“Fantastic stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle View Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durham
Castle View Guest House
Ranked #4 of 39 Durham B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here again whilst visiting friends in Durham. The hotel has been refurbished since I last visited and I must say the room I stayed in was excellent, a good size, beautifully decorated and very clean. I find having tea and coffee facilities very handy too. The breakfast is excellent and all the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to help ! The location is also perfect, it is very central so you can walk to all the attractions, castle and cathedral etc and is a 5 minute walk from the train station, very handy ! I will definitely be returning whenever I am next in Durham.

Many thanks for an excellent stay !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
A pleasure to welcome you back and really glad you like our new rooms.
Hope u are able to come again as you say and thank you for your review
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

On a trip to Edinburgh, my train was delayed at Durham station.
I have travelled many times from London to Scotland but never actually got off and seen Durham.
The view of the cathedral at sunset from the station is absolutely beautiful and on the spur of the moment i got off the train.What the heck,why not.
I asked the first taxi to take me to a good central b n b ( half expecting to be taken to his brothers house) and he dropped me about 1 minute away at Castleview Guesthouse. I could have walked really but when i saw the view from here i knew it was the right place for me.
I asked for a room with a view and was given room 4.
I was not expecting such a cracking room and winced at the price that i would have to pay in edinburgh for such a room. But this was less than £80.
It had a great view of the cathedral and i still caught about half n hour of sunset bathed over the cathedral from a perfect little window seat.
After a shower in a nipping clean bathroom that had obviously been renovated very recently, i took a walk around town.
The house owner were on holiday but the son(david) of the house recommended a walk up South st (the next street along)to Prebends bridge and over to the cathedral island. I recommend it too. A simple walk had so much going for it.
I had a pint of bitter at the shakespere pub and finished davids circular route back to the b n b.
Quite a perfect simple evening i thought something must go wrong,but it never materialised.
I had a great nights sleep in a bed fit for a 5 star hotel and couldn't lay any fault with the breakfast.
The breakfast room was busy for a january i thought, but that always tells you something about a place.I was served by a lovely young lady who had the breakfast room running very smoothly. David checked me out and pointed a quick route to the train station without need for a car and i caught the early train to Edinburgh thinking, thats whats beautiful about small cities like Durham and small hotels like CastleVIew. Sometimes you do get lucky when you take chance( or your trains delayed.)

Room Tip: I had room 4.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank kevin m
Thanks Kevin - as you say lucky for you and lucky for us to get such an appreciative drop in guest.
Thanks for a great review.
tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Met some friends for the first time in Castle view and shared breakfast with them in the large comfortable dining room. we have been in touch again and plan to meet again in Tokyo our home city.
We all agreed that this was the best place we stayed on our tour.
would like to stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a luxury room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to review us.
It means a lot to ourselves and staff
Hope your friendship flourishes and you remember where you met
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I spent one night at this establishment and really couldn't fault it. My single room was cosy and beautifully decorated, with everything I could have wished for. The en-suite was stylish and spotless. The breakfast was delicious and served in a delightful airy room. The service was friendly and attentive and the food itself was superb - I was even offered a fruit smoothy.
The only slight downside (and it wasn't an issue for me on this occasion) is the on-street parking. I parked easily and as I was leaving in the morning the voucher I was given lasted for the duration of my stay. At peak times (summer weekends) I should imagine parking could be tricky and work out expensive. However, I certainly wouldn't let it put me off returning - there are plenty of carparks nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elaine99
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thanks for your mainly positive review however your purely speculative comments re the parking situation are just that - speculative and incorrect.
Although we are in the city centre we have several private parking spaces for exclusive use of our guests - which do not always get used as the street parking ( in cul-de-sac ) is not usually busy and is very convenient - guests can usually park right outside the front door.
Additionally we supply parking permits to all cars which enable guests to park in convenient restricted zones which are not available to local traffic.
Llanfyllin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

High quality guest house in a very central location. Easy access to the town centre, and a short walk from the railway station. Brilliant full English breakfast in the morning. I had a very peaceful and comfortable night sleep. Would definitely recommend, and use again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review us - we notice that you dropped us a point in the cleanliness section, would it be too much to ask if you could email us to let us know specifically what was the defect so that we can correct - we would very much appreciate it.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

So I have stayed at the Castle View twice before and this was my third time staying at this venue. When I came I got one of the renovated rooms. The rooms were lovely and cosy before but now they are so plush! I loved the bed, the pillows, the amazing bathroom, and the quiet tranquil nights sleep. The breakfast was the perfect cure for the post wedding hangover and the bed was so snuggly. I ate then went back to recover some more. The location is perfect. It really is in the centre of everything but the sound doesn't penetrate the room. Once I was inside I was in a wee cocoon. The owners were so lovely there was no pressure to leave as soon as possible. I honestly would recommend this place to anyone that has to stay in Durham. When my next friend gets married I already know where I will be staying!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for a great review - it was lovely to see you both. Look forward to see you soon.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here last weekend as was attending a wedding at durham castle. Due to traveling up on morning of wedding the owner was only too happy to let us check in before the wedding and was very welcoming and friendly showing us how to get around Durham and the easiest way to the castle.
The room was very comfortable and spacious and cannot grumble about the cooked breakfast we would definitely stop here again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Gemma O
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your kind response.
We are always happy to allow our guests to check in early, and try to ensure that their rooms are serviced first (after previouse guest vacates of course)
If guests intend to arrive outside normal check in times we require advance notice to ensure that a member of staff is on hand to greet them and give them their house keys.They are then free to drop off bags,use the room, if ready, and come and go at all times.
In good weather we also encourage guests and their friends to make use of our small garden during the day and evening before and after weddings, christenings, graduations etc. (we have heard many a champagne cork popping there over the years)
Thanks once again,