“A unique experience with clean rooms and plentyful breakfast”
Review of Durham Castle

Durham Castle
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Staying in Durham castle is definitely a unique experience and the views are fantastic. Situated right in the heart of Durham, this is the perfect place to explore the city. During term time this place is a student hall of residence, but when the students go home, it becomes a B&B. Rooms are of a decent size and clean. Shampoo, shower gel, towels, kettle, coffee, tea and a hairdryer are provided, but there's no TV or internet available - it is after all a castle!
Rooms can be booked as en-suite or with shared bathrooms across the hall. En-suite bathrooms are basically wet rooms as you would find in a camper van, but they are clean and a decent size. The communal toilets and shower rooms are very modern and clean.
Breakfast is served in the "Great Hall", which is an experience in itself and the buffet is plentyful (however, on our second morning there was no hot food due to some problem in the kitchen).
There were some drawbacks to staying at the castle though: My room did not have any heating (the radiator was on, but never warm) and was therefore quite cold. Furthermore, as this is a real life castle, sound carries from everywhere, so doors bang regularly and anyone standing in the hallway talking to someone will be heard quite clearly in all surrounding rooms.
People with disabilities affecting their ability to walk should either stay away from this place or make sure they specify their requirements in their booking, because there are no lifts and getting to most rooms involves climbing up and down a number of stairs (mine was 83 stairs from reception).

Room Tip: All the rooms have amazing views, but you can think about whether you would like to look out over th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Jana W

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Wow what a place to stay, it beats your general hotel. It is actually the castle and the room was very pleasant. We stayed over looking the gate house and beyond that was the cathedral. It's run by the university of Durham and the staff are very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great too, with a choice from full English to a continental or fruits and yoghurts. The breakfast was served in a huge dining hall with all the paintings and armoury.
Just made me feel like I was a king for a night.
P.s. you might want to turn the heat down in the rooms as the heating system works very well.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tony D
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I really enjoyed our one night's stay despite the 108 steps up to our room in the Keep. (it's a castle what do you expect). The views over the city and green were well worth the climb. This is student accomodation in term time (lucky students). We had a twin room which was comfortable, quiet, cosy and warm with an ensuite wet room. It was all spotlessly clean. The coffee and tea tray was well stocked with Fairtrade products. Breakfast was in the main hall and is self-service with a huge variety of cereals, pastries, breads and cooked foods - lovely. The staff in Porters lodge and reception were very helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: You can usually opt for rooms closer to the ground, but most of the castle was taken by guests for a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Amazing, breath-taking, fantastic... and comfortable! I stayed in a single with shared bathroom. The room was larger than I was expecting, and had a sink, desk, and armchair. It was very clean and comfortable, and quiet, and I had a view of the cathedral through the window. The shared facilities were clean and well maintained, as you would expect in a place that serves as University accomodation throughout the term.

My room was in the keep, and up several flights of stairs, which only added to the Hogwarts-esk experience for me. However I would advise anyone who has mobility issues to check with the castle staff before hand about a ground floor or first floor room if available.

Breakfast was served in the Great Hall, again very Hogwarts. The food was great - plentiful, fresh, hot, and the filter coffee was fantastic.

The staff at the Castle were very helpful, even offering to carry my bag for me. I was able to park on the Palace Green outside the castle, which solved any transportation issues I might otherwise have had. The only negative to the entire stay was I was unable to contact staff for directions to the Castle as the number I had been provided was for Events Durham and not the Castle itself; however this was more a reflection on the website I booked through rather than the castle itself.

I highly recommend doing a Castle Tour (free with your accomodation) as the guide was very knowledgable on the Castle and its history, and took me to places I hadn't seen during my overnight stay. The Castle itself is spectacular, particularly when lit-up over night.

All in all, it was a fabulous stay, and I would highly recommend it... even if you are not a Potter fan! My only regret is that I only booked one night. Word to the wise - make sure you check dates as the Castle is only open to B&B guests outside of term-time.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, I advise ringing the Castle to see if they have any ground-floor or fir...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Roslyn C
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A fantastic place to stay! I stayed in a budget single with shared facilities - the room was clean and comfortable, and the shared bathroom facilities were huge and modern (amazing water pressure in the showers). The place is still very much a castle - huge wooden doors, stone hallways, and high ceilings. Breakfast in the great hall is fantastic, and being able to wander around the courtyard before it's open to the public feels very special. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Guests staying at the castle are entitled to a free guided tour as well.

It's a perfect base to explore the town - the spectacular Durham Cathedral is right outside your door, and it's a short downhill walk into the town centre.

Room Tip: Be sure to mention when booking if you have any mobility issues, as there are a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank PropMonkey
Reviewed January 24, 2013

As residents of the city, we have always wanted to stay in the Castle since moving here some years ago and we are so pleased that we finally did it!! We had a wonderful, one night stay in the Bishops Suite. Although the room is large with high ceilings and decorated with tapestries and antique furniture, it was very cosy, comfortable and had modern facilities. It's alternative accommodation and not like a regular hotel as it doesn't have 24 hour reception (although the porter in the Gatehouse is on hand if need be), there is no room service or evening meals and there was no literature on Durham (which obviously didn't bother us!). This, we felt only added to the experience as you can get that service in any other hotel. We arrived just after dark and we wandered around the Castle and it's corridors which was very eerie but magical! The students were not in residence so there were only 4 rooms in the whole Castle which were occupied. Once again, adding to the experience. Breakfast served in the Great Hall rounded off a perfect weekend. I would throughly recommend staying here and have done so to our neighbours!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dora007
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This place is well worth a stay, admittedly no TV, iffy mobile phone reception, no wireless internet and no minibar but do you really need these in such surroundings. The room was clean and comfortable, staff friendly and helpful, breakfasts as substantial as you want. I only had an ordinary room, possibly the higher cost and quality rooms offer much better accommodation but for location, proximity to the cathedral and in the heart of the city, you will struggle to find somewhere better.
PS You will need to be able to climb stairs as many of the rooms are only accessible with a climb.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo