“Honest Lawyer”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Honest Lawyer”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We needed a room that would cater for myself my wife and our 23 year old daughter as we were attending our son's graduation. The hotel kindly let us have the largest double room and we brought a air bed which fitted on the floor with plenty of room. there was noise from the bar in the room but mainly from the music. The room was clean and tidy and suitable for what we required. The breakfasts were a bit of a lottery and the staff service was not great at breakfast. the fruit was of the tinned variety and there was not a lot of variety on other breakfast items.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are definitely like motel style rooms but they looked clean and tidy from what w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Stephen H
Thank you for your review of the hotel. Overall I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we were able to accommodate your family. Following the feedback for the room that you stayed in we are taking steps to insulate the speaker underneath the room so that the music can't be heard - this will make a big difference. I must apologise about your breakfast experience, we are taking steps to improve this and i'm sure if you return to the hotel in the near future you will see a big improvement. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
cheshire
Reviewed July 1, 2013

For a one night stay this was OK. Easy parking, easy to find, bar and food up to scratch and room - which was out in the courtyard "motel" area - was comfortable and a decent size. Staff were all friendly and I really quite liked this place and would have liked to have said "above average" but for a couple of obvious things that a half decent hotel ought to get right. The bathroom was clean and spacious but there was an unpleasant smell which I guess was the drains or the extractor - it did not permeate into the main room fortunately. The cushions on the easy chairs were very badly marked and stained - you would not have wanted to sit on them - and we didn't ! There was no wi-fi available .. I had read in earlier reviews that this was being fixed - but it hasn't been and I guess "it is being fixed" could be a long standing situation. I think for one or two nights it is fine .. any longer and you would be asking for things to be put right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dinglecat
Dear dinglecat,
Thank you for your review of the hotel.Overall I am pleased that you experience was positive, but I am disappointed that you had issues during your stay. I have spoken to housekeeping and maintenance to ensure that our high standards of cleanliness are maintained, and there should be no smell from the drains in the bathrooms. I am happy to say that the wifi has been fixed and that as of 13/7/13 all rooms now have free high speed wireless internet. I would like to personally assure you that we take not of all guest feedback and it is only with this feedback that we can improve our offering. I hope that we will see you at the hotel in the near future.

Hamilton,UK
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have just returned from a 2 night stay in this lovely hotel. Had initially booked two 4 Poster Rooms for 1 night then decided to add an extra night at short notice. As there was only one 4 poster room available for our extra night I changed my room to the hotel's one and only suite which in fact turned out to double up as the Bridal Suite when required.

The hotel itself is lovely and only a 5-10 min drive from Durham city centre with a Park & Ride a few mins drive away if you'd rather leave the car behind and go by bus.

First impressions as we arrived were mixed as the Courtyard rooms made the Hotel look a little more like an American "Motel" than a traditional British Hotel. That said the reception area, dining and bar areas were lovely and welcoming. The staff at reception were very helpful.

The lack of a lift may be an issue for some but we managed fine. All the rooms inside the hotel were on the 1st floor so there are not too many stairs to encounter. My parents had a 4 poster room which was a reasonable size with all the facilities we could expect.

Our room was massive with a Super- kingsize bed (covered in pillows and cushions), walk in wardrobe (with complimentary dressing gowns), large bathroom with separate shower cubicle, jacuzzi bath and bidet. A door in the bedroom led out to a decked area which led on to the fire escape, however this area is still private. Couldn't have asked for a bigger or better room.

However, the Wi-Fi in the room was practically non existent. When I casually mentioned this to staff on checking out they quickly deducted the cost of our breakfast each morning which was much appreciated and we had not asked them to do this. My husband biggest complaint was the music which we could clearly hear from just after 8am each day until the bar closed at 11pm. Our room was directly above the bar so the sound travelled directly up to our room and was loud enough you could easily sing along to the songs they were playing while lying in bed at night. To be honest it didn't bother me as much as it did him but I have to agree as this is the hotels "best and most expensive room" you should not have to listen to music from downstairs for 15 hrs a day. Again we mentioned this and were told that it would be looked into.

The tiles in the shower could do with being re-grouted and the cold tap in the bath was loose as was a plastic cover in the shower but these were just silly wee things that I feel should be sorted if standards are to remain high in the hotel's "suite".

Breakfast is charged at £8.95 p/p and was excellent value for money. There was a continental and hot choice with everything you could possibly have wanted from ceral and juice, croissants and pastries, to the traditional full english we all love to start the day. Dinner is available at night with an excellent choice of foods.

I would definitely return here if I was staying in Durham in the future but, as much as I loved the size and luxury of the "suite, I would have to opt for a 4 poster room so I didn't have to listen to the constant music from the bar."

Room Tip: Avoid the Suite (because of the noise) and pay the extra for a 4 poster room so you are located insi...
2 Thank slg40
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear slg40,
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Regarding the issues that you experienced in your room, we are taking steps to add insulation above the speaker to make sure that guests are not disturbed by the restaurant music, and i'm pleased to report that as of 13/7/13 we have installed new broadband/wifi and all of our rooms now have free high speed internet access. I hope that we see you at the hotel in the near future.

Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed two nights including 4 course dinner on the first night and 2 breakfasts.
We were in a disabled room so it was large and had a large ensuite. Twin beds were very comfortable. Tea making facilities, toiletries, large tv, hair dryer, parking.
Didn't realise it was so far from Durham. Nothing around the hotel. Wifi not working except in the bar. Room quite cold. Radiator not on.
Evening meal wonderful - the best of the trip so far. Breakfast buffet with cooked options.
We got a good deal but I'd rather stay in Durham.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rgjde
Thank you for your fair review of the hotel. Overall i'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our 2 night deal to be value for money. We will certainly take onboard your feedback and see what we can do to improve our guest experience. If you were to stay with us again, I would suggest exploring a number of river walks which are very popular, as well as Sunderland Bridge village which is very nice to have a look around. Regarding the wifi, I can confirm that as of 13/7/13 we have free high speed wifi in all of our rooms, which I am very pleased to tell you about.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on the £99 Special Deal for Bed, Breakfast and Dinner.
Our room (Motel Style) with parking right outside our door was in the Courtyard backing onto open fields and far enough away from the dual carriage way traffic. We arrived early and our room was ready as it had not been occupied the previous day. The room was quite small as was the bathroom but adequate for the 2 nights stay.
Very nice flat screen tv and tea/coffee making facilities.
The "Jewel in the Crown" is the food.
Both nights evening meals were fabulous and attentive staff.
We walked across the fields ( through the gate just over the bridge) and into Durham. It was a lovely day and walk, along the river. It took around 40 mins. We only saw a few dog walkers who all exchanged pleasantries.
The Durham Regatta was on and we spent a lovely day drinking Pimms, watching the races.
Durham is a lovely city and this hotel is an ideal place to stay as it's only 10 mins from the centre by car. Car parking is very limited in the centre and expensive but there is also a bus service just outside the hotel.
Would definitely stay here again if ever up that way. We drove on to Newcastle to join a Cruise and the journey took 25 mins.

Room Tip: Not in the main building due to traffic noise.
2 Thank Galapagosbird
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear lindylovesaholiday,
Thank you for your 5* review of the Honest Lawyer, i'm delighted that you enjoyed our stay and that you found our Durham Deal Offer to be excellent value for money. The deal now starts at £89 on a Sunday, £99 Monday to Thursday, and £109 Friday & Saturday, offering a substantial discount on our menu & room only prices, and it has proved to be very popular. As you mentioned we are conveniently located for exploring everything that Durham has to offer, being less than 3 miles from the city centre with excellent transport routes from the hotel. Once again thank you for your kind review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

cheshire
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were unsure about this hotel as we originally wanted to stay in the centre of durham . This hotel is about 10 mins drive from the centre and is great value for money. We had two rooms in our party one in the courtyard(really cute) and one in the hotel (lovely) the set up in the courtyard is unique lovely well equipped ensuite rooms. The hotel has a stylish reception friendly helpful staff and great rooms ours had new styled four poster. This was a bonus as we didn't request it was clean chic and comfy . Breakfast was good and the bar area well set out this hotel is an ideal base to explore the beautiful city of Durham we will definitely return

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank maria h
Dear maria h
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed in a Courtyard room for 4 nights as a short break in the Durham area. No problem with road noise. Easy booking in and out. Clean room. Service bus to Durham stops outside hotel so no need to take car into the City. Wifi only worked in room on first day but I understand this is being improved soon. Only used restaurant once but service was quick and efficient and the food very good.

1 Thank GlynBowen
Dear GlynBowen
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the hotel to be in a convenient location - the bus route is very popular with our residents. We are getting the wifi looked at - it is currently working without problems in the main building, and we hope to have the Courtyard upgrade completed very soon. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.