“Mediocre at best”

Ranked #82 of 320 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: ASK Italian in Durham is a place for great food and warm service. Think fresh bread made to tear and share. A glass of fine wine worth deserving of your time. Delicious main dishes prepared the traditional way. Everything we know and love about Italian food is served straight to your table. Take a look at our Durham menu and, if you like what you see, book a table.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Visited as part of a party of 14. Best description would be mediocre. Feels like sitting in a school dinner hall. Atmosphere ok if you like having to shout to other guests because of echoing noise. Food average and about as italian as michael caine! Service although attentive was slowed because the kitchen cannot cope with a full house. Witnessed 2 guests chasing manager to find out where their food was. Summary.... noisy, expensive for very average food, expensive drinks and slow kitchen.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The restaurant was almost empty at around 1930, and I thought it was because the students were largely away.We sat down and the service took forever. At one point the waitress serving us literally disappeared and never returned. The food was poor: I choose a panini with a salsa - the bred was soggy and the salsa too wet. It should have been served in a small dish instead of drowning the food. One of the " clean" glasses on the table had pink lipstick on the rim - from someone else. Yak! The service was so slow that we didn't stay for dessert. I think it was empty because the locals know better. Very disappointing and not recommended. Donlt waste your money here. (I eat at Ask in Tonbridge and it is first class - very different experience!)

1  Thank Linda D
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I visited with two friends on 2nd January. We were gave menus and weren't pestered for our orders within 5 minutes, which was good because all the food was in Italian so I had to either pick out recognisable words or read each description. When we ordered, our food came quick but it was piping hot and it was lovely. I got the £11 rectangle pizza because it was a bit fancier than the normal margharita pizza for around £7 and it was packed with olive oil, herbs and fancy cheeses. The food itself was cheap, and the meals came to just over £12 each, which was a meal, drink and a side of chips. It's the sides which will bring the price up as the side of chips was £3.15 so we split that.

The service at ASK is great, the staff were polite and when we asked for the bill they didn't hang around like in most restaurants I've been to, and we all left a tip for the service.

We visited this restaurant around 8pm and it was just getting slightly busy. However, the restaurant has many tables and seats, sitting comfortably and not squashed together, and each group of people were sat away from other groups so we all had privacy during the meal.

Lovely night, would definitely visit again soon :-)

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Except for the wobbly table it was very good. Good service. Very impressed as the mill next door made me walk out to come here. Glad that I did!!!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Went with colleague for lunch just before Christmas. The restaurant we were looking for was closed that day, and so we just happened to find this one. Had bread and olives to start, two large Peronis (reasonably-priced), some water and two pizzas. Portions were fine (couldn't finish my pizza - which is unusual for me). The restaurant wasn't crowded at all (weekday), and the service was fine and attentive. Food arrived quickly. The food lacked a certain-something or other (needed better cheese maybe on the pizza, or more garlic/hot pepper in the sauce), but that's nitpicking. Would have liked salt and pepper on table, but apart from that we were both happy with what we received. There are arguably-better, more authentic Italian restaurants in Durham, where you feel free to ask for a bit more of this, a bit more of that, or even to ask for thigns not on the menu, but this seemed to be reasonable value.