“Don't judge it by the photograph!”

Shaheens Indian Bistro
Ranked #223 of 317 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Shaheens is a well established buisness Located 100 yards from durham cathedral Shaheen is a warm and welcoming place For families and individuals Shaheens has been serving durham for over 30 years
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The photograph does not do the food justice
Compare the food and service with any other indian in durham and it is right up there
But it's not cheap at all,meal for 2 with a glass of wine each, no coffee,no desert. £46
Homely not luxury
But I would definitely return and you should give it a try

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Shaheen's Indian Bistro is very welcoming. I ate there for the second time yesterday and was greeted by a friendly waitress who remembered me from my previous visit a month ago and even knew what I has ordered then, although I decided to try something different from the menu this time.

Service is prompt, so with the restaurant's handy location on Durham's peninsula, (the centre of the city), I can pop in for a proper meal amid a busy study schedule.

Indian food is a godsend when living gluten and dairy free. There is plenty I can eat on the menu.

The food is fairly priced - my budget rating reflects the fact that I am a student.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We haven't been to this restaurant -one of our favourites- for some time but we were recognised immediately and welcomed. We had a wonderful celebrationary birthday meal, as usual. The food was delicious...so much to choose from...and then we had the chance to savour some home made delicacies for our sweet. The hospitality was as warm as ever and we were so relaxed, It is definitely somewhere you must try for yourself....spot on!

2  Thank Helen B
Reviewed November 8, 2013

A rare evening without the kids took us to a restaurant we last visited about 22 years ago as students in Durham... And what a delightful meal. We discovered its the same chef as all those years ago, but this time his daughter was our waitress. Great food in the friendliest, most relaxed setting. Will return with our kids soon, and here's hoping it's still going strong for years to come!

1  Thank Jenny C
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Pretty shocked at the previous review and strongly disagree with what's been said, not accurate in the slightest and appears to be a bit of a glitch, jeleousy maybe? i dont know but As a regular of shaheens, we visit as often as we can as it's our favourite curry house. We've been to many curry houses but this by far is the best! The staff are great and always ensure their customers are satisfied with the meal and service, can't fault this place one bit and the food is above excellent, the Nans are the best and the curries are amazing, I know good food when I see it and this is above excellent. Also the restaurant is very clean and tidy, honestly don't know where the previous reviewer was coming from...Anyhow, if your looking for good food and excellent service, this is the place for you!