“Beautiful surroundings ruined by poor service.”
Review of Bella Italia Durham - CLOSED

Bella Italia Durham
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bella Italia in Durham boasts a beautiful city location tucked away beside the River Wear at the bottom of Silver Street. Step inside the pretty entrance and dine in the charming conservatory dining room with views overlooking the river and the bridge. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the Durham Bella Italia is a popular destination not just for the lovely views but for its well priced Italian dishes such as beef and pork meatballs in a rich tomato sauce served on spaghetti or the smoked salmon, prawns and cherry tomatoes served on penne pasta with a spinach, saffron and cream sauce. Bella Italia Durham is a real gem of a restaurant.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When me & my partner first went in we could see there was plenty of free tables but were told these were all taken so we would have to wait whilst they cleaned a table for us. That wasn't a problem as it was a saturday lunchtime time and we expected it to be a little busy. We were eventually given a table which gave us beautiful views over looking the bridge and the river.

From when we first sat down we were surrounded by several dirty tables that weren't cleared until we were getting up to leave.

Our waiter did promptly take our drinks order, and returned with a lemonade and a flat diet coke. It was a good 5 minutes before we saw another member of staff to ask for a replacement drink. No apology was offered it was taken taken away and the new drink placed on the table a few minutes later, again no apology.

We ordered the baked italian cheese & dipping breads for a starter. Which i have to say was lovely. My partner in the mean time wanted to order another drink, but no one came back to check on us until we had actually finished our starter.

We then had mozzarella carrozza, arancini from the specials, a diavola calzone & a side of courgette fries. The mains took a little over 30 minutes to arrive, (by this time we were 1 of only 6 tables left) and when it did one of the dishes was cold. We had to ask for more cutlery as the waiter who cleared our starters had taken all of it from the table. Unfortunately by the time we realised the dish was cold we couldn't see anybody to tell.

Again no one came to check back on us whilst we were eating to see if we were alright and ask for more drinks. Our plates were just cleared away as well without so much as a 'how was everything?'.

We then had to ask someone if we could order some puddings as we hadn't been offered a menu. We had a molti strati, which was alright, very artificial & sickly.

This was the first time we had been to a Bella Italia in a few years, and i'm sorry to say I wont be rushing back .

2  Thank Pi-Anna-3

Reviewed September 1, 2013

my. Wife and I visited Durham to see the Lindisfarne Gospels and afterwards visited Bella Itallia for a nice meal, my Wife had prebooked our meals so we where looking forward toa nice meal, my Wife had stipulated that she did not want Oil on her salad, when her meal arrived it was. covered in Oil, she told the waitress who said she would change it, when it was returned it was exactly the same so my wife only had the Salmon and when she was asked why she didn't enjoy her meal she explained why and was told no Oil was used but it was definately covered in Oil.My own meal was definately not worth the cost I had town search for my Steak and eventually found it under a peace of lettuce, to say we where dissapointed is an understatement , I must say they did not charge my Wife but the incident spolit what had been a wonderful visit town Durham, needless town say we will not be gracing the Bella Itallia resteraunt again

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Bella Italia has a very good position overlooking the river in Durham.
The food and service were very good, with a very lively atmosphere.
Certainly worth a visit although it was a little expensive.

1  Thank patrick_huggett
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Went twice in one week while visiting Durham so this speaks for itself. Excellent food & service. However, they do not have mustard for steak dishes .... strange? Otherwise, very helpful & obliging staff! Highly recommended.

2  Thank Cats1946
Reviewed August 7, 2013

On the "cathedral side of the river you go down a staircase that would take you to a walk by the river . But a quick right turn takes you into a restaurant close to being " river level " A good quarter of the restaurant is walled and roofed in glass so you can eat and gaze down the river and admire the river bank with its lofty trees. Quite a setting . The atmosphere we enjoyed was quiet and relaxing . The food good and tasty . It was roomy not cluttered and difficult to manouvre around . Many old age maps were decorating the walls and the service polite . Many good points here . Taste and enjoy :-)