“Nicely appointed but small rooms”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed one night in March for a night out in Durham. The rooms are motel style so we were across the car park from the main building. Room was clean and well appointed, but a little on the small side. It worked for us for the one night, but you probably wouldn't want to stay much longer than that.
Great breakfast though.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Manxgirl57
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Manxgirl57
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, that the room was clean and that you enjoyed your breakfast. We aim for our rooms to be clean, comfortable and well appointed, making them ideal for short breaks, but if you do wish to stay with us again we have larger Four Poster rooms and a Suite in the main building, available for a small supplement, which will offer you more space.

There are newer reviews for The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have dined at The Honest Lawyer 4 times in the past 2 month and stayed overnight once. . One occasion was to celebrate my wifes birthday, so there was just the two of us for a candle lit dinner, another occasion there was eleven of us celebrating our sons 40th birthday. The food is excellent, Head Chef (Harry) and his team create some amazing dishes with fascinating flavours, and presentation is very good. The menu, which is excellent is changed on a regular basis and offers a varied selection from starter, main course and dessert and is reasonably priced.
The wine selection is very good with a wide variety, even the "House Wine" is to a very high standard. The hotel manager, Unsal Aydin is also a trained somalier with a wealth of knowledge and can recommend a wine for every course.
The bedrooms are based on the American Motel style where the rooms are in a courtyard and you park outside your door which is very convenient especially with luggage. My wife and I prefer to pay a little bit extra and have a bedroom inside the main building which are more spacious and have a four poster bed, but that is just our preferences, our family and friends all had bedrooms in the courtyard and were very happy.
Breakfast next morning was superb with an excellent menu on offer.
The staff are all very helpful and always smiling (which is rare to find nowadays) and nothing is a problem. The hotel and bedrooms were spotless clean.
My full compliments to the manager Mr Aydin, all the kitchen staff, all the waiters /waitresses and all housekeeping staff, for making our visits so memorable, your doing a wonderful job, keep it up, as I'm sure diners /residents like us all appreciate the hard work you put in as it makes our stay very pleasant.
We will be back.

The Honest Lawyer is on the A167 and is convenient for Durham City.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and upgrade to a room in the main building, well worth it, you will not be disapp...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Frank Bruce

Dear Frank Bruce,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your liking. I'm very pleased that you have enjoyed all of your meals here, we do aim to go above and beyond our customer's expectations with our AA Rosette, quality of the food, friendly service and modern decor. Our Four Poster rooms are very popular so we do recommend that guests book well in advance for these rooms.

Once again thank you for your review, we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at the Honest Lawyer. The food is fantastic either run the bar, or in the restaurant, and each night there is a leo a 'cheaper' special focus.

Having stayed over a weekend and also midweek I can say that the service is great at all times.

The rooms are comfortable, and follow an American Motel approach with parking directly outside your room, which is great. But don't let this put you off if you don't like this sort of thing. The rooms are comfortable, with large TV and good shower / bath, they are also clean and tidy.

The surprise is the quality of the food and the service - which I have to say is exceptional, and whilst I'd like to keep it as my secret, I guess that would defeat the purpose of these reviews.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank thauma
HonestLawyerHotel, Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear hauma,
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel, i'm delighted that your second stay was to your liking, especially the quality of the food. As you point out we do have food deals running during the week to offer an affordable option.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for one night and found the hotel very pleasant and good value for £60 for a double room. The bed, bedding, toiletries and shower was very clean and of good quality. The room overall was a good size, with new TV and tea-making facilities. The staff were also helpful and friendly.
The hotel was slightly out of town centre, it took around 10 minutes by car to reach Durham City. The botanical gardens and certain colleges of Durham University were a little closer to the hotel.
A possible downside to staying in the hotel would be if you stayed in one of the rooms near the main road because of the traffic noise. Also, the hotel is laid out like an American or Australian motel with cars parked outside the rooms within a courtyard, which could be an issue if you prefer a traditionally laid-out hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Woodfordgent
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Woodfordgent,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm pleased that everything was to your liking and that you found us to be good value for money. Our hotel layout, where you can park right outside of your room, is very popular with our guests although it won't be to everyone's liking, everyone who stays here comments how convenient it is. Guests are more than welcome to request a room at the back of the hotel which is a bit further away from the road, however we do have good quality double glazing and guests in any room experience very little road noise. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, if there is anything that I can help you with please don't hesitate to get in touch,

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

As we only live down the road we haven't stayed at the hotel but have been for food a few times. They do an excellent Sunday lunch, plenty of meat and gravy but have other choices if you don't want a roast dinner. My nephew loves the burgers. A little pricier than a pub lunch, but this is reflected in the quality of the food.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Fatyak,
Thank you for your kind review, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your Sunday Lunch and that you found our food to be of high quality. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Unsal Aydin, General Manager

p.s. we all like the photo of the pony that you posted :)

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We went on the £99 overnight break which gave us a room for two, dinner and bed and breakfast which I thought represented good value for what we received.

Our motel room was generally clean, but we spotted a couple of holes in the sheets, some tiles needed a bit of grout and there was some dust in some of the harder to reach places. We couldn't get the WiFi to work in our room (we complained but it still didn't work) but it did work in the hotel.

Staff were all pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear NantwichBill,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad that you found our popular £99 offer, which includes a four course dinner, to be good value for money. With regards to the issues that you mention, we have employed a new maintenance team to look after the rooms and give them a refresh, and I'll certainly ask our housekeepers to check all of the sheets. I must apologise about the wifi in the rooms, with our location it can be difficult to get a good connection, however the main building wifi works without any problems, over the next few months we are investing in a completely new wifi system which will iron out all of the problems.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Was looking for a room for a night last weekend, before visiting Beamish the following day. Myself, husband, toddler and dog travelled so I was looking for a hotel who could accommodate all of my needs. The honest lawyer did this :)
From my initial enquiry, staff went over and above to help me. No charge for my dog (many in the area did) and a bed for my toddler made up for free too.
The hotel was easy to find and we checked in quickly. Rooms are in an American style 'motel' lay out, with all rooms around a courtyard, so we could park right outside the room :) easy for unloading the car, and letting my dog out.
Bar/restaurant was lovely and we were able to take our dog in to the atrium part, which I didn't expect.
Got a great nights sleep, beds very comfortable and hotel very quiet. You can hear the hum of the road as it gets busier, but we wasn't disturbed.
All in all a great hotel, exactly what we needed and I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CharleyWells

Dear CharleyWells,
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel, i'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your liking. I'm especially pleased that you found us to be pet friendly - as you correctly say we don't charge any extra for pets in our courtyard rooms, and dog friendly dining is becoming popular in the Atrium area. I hope that you enjoyed your day out at Beamish, a reminder to all of our guests that residents receive 25% discount, please ask at Reception for more information.