“A little bit of heaven”

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Durham
South Shields, England
“A little bit of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This lovely hotel, which is not far from a glorious farm shop, but in a quiet secluded part of Durham is not perhaps your forelock tugging, totally modernised, spa having or over the top shiny type of hotel.

It is however, one with fantastic character. Beautiful rooms and a great atmosphere. Call me sad, but I booked in by myself, in a single room, to get a break, some peace and quiet.

My lovely single room was half price at £39 B&B. It was comfortable and wonderful, but I fancied a bath, so I asked the nice receptionist if she would swop, she couldn't do enough and even though there wasn't a room with a bath free, I felt she really went all out for me. My room (3)had tv, a lovely bathroom with shower, some soap and toiletries, tea/coffee making things - a bed with a lovely solid mattress (I HATE soft beds) and a window seat. I was gleeful.

After a little wander into the nearby village and an explore of the gorgeous garden, I went to the bar for dinner. I have never had food like that in my life! 4 massive king prawns with garlic and butter on bruschetta with rocket and dressing. I am drooling just thinking about it. Then I had a glorious rib eye steak with onion rings, mushrooms, tomatoes, salad and chips. The steak was melt in the mouth and so juicy. I asked for medium, just pink in the middle, no blood and that was exactly what I got - perfect!! The next morning, my breakfast was fantastic, tea and orange juice, scrambled egg, sausage, beans, hash browns, tomato, mushrooms, toast, I could have had bacon, bagels, a roll, yogurt, cereal. You name it, it was there.

The staff were lovely and if I didn't want to speak to anyone, you can see they picked up on it and let me be. I will return again with my husband for an overnight stay or two. I will rave about this hotel to anyone who will listen.

If you only go for a meal, you will be doing yourself a massive favour!

Room Tip: Ask the staff when you ring, if you want a bath as opposed to a shower and don't be frightened t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Seafret1412

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for one night b and b while visiting our daughter at Durham University. The hotel is in a pleasant rural spot 4 miles from the city centre. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the public rooms very well appointed. Our bedroom was a little dated and the furniture a bit shabby but it was comfortable and the ensuite was fine.The breakfast was superb and overall we felt it was very good value. It was also very quiet at night but the hotel does do weddings and occasional disco nights so its worth checking when you book if this would disturb you.

Room Tip: Check if there is a function on!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I booked into the hotel with my wife for a three course meal, bed & breakfast for £55 each. The meal was very good & service was excellent, the room was a little dated but very clean & the breakfast couldn't be faulted. I found this to be excellent value for money

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
tyne and wear
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just came today from a 1 night stay at hallgarth manor me and my partner book the valentines special of dinner bed and breakfast for £110 which I think is a very good deal we received a very warm welcome from the reception staff all very friendly, very happy with the room bed was realy comfy but the furniture needs an update every think had a squeak to it wardrobe and draws but overall decent enough the meal we had was realy nice the resultant had beautifully layed out tables and the staff where realy helpfull topping up the wine when empty and there when you needed them very prompt with the food the only thing I didn't like was they don't take money from you all the drinks where charged to your room and u had to pay the next day I didn't wanna spend 2 much on wine coz I panicked case u ran out if money even tho I took enough with us felt sorry for some of the staff finished 11pm back again the next day for 7am poor things but all in all good stay would defo go bk

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank jo535
Laughton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Revisited and the reception remembered us from last visit. They upgraded our room for free. We had a superb meal, even though in a large group.

Staff are some of the friendliest we have experienced, very efficient too.

Already booked again for April, would absolutely recommend this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank LaughtonFamily
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We attended a family wedding here in November 2012, and booked a room as a treat. This proved to be a great idea, as we relaxed in the beautiful surroundings without the worry of getting home later. The whole package was stunning, the rooms were warm and clean, the staff, and Christine in particular made us feel very special and the food was enjoyed by even the youngest and fussiest guests.We will definitely return for a meal in the carvery and will recommend the venue to friends who are planning weddings in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the gardens at the rear are tranquil and very relaxing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Caroline L
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I attended a wedding here and had a wonderful day, the following day we walked around Durham City Centre which i must say is amazing. This hotel is perfect for any wedding venue and i will be returning with my partner. The Hotel itself is beautiful, my room overlooked the gardens at the back of the hotel which are very well maintained. I had the most fantistic day with everyone on our table commenting on how good the food was and how lovely the staff were whom were all extremely friendly and attentive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family