This lovely hotel, which is not far from a glorious farm shop, but in a quiet secluded part of Durham is not perhaps your forelock tugging, totally modernised, spa having or over the top shiny type of hotel.
It is however, one with fantastic character. Beautiful rooms and a great atmosphere. Call me sad, but I booked in by myself, in a single room, to get a break, some peace and quiet.
My lovely single room was half price at £39 B&B. It was comfortable and wonderful, but I fancied a bath, so I asked the nice receptionist if she would swop, she couldn't do enough and even though there wasn't a room with a bath free, I felt she really went all out for me. My room (3)had tv, a lovely bathroom with shower, some soap and toiletries, tea/coffee making things - a bed with a lovely solid mattress (I HATE soft beds) and a window seat. I was gleeful.
After a little wander into the nearby village and an explore of the gorgeous garden, I went to the bar for dinner. I have never had food like that in my life! 4 massive king prawns with garlic and butter on bruschetta with rocket and dressing. I am drooling just thinking about it. Then I had a glorious rib eye steak with onion rings, mushrooms, tomatoes, salad and chips. The steak was melt in the mouth and so juicy. I asked for medium, just pink in the middle, no blood and that was exactly what I got - perfect!! The next morning, my breakfast was fantastic, tea and orange juice, scrambled egg, sausage, beans, hash browns, tomato, mushrooms, toast, I could have had bacon, bagels, a roll, yogurt, cereal. You name it, it was there.
The staff were lovely and if I didn't want to speak to anyone, you can see they picked up on it and let me be. I will return again with my husband for an overnight stay or two. I will rave about this hotel to anyone who will listen.
If you only go for a meal, you will be doing yourself a massive favour!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hallgarth Manor is a traditional English country house hotel situated just 3 miles from the historic city of Durham in the northeast of England. This former 16th-century estate, set in spectacular grounds and gardens, has been discreetly modernised to retain many of its original features. Noted for the excellence of its food, the comfort of its accommodation and the quality of its many facilities, Hallgarth Manor is a real favourite for customers looking for conferences, business meetings, wedding celebrations and leisure breaks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Hallgarth Manor Country Hotel & restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hallgarth Manor Country Hotel And Restaurant
- Hallgarth Manor Country Durham