“Not good value, unless you like gyms...”

Bannatyne Hotel Durham
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I paid £45 per night, so perhaps I shouldn't have expected too much...and I certainly didn't get it! No fridge, no safe, no toiletries, no telephone, no room service. No lounge for guests, only a few chairs and some vending machines in Reception. It feels like an airport transit lounge! Yes, there was a kingsize bed but the duvet was so thin that I was cold even after asking for a second duvet to put on top. The brown velvet 'throw' was simply for decoration not a blanket! The room was heated by a switch-on electric heater. The carpet was filthy, the loo didn't flush properly, the sink didn't drain away well. The hotel was full, so changing rooms was not an option. There is plenty of parking, because the hotel is not in the centre, it's half an hour's walk away or a £6 taxi ride or local bus. The only local feature is a retail park. If you want breakfast, you have to walk across the car park to the fitness centre cafe, where apart from the cooked breakfast or baked beans, you can buy a 'porridge snack' in a plastic pot, toast with plastic packets of jam or a range of pre-packaged snacks - it's all pretty grim and over-priced. I had emailed to ask if we could check in at 12 rather than 3pm but nobody replied. The plus points for some guests are the fitness centre and pool, the easy access to the motorway and the free wi-fi. But for me the negative points far outweighed these few positives. It just felt sad and slightly shabby.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Twofootplus,

Thank you for your recent comments about the Durham hotel. As a Company we take all comments seriously to allow us to help improve the facility.

I am sorry that you feel the £45 you paid for your room did not offer you good value for money and it is disappointing that the room did not meet your expectations. We take customer service and cleanliness seriously and from the majority of other comments posted we have a strong reputation for delivering on these areas.

I also apologise that you did not receive a reply in relation to checking in early and I will discuss this with the appropriate employees. We are normally good at replying to all queries. I have also inspected the rooms and taken appropriate action where required to ensure they all meet our high standards.

I hope you are able to stay with us again so that we can demonstrate improvements.
Kind regards

Colin MacGillivray

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We paid £50 for a double room on Friday night - it didn't include breakfast but this can be bought very cheaply at the health centre next door. We chose to go into Durham early for breakfast - the centre is only a mile away and cost us £6 in a taxi on the evening. The hotel receptionist was lovely - very friendly and helpful - and the hotel was clean with good tea/coffee making facilities. We had a diusabled room (although didn't book one) so had loads of room with a huge walk in shower. The use of the health centre was a real bonus - we could swim/sauna etc for free. All in all, not luxurious but great value and very friendly staff!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Helenh13Leeds

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am very happy to read that you thought that the Receptionist was very friendly and helpful and that you thought that the Hotel cleanliness was to a high standard. As you have pointed out all guests receive complimentary use of the Health Clubs facilities and we believe this offers fantastic added value.

On your next visit why not try the Health Clubs breakfast option which is also of great value.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Being a member of Bannatynes in my home town I decided to give this hotel a go. For £50 for a double room on a Friday night, I found this hotel to be good value for money.

Rooms are of a good size, very clean and have everything you need, king size bed, tea & coffee making facilities, flat screen plasma tv and en-suite bathroom with shower. You also get full use of the Bannatynes leisure club, which is straight across from the hotel and has a gym, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi etc.

Breakfast and dinner are available in the leisure club, but I cannot comment on these, as I ate in town for both.

Check in/out was the only things that bothered me. I wasn't asked how my stay was on departure, and the girl barely made eye contact with me (or other guests) and never cracked a smile on check in or check out.

It is worth noting that the hotel is a couple of miles out of the town centre, but is easy to reach by bus or taxi if you do not have your own car with you.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear SATreveller07

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel, Durham.

I will discuss your points regarding checking in and out with the receptionist concerned. I was very surprised to read this as we usually receive positive customer service reports from our guests regarding how helpful and friendly the reception team are.

If you stay with us again why not try a meal from our menu at the Health Club which offers great value for money.

I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here when taking our son to University. 2 rooms for £120 at a busy period was great value. The rooms were clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities, very good bathrooms, loads of parking and friendly reception staff.
Breakfast is available in the adjoining leisure centre. For a short stay where you are not wanting to walk into town or have beautiful views, it was very good value for money and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the car park side so that you are away from the A1. We had no traffic noise at all...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Beverley D712,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Bannatyne Hotel, during your recent visit to Durham and for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you thought the rooms were of great value, especially during a busy period and that you enjoyed a very good breakfast in the Health Club.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have just stayed at this hotel for one night with my wife, and were very impressed with the accomodation. The room was very clean and very well decorated. The bathroom and shower were superb. We enjoyed a very comfortable nights sleep with a lovely quality bed. We could have had access to the nearby leisure facility, which we visited but did not use. We were booked in by Angela who was very helpful and the other two girls were also very polite and accomodating. We travelled into Durham City by taxi (£6) or there was the Park and Ride for £2 return. We had a lovely night socialising in Durham City and never had any problems.
This hotel is superb value for money. We did not have breakfast but it can be purchased within the leisure facility if required.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 which is on the groundfloor at the end of the corridor and looks out onto the ma...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AYoung65
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear A Young 65

Thank you for posting your recent review and for the positive comments in regards to your stay. I will pass these comments onto the rest of the team.

I am very pleased to read that you thought the Hotel offered superb value for money. On your next visit why not try the complimentary use of the Health Clubs facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here recently for 2 nights when attending a wedding in Durham and to be honest I had never heard of Bannatyne Hotels before (only gyms) and was pleasantly surprised.
The room has everything we needed, comfy bed, lovely en suite shower room, flat screen TV with freeview channels, coffee & tea making facilities etc. My only critism is that the king size bed is 2 single beds secured together so where they join isn't very comfortable but this is just a minor thing.
The Health Club across the car park had everything we needed for a good workout in the gym followed by a swim & relax in the steam room & jacuzzi. Breakfast can be bought in the same building for approx £4 so is very reasonable.
We used the park & ride facilities to get into the city centre as we thought parking might be tricky. The Park & Ride is literally 5 min drive away from the hotel & costs £2 per person return for the day so is a great option to use if you want to visit the cathedral & castle like we did.
All in all had a great stay & I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank NaiomiMollie
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Naiomi Mollie,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham and for providing such positive feedback.

Your comments have been greatly received and I am very pleased to read that you were happy with both the Hotel and Health Club facilities

It is great to read that you used the City’s Park & Ride facility to visit the City Centre, Cathedral and Castle which was efficient.

Your warm comments have been greatly appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as group for a girly weekend. It was about 10 - 15 from Durham town centre.there is bus service round the corner that take you there and the taxi ride back was only about £8. Which was exactly as we expected. The staff were nice and friendly. Though did seem to be busy. So I would say be patient if there is a lot checking in. The rooms were nice basic but all we need was there. Our room was clean and was fine nut one of the other rooms did have a strange odour. We reported it to reception and they said the would sort it out. Breakfast at the health club was nice and pretty reasonable. We all used the facilities. I've used bannaytyne gyms before it was what I expected good equipment upto date and the pool and sauna were relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Debs D

Dear Debs D,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham and for providing such positive comments.

I am happy to read that you felt the Hotel catered for your needs and that you found the experience of combining your stay with using the Health Clubs facilities relaxing.

I will pass on your warm comments regarding our friendly and staff to the rest of the team.

Hope to see you and your party again soon.