“great value stay”

Bannatyne Hotel Durham
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

great value hotel, nice size room very clean
has gym and pool onsite . Overall great value for money will stay again.
communal areas are a bit hostelish but the rooms are good better than holiday inn express or travelodge. It is away from the centre but even with taxi fares into centre it was cheaper than staying in centre hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Jj1066

Thank you for posting such a favorable review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I am very pleased to read that you thought that we offered great value for money and that you will be choosing to stay with us again.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Resort Manager - Durham Resort

Reviewed February 6, 2013

we stayed here overnight for a birthday treat, lovely clean hotel, very helpful staff, very comfortable bed, spacious room which was lovely and warm, fantastic leisure facilities, even though I forgot my trainers grrrrr, lovely little bar that serves food, nothing could be faulted with my stay, roll on june for our next stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hal82
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear hal82,

Thank you for taking the time to post a very positive review regarding your recent stay at the Hotel. I will pass these comments on to the relevant people as they will be pleased to hear they are doing a great job. I am also glad that you enjoyed the Café Bar facility at the Health Club.

I look forward to seeing you again in June on your next stay, when you will hopefully be able to use all the facilities on offer at the Health Club.

Resort Manager – Durham Resort

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We booked a couple of rooms here as part of a Christmas meal out with friends. We enjoyed the complimentary leisure facilities, though we felt they could have been cleaner. The hotel was reasonably clean, if a little tired in places (there was some damage to the wardrobe in our room and the carpets throughout the hotel had large bleach patches on them!).
We lacked a mattress protector, but our friends room had one. wide comfy beds, though they were very short (I'm 5'6 and was poking out the bottom!) we had a suspicious stain on the bed throw, maybe the hotel should look at offering clean ones to ever guest.
Generally we got what we paid for, for £55 for two of us plus free access to the gym, a stones throw from Durham, and you can't complain too much! Just a hint, we headed round the corner to the Premier Inn for breakfast, as the offerings at the leisure club looked unpleasant and expensive (The Premier Inn is a 5 min drive- but their price for a nights stay was £75 without the leisure facilties)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Grace_r_c
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Grace_r_c,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Durham Hotel.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the complimentary use of the Health Clubs Facilities.

Thank you for the comments regarding the Hotels facilities. I will certainly look into the issues you have raised.

The next time you stay please try the freshly cooked breakfast served in the Health Clubs Café Bar.

I hope you are able to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Small and functional room, lacking the luxury of things like a fridge but catering perfectly well for the average business traveler. The double bed consisted of two single beds pushed together which is never great but they were comfortable and the linen was crisp and white. There is a good sized desk area and plenty of mirrors including a full length one. Good sized flat screen television, hairdryer but no telephone in the room. The bathroom is very small but the shower was excellent and the towels fluffy.

We didn't take breakfast as we had to leave very early but it's in a separate building I believe.

The staff - Charlene on reception, and the night porter (sorry, don't know name) - were excellent, very friendly and helpful. There is free parking directly outside the hotel.

Negatives: rooms are small, done to a budget and noise wise the room doors do not provide a great deal of sound insulation. The extractor in the bathroom is noisy though it goes off after a while. Generally the hotel lacks character but then it is not expensive - a double room at £55 without breakfast. In summary it's probably a good choice for a business traveler on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Scubadoo 7,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at the Durham Hotel. I am pleased to read that you thought that we cater well for the average business traveler.

I will pass on your wonderful comments to both Charlene and the Night Porter as I am sure they will be more than happy to receive them.

I will look into your other comments as I am always trying to improve the service that we offer.

I do hope that you stay with us again.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here on New Year's eve because we were attending an evening event nearby. The staff were very friendly. Check-in was straight forward. Free phone to call a taxi. The hotel was clean. The room was more than adequate. The en-suite was a shower cubicle, wash basin and loo. There is a TV in the room and hot drink making facilities. Wifi is also free. To say we stayed on New Year's eve night, the price was only £55 for the night. A little bit on the downside for me, was that there isn't any where to buy anything to eat there and for breakfast/lunch we have to go to the gym - which is only across the car park. The breakfast was good and reasonably priced. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Wishtobeskinny,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham whilst visiting the area over the New Year.

I am very pleased to read that you found ‘check in’ was straight forward and that you found the Hotel was clean and very suitable for your needs.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Positives:
Complementary use of fitness centre next door to hotel - great for an early morning swim;
Excellent location - right next to the A1(M) motorway, but the noise from the road isn't intrusive in the bedrooms;
Very clean facilities - spotless bathroom and freshly laundered sheets every day;
Nice, powerful shower - great for waking up;
The temperature of the room can be controlled;
Good range of channels on television with remote control in room rather than on request from reception;
Friendly receptionist - very keen to help and willing to supply extra pillows when I asked for them;
Negatives:
There was a cock-up over the room when we arrived - someone else's stuff was already in the room we had been allocated. Fortunately the hotel was not fully booked so we were given another room - not sure what would have happened otherwise;
Breakfast was not included in the price - we knew this when we booked, of course, but it would have been a nice touch to have breakfast in with the cost of the room;
The "double" bed is actually two smaller beds pushed together, so lying in the middle of the bed was quite uncomfortable;
The duvet was not big enough for the bed - the bed was very wide, probably the equivalent of king size, but the duvet seemed to be a standard size;
The carpets in the corridors were very stained - not very important, but it gives the place a feeling of being a little run-down.

Room Tip: Probably better to have a room facing away from the motorway, but we had a room overlooking the moto...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Chuffalo,

Thank you for posting a favourable review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

It is very pleasing to read your positive comments about the various facilities that are on offer at both the Bannatyne Hotel and Health Club. I will pass on to the reception team that you found them very friendly.

I also appreciate your comment about the corridor carpet, this is currently under review.

If you are staying in the Durham area again I hope that you chose to stay with us.

Matthew Emery
Resort Manager – Bannatyne Resort.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a budget hotel, the rooms are all the same and the decor was designed in an office and I am sure is identical in every branch of the chain. However, it is a really really nice place to stay. The Staff are friendly and helpful (the receptionists go that extra bit further to make you welcome). The health club and spa is a joy and what makes it so much better (along with the staff) than the similarly priced Premier Inn down the road. Given you can walk in less than five minutes to the Premier Inn so if you really want pub grub you can buy it there why would you not use this hotel? Its clean, the health club is great with pool etc, the restaurant in the Health Club has a somewhat limited menu and by the end of my week stay I was getting a bit bored, but then its a cafe bar in a health club so you would not expect more.

Everything about my stay was great, and I will be returning between Xmas and New Year. This time I may have my kids staying with me for a night and when I rang to check if that was ok the staff were friendly and helpful suggesting ways to accomodate them. I can't fault this hotel at all. The only major gripe is that the Bannatyne's website never seems to have availability, so just use Expedia/lastminute etc, had I known that I'd have been staying here about two years before I actually did.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JacksonFernandes
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear JacksonFernandes,

Thank you for your very positive review about your stay in the Durham Hotel and I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the full range of facilities on offer, including complimentary use of the Health Club.

I have discussed your comments about the "availability" showing on our website booking page with the Company IT department as we are always looking to make improvements where we can.

I hope you enjoy your next stay when you are back at the Hotel.

Kind regards