“Great Hotel, Great Staff, Great Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
South Yorkshire
“Great Hotel, Great Staff, Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

My husband booked for us to stay in The Honest Lawyer as a surprise birthday weekend away. We arrived early but were greeted by a friendly recceptionist who upgraded our room for no extra cost.
The room was modern, spacious with all the facilities you need.
We ate a delicious lunch in the hotel bar that first afternoon before heading in to Durham City Centre to have a look around. The hotel is ideally situated for ease of access to all tourist attractions.
We ate both evenings in the hotal restaurant sampling 4 dishes from the menu and would highly recommend the food served.
After 2 nights stay here we would definately recommend the hotel to anyone visiting the area.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
Dear xx54jen

Thanks for all your fantastic comments and I'm overjoyed that you had a wonderful Birthday surprise. I will pass all your comments to the relevant departments which is a constant source of motivation for us all. If you are visiting our region in the near future, I would like to offer you a complimentary bottle of wine when dining with ourselves again. As unfortunately on your first visit we did not go that extra mile and celebrate your birthday with a small gesture from our team. If you would like to place a reservation in the near future please contact myself direct and I will personally oversee your reservation.

Chris Bowron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

Stayed with my daughter while visiting Durham.
Location ideal for the Uni.....don't be put off by the slight US motel chalet style approach - the rooms were recently refurbished and were spotless in addition to being very well appointed. Decor excellent and the 42 inch TV helped when feeling a little lazy in addition to the free WiFi.
The hotel restaurant was superb. Steak cooked to perfection...service from the restaurant and the bar staff was excellent. They could not have been more efficient or helpful. In fact throughout our stay....all of the personnel...were terrific. I could not fault the place. Will definately stay there again if we are in the area. Nice place and nice people.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dear Maeve_302

It's a great pleasure to read your very warming and positive comments regarding our hotel. I think your comments really sum up what we are trying very hard to achieve since opening the business 3 months ago. Very modern yet relaxed surrounding, great locally sourced food, and last but not least the staff members that aim to go above and beyond to make your visit a pleasurable one. I will pass these comments to all departments which is a constant motivation for us. It would be our pleasure, to welcome you back in the not too distant future when visiting your daughter at University. On your next visit please introduce yourself and I can thank you personally for your kind words.

Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

The room at the front of the hotel was subject to some road noise, but it was clean, comfortable and well presented. The dining room staff were friendly and helpful and the food was very good.

Dear IanMac8

Thanks for your positive comments regarding the clean, comfortable and well presented rooms within our hotel. And your excellent comments regarding our food and staff this is constant source of motivation to us all. I will pass your comments down to all the staff and is greatly appreciated. We will look forward to you returning the hotel in the near future.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

I was staying here alone and so I really appreciated the friendly, helpful staff and I felt quite relaxed about eating alone at breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable and it was great being able to park directly outside. The only problem I had was that my room phone didn't work which meant walking over to reception when I wanted anything. Fortunately the weather was good so it wasn't inconvenient.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Dear durham80

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the warm and friendly welcome you received on your recent visit to our hotel. We do get a number of guests that stay on a regular basis away on business, and from my point of view we try and make it a home from home with a relaxed yet professional approach for all. The issue you have raised has since been rectified by our engineers, I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay. Yet again, without positive and constructive feedback we would not be able to deliver and exceed our guests expectations. On returning to the hotel please ask for myself as I would like to thank you personally for your comments.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed in the main hotel in a four poster room and found the staff friendly, hotel clean and of a high standard - we dined in the hotel in the evening - food of a good standard for price - laid back pleasant atmosphere. A wide variety of breakfast with great service.
Best of all was the super comfortable mattress - wish every hotel had one like it - in fact I wish I had one!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Dear bobbie90

Thanks for all your positive comments regardinf the quality of food, service and bedrooms this is constant source of motivation to us all and I will pass these comments down to all relevant departments. We will look forward to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

This place was a little difficult to find. We tried calling the hotel to find out where it was but there was no answer even after ringing for several times. Using the zip code (no address was given in the confirmation notification) the GPS showed we'd arrived when in the middle of a field. We eventually found it, just around the corner over a bridge. Arriving, we found no one at the front desk - the bartender was doing double duty and there was a party going on which explains why he did not hear the phone ringing. Rooms were fine, although other guests set off fire works sometime after midnight and woke us up. If you want quiet, ask for it or you may end up close to the bar area. Staff in the morning were good and very helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Dear MDavisAB,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our rooms and staff that you encountered on the morning.

Regarding some of the points that you have raised, unfortunately we did have a wedding on the evening that you stayed and the hotel was very busy. I can only apologise that no one answered your call whilst searching for directions to our hotel, that there was no one to greet you on arrival, and that the fireworks disturbed you. We strive to deliver excellent standards of customer service, and will seek to address these issue in the future.

I do appreciate your positive comments and constructive criticism regarding your visit to our hotel. If you are looking to visit Durham again please contact myself directly at the hotel and I will look after your booking personally

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

Very friendly staff, incredibly welcoming. Amazing food! Wonderfully refurbished hotel very welcoming and cozy. Very good prices for food and reservation! Great location to Durham for days out and round the corner from the Botanical Gardens, a must see!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Dear Lauraelk

Thank you very much for your kind review, it is greatly appreciated by myself and my team