“Excellent value and nice room”

Bannatyne Hotel Durham
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Hertfordshire, England
“Excellent value and nice room”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This was an excellent value hotel with nice rooms and a friendly receptionist. Plenty of parking and convenient for Durham (assuming you have a car). Only slight nehatiVe was the breakfast in the neighbouring fitness centre. It was ok but just a slight anticlimax compared to the hotel itself. Note that you have to pay separately for the breakfast at the fitness centre - you can't add it to your hotel bill.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear tenore319,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel further to your recent stay.

I am really pleased to read that you found the Hotel “excellent value and that you had a nice room.

I look forward to you visiting again soon.

Resort Manager – Durham Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Helpful friendly staff at hotel and health club. Room was large and clean. Nice and quiet (noisy road but fine if you keep the windows shut). The beds were very soft, which isn't good for me. However, there is a sofa in the room which is nice and firm so I slept on that and had a good night's sleep. Used the health club every day we were there - small pool but good sauna and steam room, gym very well equipped. Ate at the health club a couple of times - not a huge choice of food but cheap, hot and tasty. Doubt we will be visiting Durham again but if we do we will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear bibblyb,

Thank you for your comment in relation to your stay at Bannatyne Hotel, Durham.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed both the Hotel and Health Club's facilities and that you found your stay to be “ Great “.

I do hope that you choose to visit Durham again soon and would hope that you stay with us again.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel as we were looking for somewhere to meet up with family in Durham. I was impressed from the moment I walked into the hotel when I was treated by a receptionist with such a lovely welcoming manor that wouldn't have been out of place in a 5 star hotel. Our room was spotless and nicely decorated. The hotel itself is situated at the back of trading estate close to the A1, so not a top location, but it does a good job as a quality budget hotel and the staff are not at all low budget. We all enjoyed using the pool at the health club next door which was included in the price of our room, a lovely bonus.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NaughtyPP
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear NaughtyPP,

Thank you for posting such a positive review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I will have great pleasure in letting the rest of the team know that you felt really welcome and that the Hotel was spotlessly clean.

As you found the Hotel to be of a “ Really Great Find “ I do hope that you choose to use Bannatyne Hotel when visiting the Durham area in the future.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I dont normally write reviews but was so impressed with this hotel I felt the need to let everyone know. We were 2 couples staying for a birthday celebration and paid £50 per couple. The room was spotless the bed was huge the shower was very powerful and hot the location was great for our night out in Durham there is a bus stop outside and a taxi costs about £6. Was impressed that we cud use allof the facilities at the health club whilst staying in the hotel would definitely recommend and return

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank mimi900
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear mimi900,

Thank you for posting a lovely review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I also find it very pleasing to read that Hotel guests are also enjoying the complimentary use of the Health Club's facilities.

It was great that your rooms were spotlessly clean and that the Hotel was ideally placed for you.

Thank you for recommending the Hotel to others and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

A nice hotel which is very clean but nothing to write home about.

The location is very remote and pretty much on an industrial estate.

Smokers have to leave the building and even leave the grounds of the hotel to smoke, so you are made to feel like a leppor stood on the main road smoking.

The food is boring and mainly consists of toast.

Will not be visiting again, no chance!

Room Tip: Any they are all standard,
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelReviews4U
Dear FoodReviews4U,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your recent stay.

I am sorry to read that you did not find the Hotel 'special' as most other guests do. We do have a specific policy of no smoking in the hotel for the comfort of all guests.

The Hotel is situated on the Resort grounds including the Health Club which is only a short distance from the City Centre and is not based on or near to an industrial estate.

I believe the Hotel offers great value prices for great value accommodation so I am sorry if we failed you in your view of a special hotel.

Food is served in the Health Clubs Café Bar and we offer an extensive range of freshly prepared meals which both regular guests and Health Club members enjoy. Foods such as Chicken Pasta Alfredo, Chicken Tikka Masala and Oriental Style Char Sui Pork are not served with toast as you have stated.

I do hope that you try us again whilst visiting Durham in the future.

Regards

Bannatyne Resort-Durham Resort.
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Rooms clean and big, friendly staff. We were surprised with the amenities and size of the room for the price we paid for the rooms. There was 4 of us as we were dropping off my friends daughter at Durham Uni and we could still fit comfortably with the sofa bed opened. We had a car so moving around was not an issue. Close enough to Durham city center.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear hcsaw,

I am delighted to read that you found that the staff were friendly and that you were very much enjoyed the amenities on offer.

When visiting Durham in the future I do hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We checked in on Friday 20th September 2013. I was impressed with the facilities but unfortunately not so with the reception staff following a loss of water in the area as a result of a burst main.
I went down to reception at 0730 to report no water in our room and was told the whole area was effected. With no washing facilities in the room I asked about the Health Club to be told it was also out and that there was a chance there would be no breakfast neither. I asked about bottled water to be told there was none. I bought the last bottle from the machine in reception - the staff member opened the machine and took my £1.
We decided ourselves to see if breakfast at least was available to be told by Health Club staff they had always had water because of a reserve tank. We could have had a shower but by the time we had breakfast which was slow to be served it was too late as we had a bus to catch.
When we arrived back later we saw there was indeed bottled water behind reception but this had not been arranged until after we had left for the day.
When it was evident that the water would not be back on by breakfast ALL guests should have been informed of this and told about wash facilities being available in the Health Suite. I feel for the poor cleaners who had to flush all the used toilets on their morning rounds

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael L
Dear Michael L

Thank you for posting your review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

Unfortunately on Friday 19th September the Hotel was affected by a local burst water main and we were unable to offer running water until lunch time the next day. This result was beyond our control but I am sorry if this effected your stay. As a result of the incident the Night Porter was instructed to offer bottled water to all residents that required it. The Resorts Health Club was available for washing and showering the next morning from 8am when it opened. Breakfast was served from this time also with no issues.

As you were initially impressed with the Resorts facilities when you checked-in I would hope that incident would not prevent you from choosing Bannatyne Hotel Durham when visiting the area in the future.