Farnley Tower
$96
Hotels.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The Honest Lawyer Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
$55
$53
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
$96
$93
The Royal Oak(Durham)(Great Value!)
$61
$59
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
$78
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
$67
$60
Priceline
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
$53
Travelodge
$139
All reviewsvictorian buildingold victoriannursing homecity centrepleasant roomfirst morningbit datedlarge roomlast minute bookingcooked breakfastpoached eggsfull englishthe ground floorcomfortable bedsdurham cathedralno liftreception area
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We booked this 'Hotel' for 3 nights, me and my husband had rm5 which is a twin room. It was spacious, but the TV was tiny, and the beds were old, cheap and very uncomfortable. The ensuite was nice but it was not clean, the bath had a grimy ring around it, I had to clean the bath and sink before we could use them, in fact the whole stay, the bathroom was never cleaned. I asked for 2 extra pillows, which were handed to me minus the pillowcases, and they were grubby. Needless to say we headed for the nearest department store and bought our own pillows for the length of our stay. We were expecting this place to live up to its 4 star rating, we thought we would at least have a clean and comfortable room. Wrong! The only thing 4 star about it is its outward appearance. I certainly would never reccommend this place unless it seriously upgraded its level of accommodations.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

My boyfriend booked 2 nights for us here for my suprise birthday present. I am sorry to say that the hotel did not live up to the standard in which it presents itself.

When we arrived on the Friday evening we were not greeted by anyone. Our key was left on the table and we were not shown to our room. I have never had this before.

The towels were stained and the whole of the room was certainly not as clean as you would want it to be. When we arrived back at our room on the Saturday afternoon the towels had gone. My boyfriend went to ask for more. After waiting for over 5 minutes the manager stated that they were still in the dryer and did give us a couple but had no apology.

The room was said to be a 'superior' room. The only thing that was 'superior' was the size. It was a large room but that was the only positive. The floorboards creaked on every step, thus you could here people moving above you.

On the plus, the location wasn't bad. Although if you struggle with walking up and down hills that may be another problem.

The breakfast was ok. It certainly wasn't service with a smile though and the sausages were really poor to say that they pride themselves on great produce. As the food on a morning and the service was not friendly we opted against eating in the restaurant.

I think it is clear to say that I was not impressed with this hotel and would strongly advise you to stay away. For the price there are many more hotels which are better than this one. We have both stayed at a variety of star hotels and this should be rated a 2 star not a 4 star.

1  Thank kacca
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I had booked a two night stay at Farnley Tower for my girlfriend's birthday. We arrived on the Firday night, parked the car no problem and went to reception. Rather than being greated by a member of staff, as is usual for any hotel, our key and registration form was laid out with no instructions. We assumed that we had to fill it in and let ourselves in. An odd start to be honest! The room we had was very big, and the bed was comfortable. But the windows needed a clean, and the frames looked a tired. The bathroom wasn't excessively clean either. Plus, the towels provided were stained and a little frayed: not really the luxury that you are after.

We finally bumped into a member of staff an hour or so later who managed to greet us, but not in an excessively personal way.

The breakfast was quite good on the Saturday. Good tomatoes and bacon. But the scrambled eggs were lacking in flavour, and the sausages were more bread than meat! Is this really an establishment that is pushing for a Michelin Star for the resturant? I wouldn't have gone to the restaurant based on the Breakfast's performance.

After a day out around Durham, we went back to the room to wash and change to find that our towels had been taken when the room was cleaned (and the sheets had not been replaced, as does happen in most hotels) and no new towels were given out. I went down to the person-less reception and rang the bell. I waited for about 10 minutes for someone to see me. I was told that the towels were still being cleaned! I was given two small towels and a large bath towel, but with no apology!

Breakfast the following day was better, but I didn't bother with the sausage, and had poached eggs instead, but the service in the breakfast room was a little impersonal.

Overall, I think Farnley Tower is hiding behind the four star rating and really should be reassessed. The service is lazy and the fixtures and fittings need a major overhaul for it to compete with other four star hotels.

2  Thank billy_mac_Manchester
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Spent four nights in a very pleasant room, quite spacious and with a view of the garden. We ate in the Gourmet Spot restaurant on the first night, Friday. Food was very tasty but no good if you're really hungry.
On returning to room on the Saturday around 5 found the bathroom had not been cleaned, no new loo roll, sink grubby. We were put out but so tired after a day in beautiful Durham we didn't complain. However after returning on the Sunday and finding no towels, and bathroom even grubbier by now we complained. Manager came and said towels were in tumble drier and came along to clean bathroom himself. He didn't explain why it hadn't been done for two days. It was all a bit embarrassing. However the positives are that the room was good, the hotel is convenient for city centre. It is up a hill but is manageable. The breakfast was very good and the staff were very pleasant. On the walk into Durham or on the way back there is a little old fashioned pub called the Coal Pit Hotel. Well worth a visit. Sit in the snug around a lovely fire. Would consider staying again because of the positives.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2010

We stayed for two nights over a weekend. Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious and we slept well both nights in peaceful surroundings. Breakfast was excellent, well cooked and served cheerfully. There are many steep hills in Durham and the hotel is located near the top of one of them, but if you walk anywhere in the city you are never going to be on the flat. All in all, a good place to stay at a reasonable rate.

However, on the first night we ate in the hotel restaurant. We thought it was pretentious, the food didn’t really justify the effort that had obviously gone into preparing it, the wine list expensive (only one Rosé at £34,), service relatively amateurish and the whole experience by no means justified the bill of almost £50 each.

We would certainly stay in the hotel again, but would avoid the underwhelming restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business