“Fabulous stay in a charming B and B.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durham
Castle View Guest House
Ranked #4 of 39 Durham B&B and Inns
england
“Fabulous stay in a charming B and B.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I spent one night at this establishment and really couldn't fault it. My single room was cosy and beautifully decorated, with everything I could have wished for. The en-suite was stylish and spotless. The breakfast was delicious and served in a delightful airy room. The service was friendly and attentive and the food itself was superb - I was even offered a fruit smoothy.
The only slight downside (and it wasn't an issue for me on this occasion) is the on-street parking. I parked easily and as I was leaving in the morning the voucher I was given lasted for the duration of my stay. At peak times (summer weekends) I should imagine parking could be tricky and work out expensive. However, I certainly wouldn't let it put me off returning - there are plenty of carparks nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Elaine99
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thanks for your mainly positive review however your purely speculative comments re the parking situation are just that - speculative and incorrect.
Although we are in the city centre we have several private parking spaces for exclusive use of our guests - which do not always get used as the street parking ( in cul-de-sac ) is not usually busy and is very convenient - guests can usually park right outside the front door.
Additionally we supply parking permits to all cars which enable guests to park in convenient restricted zones which are not available to local traffic.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Llanfyllin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

High quality guest house in a very central location. Easy access to the town centre, and a short walk from the railway station. Brilliant full English breakfast in the morning. I had a very peaceful and comfortable night sleep. Would definitely recommend, and use again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review us - we notice that you dropped us a point in the cleanliness section, would it be too much to ask if you could email us to let us know specifically what was the defect so that we can correct - we would very much appreciate it.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

So I have stayed at the Castle View twice before and this was my third time staying at this venue. When I came I got one of the renovated rooms. The rooms were lovely and cosy before but now they are so plush! I loved the bed, the pillows, the amazing bathroom, and the quiet tranquil nights sleep. The breakfast was the perfect cure for the post wedding hangover and the bed was so snuggly. I ate then went back to recover some more. The location is perfect. It really is in the centre of everything but the sound doesn't penetrate the room. Once I was inside I was in a wee cocoon. The owners were so lovely there was no pressure to leave as soon as possible. I honestly would recommend this place to anyone that has to stay in Durham. When my next friend gets married I already know where I will be staying!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for a great review - it was lovely to see you both. Look forward to see you soon.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here last weekend as was attending a wedding at durham castle. Due to traveling up on morning of wedding the owner was only too happy to let us check in before the wedding and was very welcoming and friendly showing us how to get around Durham and the easiest way to the castle.
The room was very comfortable and spacious and cannot grumble about the cooked breakfast we would definitely stop here again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Gemma O
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your kind response.
We are always happy to allow our guests to check in early, and try to ensure that their rooms are serviced first (after previouse guest vacates of course)
If guests intend to arrive outside normal check in times we require advance notice to ensure that a member of staff is on hand to greet them and give them their house keys.They are then free to drop off bags,use the room, if ready, and come and go at all times.
In good weather we also encourage guests and their friends to make use of our small garden during the day and evening before and after weddings, christenings, graduations etc. (we have heard many a champagne cork popping there over the years)
Thanks once again,
Westlake, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

With a daughter attending Durham University it is great to have the Castleview as an option. The location is fantastic and Anne knows how to run a B&B. We had an unexpected stay this time and Anne responded by having a room immediately. The location is great, breakfast is fantastic and the beds are sooooo comfortable. Absolute best night sleep on this Euro trip.
We'll be back - Rick & Becky

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. Pretty quiet for a B&B, beautiful courtyard for breakfas...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you Rick and Becky - glad we had a room at short notice.
Nice to think you are appreciated, the staff and myself look forward to your next visit.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

great stay at this up market house, every thing you need in a thoroghly modern setting and location.
Thanks also for the run up to the station I would definatly have lost my train Ooops!
Coming again in about a month..

Room Tip: Book early I got a cancelation
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Yes you naughty boy! - new alarm clock needed - ha ha look forward to seeing you again next month.
Geneva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

We recently visited the Durham Cathedral and Castle, A UNESCO site and stayed here overnight. We were very pleased with the location (10/15 minutes walk to the Cathedral), the accommodation which was commodious, very clean and comfortable and the helpful hostess Ms Williams. Excellent breakfast as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
MJ_Williams864444, Owner at Castle View Guest House, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT REVIEW.
We enjoyed having you and look forward to your next visit.