“Lovely staff enjoyable stay”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
northumberland
“Lovely staff enjoyable stay”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed here for two nights on a bank holiday weekend. The hotel was very busy the first night but slightly quieter the next. Room was fine we were in 25, the internet was excellent in room. We ate both nights once in bar and the other in the restaurant. Both nights were good staff very attentive. A lovely young dark haired girl about to start sixth form was very good, sorry don't know name! But all staff were very pleasant. Breakfast in morning was great, the bar has lots of nooks and crannies which made it fun to sit in. Seems to be a popular local eatery, so busy at times.
Can't wait to go back on there lazy Sunday deal.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear, Teacake_8

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I`m delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found my team very attentive. I always say, my team’s good attitude makes a big difference for our quests enjoyable stay with us. I’m proud with every single of them. Team member who was attending you was Kemer. She is new here. She is still training. But it is nice to hear from you she has the right attitude. And she tells me she loves what she does. I’m also very pleased to hear, you enjoyed your bar food, restaurant meal and your breakfast. Lazy Sunday’s seems very popular.by everyone. And our guest fined it good value for the money. I will pass all your kind comments to the all team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Cadiz, Spain
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We were a bit apprehensive when we booked this hotel as we had an unanticipated extended stay in the area - but I am pleased to say that the experience was a positive one.
A room in the main building was a four poster with a large bathroom. OK - not a 5 star - but very adequate for our requirements.
Situated outside of Durham, but with easy access to the city and the A1(M) network, so that the sights of the county were within easy reach.
The stars of this hotel were the Reception and Management staff - so friendly and helpful - thank you very much!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I`m very pleased, your experience of stay was a positive one. All our main building bedrooms are four poster rooms. They seem very popular and they do fill very quickly. Where the Hotel situated is very handy to all areas of Durham and not far from motorway. And having FREE car parking makes it big difference also. From outside the Hotel there is very good bus service to Durham and to Darlington. Every 10 to 15 minutes. Thank you very much for your kind comments about the team. As always they make the difference here. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Booked direct with the hotel for one night bed & breakfast as part of a birthday celebration. Location is good, close to Durham city centre and Beamish Living Museum is definitely worth a visit. Allocated Room 8 in the courtyard. On walking in initial reaction was a damp smell in room. General cleanliness was not to our standard, marks on pillowcases and room just felt like it had only had a very basic clean. Room is next to a possible boiler room and very noisy. Was quiet for a few hours then 5am on the dot the noise started again. On check in we were made aware the hotel was fully booked so we knew we couldn't be moved. Breakfast was ok, again cleanliness of cups and teapot were questionable, only half a slice of black pudding was a bit mean and pastries were stale. One guest had a nasty fall after slipping on wet surface at buffet area. Had high expectations after reading the reviews but disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8 in the courtyard
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear, John C

Thank you for your review of the hotel. Firstly, I`m very sorry you were disappointed with your stay with us. My own policy is, when we are fully booked we always keep one room as a spare in case something goes wrong with any other room. So the quest moves to another room not to another hotel. On this time I don’t know what happened. I will certainly look in to it. Today is Sunday. And I gone trough all your feedback with my team on our weekly briefing. And actions put in places. I have also spoken to Head Chef about the black pudding. Chef is explained me when he cut them round they do go dry. He is going to cut thicker half slices from now on. Room 8 is located next to the boiler room. We do have some water busters they do kick in, time to time to boost water pressure. Same time owners of the hotel just bought completely new water and heating system. As we speak. I`m waiting a quote for insulation and a suitable date. Please!!! Don’t let one bad stay put you off coming back. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

Nice room with an excellent shower! Staff had been nothing short of helpful. The food in the resturant was reasonably priced, and of impressive quality in terms of presentation and taste. I would say this hotel is top of the three star bracket. Will definitelty book again!!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm very pleased you had a good stay with us. Recently we have been putting quite a few brand new showers in some of our rooms by Eddie.. So it is nice to hear they are working and making a difference for our guests. We also introduced our new all day and a-lacart menu. So far we have really fantastic feedback about it. I will pass your kind comments to my team. Thank you again for your review. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Englefield Green, England
Reviewed August 19, 2014

.....by the Motel format which actually works very well. Small room but fine for solo traveller. Big super plus c. 40" Samsung TV. Brilliant (just need Sky Sports now!!!!! ) Bar/restaurant pleasant and with well kept Black Sheep ale. Nice breakfast in airy room. Recommended

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear, Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and also you would recommend us. All our rooms have 42” TV’s in them. We don’t have sky sport but we do have BT Sport on our TV at the bar area. Our bar area gets a lot of good comments with the comfy décor.. I think because it is an open planned bar area . Makes it airy and bright. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future for another Black Sheep Ale.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Booked through booking.com, this hotel has been clean, comfy and manned by the nicest of people. The restaurant last night served absolute divine food, and the waitress, the newly wed Mrs Ainsley, was a delight. The room is comfortable and warm, have yet to check the shower but the bathroom generally is fantastic too. Ample parking, free wifi, and for infrequent overnighters like me; they have towels!! Apparently I am dim not to have known that...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear, JillG

Thank you for your review of the hotel. It is so nice to hear such a fantastic comments. I feel privileged. It is all down to the great team we have here at Honest Lawyer. People like Nicola makes so much difference to any business. And I always feel how lucky I’m working with a great team. They always give 100%. I`m also very pleased you found your room comfy and our food divine. New menu seems very popular. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2014

This place was booked last minute as it was a surprise break. On arrival the place looked tidy and comfortable the rooms were very cosy and the hotel restaurant & bar area was comfortable.
The food was very nice and fresh and the staff were excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DWANE71
Dear, DWANE71

Thank you for your review of the hotel. Reading your kind comments, it is looks you had a great surprise break. I and my team get a lot of satisfaction and pleasure reading comments like yours. And every Sunday on our staff briefings, we go trough all the good and bad feedbacks from our quests. So we can improve even more what we do here at Honest Lawyer. Thank you again for your review. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.