“My New Favourite!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Recently dined at Summat To Ate on a busy Saturday summer evening. Having been before me and my partner knew what to expect, he had steak as usual but I had the pleasure of trying something new from the summer menu and I have to say it was the best meal out I've had in ages! I started with the feta cheese salad which was definitely a healthy portion size!.. It came with a chilli dressing, pancetta and asparagus, it was beautiful! Then for main course I had the chicken, it came with Bombay potatoes, mozzarella and pancetta with an oil dressing, how can simple chicken breast taste so nice?!
Service was great as always, great friendly atmosphere and we even received an offers voucher upon paying.
My new favourite restaurant!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Recently visited for my daughters 18th birthday. We booked the 3 course set meal for parties 10 or more people. The staff were fantastic and gave us lots of attention on what was a very special night for us and busy night at the restaurant. The food was 1st class and the hot rock experience was excellent especially for the members of our party who are fussy about how their steaks are cooked. Would highly recommend to anybody however large or small the number of people. This restaurant and staff are a credit to Kai.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We've not been to Summat to eat for a couple of months,we arrived at the side door with a very pungent smell off rotting food coming from the the bin area,(yes it was a hot evening but its not something you want to smell before entering a Restaurant),we have dinned here many times & been very happy with both service and food, we even had our wedding reception here, but I'm afraid this time it didn't reach this high standard as before.
After being show to our table we where asked if we had "dinned here before"
We explained that we had ! At this point we should have been told that the menu had changed and no longer included a side order of veg with selected meals, We worked it out that it would had been a extra £6 on the bill each for the mix mixed veg,the waitress explained later on that lot of people weren't eating the veg therefore they had a lot of waste, we understand this but still think we should have been asked "would you like some vegetables with your meal"
The small amount of hand cut chips did not reflect in price with the veg excluded.
The price of the steak I had ordered had not changed to reflect the absence of veg,
The steak came and had been cooked on both sides before it was presented to us,something we are not used to with the hot rock,
Our friend had ordered the lamb and was surprised when it arrived that the portion size had half since our last visit.
The standard of the food itself was very good but the portion size n lack of side veg & price of drinks meant that the overall experience was disappointing !
M j cooke

1  Thank Martin C
kaiiak321, Manager at Summat To Ate, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

I am sorry you were not happy when dining with us recently. Knowing that you are regular customers I would like to apologise if we didn't make the vegetable situation more clear. We have updated our menus recently and have removed any mention of vegetables and instead stated that the steaks now come with chunky chips, vine tomatoes and field mushroom. Along with our new hot rock platters I feel this looks fresher and more modern than the platters they replaced. Regarding the vegetable situation, costs of ingredients mainly potatoes have tripled over the last 12 months and we were in the position of increasing our prices or cutting out waste whilst trying to further improve our offering. We haven't simply took the veg off and started charging £2 for them, we are offering side orders such as honey and mustard glazed baby carrots and buttered peas with bacon. We feel this again adds a bit to the maybe standard veg we used to offer. This has meant that we have infact lowered some of the steak prices, and our main menu of steaks is cheaper than it was 6 months ago. By removing veg and salad we have been able to hold the midweek deal and Sunday menus at £15.95 and £12.95 respectively.

Also I can assure you that the lamb is exactly the same size it's always been. We've had different lamb in the past like lamb shank but this lamb rump is the same size it's always been.

With regards to the smelly bins we do get them emptied twice a week and they also get washed fortnightly by a specialist company so there is little else we can do as like you say the weather has been extremely hot recently.

I would have expected given our dealings over the last few years and your many positive previous visits you could have approached me directly so we could have sorted any problems, however trivial, so that you could continue to enjoy the place that must hold so many happy memories for you.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have eaten at Summat to Ate on many occasions over the years and up until last weekend have always been more than happy with the food, however I feel compelled to report on my most recent experience which was a real let down.
We came for an early evening meal with my mother who has not been in the best of health recently hoping that she would be tempted by the usually lovely food to eat a little more than she has been. Unfortunately, the summer menu seemed somewhat limited - mum is having to go fat-free/very low fat for health reasons and there were few choices that she could have. In the end she plumped for soup (not ideal on a blazing hot day) and the roast beef main. When it arrived, the beef was as tough as a piece of old boot leather and tasted of nothing - she doesn't like to complain so she just left most of it, eating just a few potatoes and a bit of veg. My ham hock terrine was straight out of the fridge and hence too cold, also tasting of very little but worse - comprised largely of big lumps of gristle. I did mention this to the waiter when he came to collect the plates but he didn't seem particularly bothered. My main course (sea bass) was OK despite a few bones but not as good as I have had there in the past.

We ended up leaving in a bit of a hurry as mum was feeling ill - the waiter asked if everything was ok "apart from your gristly ham"! We didn't leave a tip!

When we got back to mum's, her neighbour who is also a regular customer told us that the chef/owner was away on holiday which perhaps explains the shortfall this time. If this is the case, I strongly recommend that they find a better replacement during their absences or they run the danger of their good reputation being damaged - anyone new to the restaurant would probably think the worst and not come back.

I have to say, the experience has put me off coming back for a while - certainly until the menu is revised anyway. It is such a shame as all my previous experiences at the restaurant have been excellent and the chef makes the best cheesecakes I have ever tasted!

2  Thank Grombags
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Food on this visit was absolutely delicious. I don't normally do burgers but just felt like one and I wasn't disappointed, it was fantastic. The other half had chicken supreme which he too was happy with. Service was brilliant as usual, what more can I say.