the problem lay in the bathroom. Whilst it was slightly larger the shower still had a 3" lip. My Fiancee's son has an electric wheelchair making it impossible to transfer from it to the shower chair and he had to be lifted (he is 21) - not very dignified for anyone and resulting in a sore back for my Fiancee. The toilet had no hand rails to support a transfer from the chair to the toilet. This made our stay more stressful than it might have been although this sort of experience is something we have come to expect in general when staying in hotels in the UK despite the care we take and the research we undertake, at the end of the day we must rely on the assurances give to us by the staff at the hotel as to accessability. In this case those assurances were not met.

Moving on from this.....the hotel is a modern building, a budget hotel but slightly more upmarket than say a Travelodge or Premier Inn. With breakfast (£8 if prebooked £13 if not!!) the two rooms cost just over £420 for three nights or £70 per room per night.

Leaving aside the issues in respect of the disabled room, the rooms were pleasant, ours were on the ground floor, clean bathroom, complimentary bathroom products, no wardrobe, just a small hanging space and two small drawers, one containing the hairdryer, the other Gideon's Bible. Flat screen TV with Freeview channels. WiFi was free but a bit hit and miss. We had two single beds so not the double we ordered but able to be pushed together. The bathroom door had a hole in it where someone had presumably given it a kick which we immediatley reported to reception ( to ensure we werent blamed for it). Unfortunately our room was next to a housekeepers store room so was quite noisy with frequent banging of doors and voices from fairly early on in the morning.

Having obtained vouchers for a discounted dinner from the Mercure website we called from outside the hotel on the Friday evening to book a table (a requirement of the vouchers validity being that the table be prebooked). We were told that the restaurant was full all weekend. The same evening we were leaving the hotel to eat out when I noticed the restaurant was all but empty. On enquiry at the reception I was informed there would be no problem with a table for dinner. Not sure if this was a deliberate policy but I would only say that at no point during our stay (Friday to Monday) was the restaurant any more than, at best, half full so why tell us this?

On the Saturday night (about 0200) the fire alarm went off for just a moment. The same morning at 0800 it went off again. As we were preparing to leave our room in response to this alarm, it stopped. My Fiancee went out into the corridor and asked the cleaning staff if it was a fire alarm and was told it was a test. I then went to Reception to confirm this as surely we should have been told if it had been a scheduled test. I was told it was not a test but the conservatory becoming hot and setting the fire alarm off. The staff couldn't reset it until they had checked to see if there was a fire (quite right!!) but why tell us it was a test?

On the Sunday morning we went into the Restaurant for Breakfast and headed for the table we had used for Friday evening's dinner and Saturday morning's breakfast. We were told, quite firmly, that the table was reserved (the restaurant was empty apart from us) and we were shown to another table which was not quite as suitable as it was in the middle of the restaurant and the wheelchair could have caused a hazard to other people. In fact it was clear that the first table had already been set for dinner - completely understand this but why tell us it was reserved?

During breakfast the 4 staff, who had nothing else to do, stood together chatting about 2 metres from us and constantly looking in our direction. I found this slightly offputting, probably my own fault but I am uncomfortable being watched when I am eating. Breakfast was OK. sausages, bacon (very fatty), black pudding, mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns, scrambled eggs (they'll also fry to order), juices, yoghurts, cereal and fruit, bread and a toaster and (on Sunday only) Croissants.

The staff were always pleasant but there was a consistant theme of being told things that weren't the case.

So, our stay could have been OK but spoilt to a degree by the misleading information we were constantly given in respionse to our various enquiries and, more importantly, by the limited disabled access, now I know that the hotel's General Manager responds to Trip Advisor reviews and effectively has the last word however, as I said at the start, this is a dispassionate review and the content should be accepted as such. I would suggest the hotel reviews their disabled facilities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MaxLondon2
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your very constructive review. I can assure you that we are taking your comments very seriously and, as a result, will be discussing these with the relevant Heads of Department.

I do hope to speak with you personally, as soon as possible, regarding the issues you have raised and thank you again for your valuable feedback.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I paid a whistle stop at this hotel. The rooms were of the highest quality and clean. However no air-con. Shame. The breakfast was terrible what a let down. The food was either dried out or swimming in fat . Very disappointing.

Room Tip: £13.95 for breakfast. Don't bother.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank leepownall2426
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Whilst I was very pleased to read that you found our rooms clean and comfortable, I was equally disappointed to read that you did not enjoy Breakfast. This is a great concern to me, as we normally receive positive comments on our food. I have spoken to my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager regarding this and can only apologise. I do hope that this has not deterred you from staying with us in the future.
If you do need any accommodation, please contact me directly and I will ensure that your stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wigan
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Coaching Inn Hotel
Coaching Inn Hotel
#8 of 12 in Wigan

Been to Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!