“A room in the heavens”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Manchestter, Englaned
“A room in the heavens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is our second visit to a university residence (the first being Wadham College, Oxford), and again we were not disappointed. We had a room 126 steps up, so remember to ask for one on a lower level if you cant climb all those stairs. The views were great, cathedral on one side and the quad on the other. Breakfast in the dining room (very Harry Potterish) was more than adequate. All in all a great experience. If you are staying in Durham outside of term time, I would recommend this as a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are not fit, ask for a room on a low level.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just came back from my 2-night stay in Durham Castle. It's a special experience to stay in a castle and be surrounded by the historic atmosphere. Ticked one thing off my bucket list. Arrived just in time before a castle tour started so I got to hear the stories and history of the castle. The places are fascinating. Here are some highlights of my experience:

Pros:
1. Very helpful and polite receptionist. He was very eager to help, even carried my super heavy luggage up all 108 steps to my room! Made me feel really welcomed. 100% full mark for hospitality and service.
2. Adequate heating. I felt warm in my room. And a bit surprised to discover heating seems to be on 24 hours. Maybe this is necessary to keep the draughty castle warm.
3. Nice setting. Every time I looked out of the window, I am reminded of the long history of this castle. Very nice atmosphere.
4. Quiet - I asked for a quiet room and got it. Quite pleased. When I walked around, I noticed many rooms have a space between them and an outer door, so noise from the staircase and corridor was kept away.
5. Nice big desk. Very handy if you need to work on your lap top. Adequate lighting too. The room light is white, not yellow.
6. Very good location. It's not far to walk to the main attractions. The cathedral bus that runs between the train station and cathedral is very convenient.

Cons
1. The bed is uncomfortable. Being student accommodation, one can expect this. But I kept waking up a few times on both nights. The mattress made my back ached the next day. Sleep quality is not too good despite the quiet setting.
2. Many stairs to climb. 108 steps to my room but I don't really mind that. I would not recommend this place if you are not fit for climbing stairs.
3. Tables are not set up properly for breakfast. On both mornings, half of the Great Hall was empty. There were only 3 large tables set up for breakfast. With the other 3 or 4 set up for other grand meals later. So the setting for breakfast was very odd.
4. Food ran out fast at breakfast. And there did not seem to be a refill. I was lucky to have things I wanted because I came down earlier than some other guests.

All in all, an enjoyable stay and I would stay again if I need to visit Durham again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Just spent one night in the Bishops Suite at Durham Castle with my wife,the rooms were magnificent and the view from our windows looking down on the city were breathtaking especially at night we both felt like royalty,the 264 year old bed was very comfortable and we both slept like logs,and having our breakfast in the great hall was a wonderful experience,the food was excellent with a vast selection to choose from,all the staff were very friendly and helpful from the people on reception the breakfast staff and the porter,just round the corner from the castle there are lots of restaurants to choose from,we chose a lovely little Italian restaurant named Zizzi to have our evening meal,the food was great the atmosphere wonderful and the staff very friendly and helpful,on the day of our departure we visited the botanic gardens which were splendid then paid a visit to the oriental museum which was very interesting and enjoyable,our only regret was that we only stayed for one night,we will return to Durham Castle again only on our next visit we will stay longer.

Room Tip: The Bishops suite is magnificent a must is to have a long soak in the wonderful bath in the atmosphe...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hereford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

A marvellous concert venue as well as having accommodation. I didn't stay this time bur I did attend a concert. Bach's St John's Passion was glorious. The parts of Christ and the Evangelist were sung by internationally renowned performers.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank gayrobot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

This site has a hugely significant place in history which we wouldn't have fully appreciated without the guided tour.
The tour guide was very knowledgeable and made our visit both interesting and humorous. Thanks Josh!
Great value too.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank krollo1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I loved the very informative guide of this Castle! It was interesting and intriguing! Our guide was so passionate about the history and the stories that the Castle held and I was enthralled ! A truly memorable experience well with the money!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank suztayz
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I'm genuinely surprised by the outstanding ratings given here. Yes the accommodation is in a castle but that doesn't mean arrogant amateurism should prevail. Paying guests expect service and a quality product. The breakfast does not match up to this basic expectation being just what is was - semi-warm student fare served a la 1970's motorway service station. The bar also closed one night without prior warning which contradicted the advice given in the literature. Not even the porter knew why is was closed!

There were however some positives. The receptionist was warm and friendly, the rooms were comfortable and the free guided tour excellent. Of course the attraction here is all about location, location, location and the castle doesn't fail to deliver. Palace Green is a gem equaling Salisbury Cathedral and the surrounding area including the riverside walks outstanding.

I bet you can't drive there directly without getting lost at least once!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family