“Cheap and still not worth the money”

The Bellingham Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Wigan B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was surprised the see positive reviews about this hotel. I really didn't know where to start when reviewing this place. For some reason my colleagues insist on coming back here year after year because it is cheap and in a good location. Unfortunately, I still don't think it is worth it. I would prefer to pay four or five times more and go somewhere else.

The hotel is very tired and really needs some money spending on it. The biggest disappointment for me is the food. The starter made me gag, something that has never happened to me before, the main course was okay but my colleague had a risotto that looked more like over cooked basmati, it rolled in clumps around the plate, I wonder if the chef knew what a risotto was. I could not face desert but my friend had cheesecake, it had been left out for a while as it was not cold when it arrived at the table, it smelled very sour and there was mould on the fruit. Wine was part of our deal but there was one bottle between 9, pathetic.

It appears that many of my colleagues had eaten their dinner before going to the Bellingham for a meal because they knew how bad it was. Perhaps I will do the same if I ever have to go again.

Such a shame!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank LancashireBridget

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived and were welcomed and given our room key Yes some areas of the hotel are in need of a face lift but when we found our room we were not disappointed the room was large with a good bathroom it was clean and warm The breakfast was great and overall the stay was worth the money
E e

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2012

After travelling from Scotland, we arrived early at the Bellingham Hotel, the staff were very accomodating and had our room ready quickly and they were helpful with any queries we had. There had been a peoblem with the lift, but this was sorted quickly. The Hotel building may be a little tired, but ALL the staff and the food MORE than made up for it. Thanks to the Manager (Richard, I believe) and his team of workers, we had a lovely pleasant stay. It was our nephew and his new wife's wedding, and well worth the 200 miles travelling. The meal was beautiful, well cooked and presented, waiting staff were so friendly and polite, bar well stocked and reasonably priced, And to be received with smiling faces next morning was great, the staff worked on after we departed near 2 oclock...... They really did the Hotel proud. Overall a good wedding reception venue. Thank you very much.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed here whilst on tour with a show and had a great time. The staff were always friendly and helpful and opened the bar for us late in the evenings after our show which was great. Would happily recommend

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2012

There can only be one reason for booking this hotel. It`s cheap; £25 for single b & b and the bar is very reasonable. Good point: decent cooked breakfast. Bad points: well, everything else, really, too much to list but here`s a few.
1. Shower head didn`t work ( told reception but 2 days later still same ).
2. Tap on bath come off in your hand ( been broken a while ).
3. Broken bulbs in room.
4. Thin single pillow.
5. VERY creaky floors in corridors make for a disturbed night`s sleep.
6. Much of the hotel looks very untidy, neglected for years if not decades.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed one night recently in a single room. I found the room to be basic but warm and comfortable. Other reviews mentioned that there were blankets rather than duvets and this was indeed the case, however the bed was comfortable and I slept like a baby.
The overall feel of the place was that it was trying to be more posh than it actually was, however this isn't to criticize as the staff were very pleasant and helpful, the bar buzzing and popular, and the prices very reasonable. The food was nice without being fantastic, but once again reasonably priced.
There's plenty of parking and the town centre is a short bus ride away.
I would definitely recommend the Bellingham, but bear in mind it is only £25 a night so expect a few idiosyncrocies.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Myself and my parter needed somewhere fairly cheap to stay overnight for one weekend. Having searched the internet we found that the Bellingham was the most reasonable price and looked the best option. We were greeted by staff upon arrival and given our room key. When entering the room a slightly damp smell hit us. The room looked quite clean but there were marks on the walls and stains on the carpet. The bath was also stained and there was an emtpy tube in the toilet roll dispenser. The bedding was quite itchy and the pillows very thin. The walls were also very thin as you could here other people walking around upstairs and in the corridor, every time we heard a knock we thought it was on our door. The window seemed to be shut however we could hear the traffic outside very clearly and there was a cold draft coming through. The part i was most dissappointed with was the breakfast, i ordered scrambled egg and toast and found hairs and bits of egg shell in it. For £25 i wasn't expecting somewhere amazing but i did hope for somewhere clean and a bit more up to standard!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business