“Great food again!”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We visited here today (Good Friday) for our Fish & Chips and have to say they were as god as ever the food here never let's you down, used to be a regular but haven't been for a while and glad to say it hasn't lost its touch. We noted that they now do different menus between the bar and the restaurant with a good choice and not too expensive, although the burger at 10.95 is a little on the expensive side. Like the Staropronen lager. All that's missing at the moment is the singer Chris Daker that used to be on on a Friday night and create a good atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear rowtietowers,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm glad that you enjoyed your meal with us. We've just updated our menus at the beginning of April to offer even more choice at different price points. Our a la carte menu is now served in the bar & restaurant, along with a selection of House Favourites. Thank you for your feedback on the burger, we've keep the price the same since we opened 2 1/2 years ago, but now on a Tuesday night you can get our Classic Steak Burger and a Pint of Carlsberg or Tetley, /125ml Glass of Wine/ or Regular Pepsi for just £11.95, which i'm sure you will agree represents excellent value for money.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is a few miles from Durham city centre. My colleague and I were staying here for one night and we are two females with a room each. We had not realised many of the rooms are "motel style" (outside with their own front door) and we were both a little uneasy with this. If I was staying with my husband this would not have been an issue.

The hotel part with the restaurant and bar area is very nice, our food was good and the staff very friendly. The room itself had a good size TV with freeview channels, a very comfortable bed and nice bedding. The carpet looked dirty and not very nice. The bathroom was fairly clean (a couple of hairs in the bath before I had used it). The towels were thick and fluffy although the bathroom a little small. As the car park was right outside my door I was woken a couple of times with cars coming and going late night and early in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Der Hotel-Guru-Kat,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated. 45 of our 51 rooms are located 'american motel style' on the courtyard, and we always aim to clearly communicate this whether you book online or directly with us so I can only apologise that you weren't aware of this. I will certainly speak to housekeeping re the couple of hairs that were in the bath, and see if we can get the carpet sorted out - the carpets are deep cleaned regularly so it may be the case that it needs replacing, so far we have replaced a good number of the carpets in our courtyard rooms and the new ones do look really nice. I certainly hope that this experience will not put you off staying with us again, we do have a number of Four Poster rooms in the main building, If you wish to stay with us again, please contact me directly and I will organise a complimentary upgrade

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were taken to the Honest Lawyer our for Sunday lunch by a good friend and we couldn't believe that we'd never been there before. Nice big portions of food that were loving prepared and very tasty. My only concern was the kids menu wasn't really kids food, but as my two both wanted fish the chef was happy to split and adult portion between them. Very accomodating.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear durham05,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your Sunday dinner - it's very popular and we recently served more than 300 people on Mother's Day. I'm glad that everything was to your liking, and we were more than happy to accommodate your children's requests. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a good honest hotel/motel. Situated adjacent to a busy main road with ample parking. Road noise could be a problem, so if this is likely to be an issue for you, discuss this with the Manager. The motel type rooms look uninviting from the exterior, but inside are light and bright with modern uptodate furnishings. We were kindly offered an upgrade to one of the superior rooms on the side of the hotel. Quite a large room, with an easy chair and table, decent size flat screen TV and a table with a mirror in front, making hair drying so much easier. The bed was very comfortable indeed. Adequate bathroom though the shower was a bit of a challenge. Attractive modern furnishings and plentiful supply of tea and coffee

Breakfast good.

The staff were all exceedingly pleasant and helpful, especially the lady manager, for whom nothing was too much trouble.

We ate in a section of the restaurant one evening and the food was good, well presented and the service efficient and pleasant.

We were here essentially to visit family, so we would almost certainly stay here again, if the occasion presented itself.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear moses_karibu,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you rightly mention we are next to a main road, offering easy access to Durham City as well as popular attractions and business parks in and around the area. If we have light sleepers staying with us they're more than welcome to request one of our rooms tucked behind the main building away from the main road, or alternatively we do have a number of Four Poster rooms away from the main road which are nice & quiet. Overall i'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights, motel style rooms with car parking by the room, very comfortable, everything you needed was provided, warm, nice bed linen, room was very clean and well decorated, a credit to the housekeeping staff. The actual hotel building was up to date well decorated and clean, comfortable with plenty of seating and tables. Food was very well prepared and , I believe, uses locally sourced ingredients. A good chef and his team provided that little bit extra in presentation which make all the difference. All of the staff from reception, waitresses ,bar,etc are friendly and efficient and make you feel very welcome, obviously the management is doing a good job. Located just a few miles from Durham its perfect for this city, Beamish and the coast, all within easy reach on good roads.
We booked through a rooms web site,BUT, its worth looking on the hotel web site, before you book. The hotel quoted the same room only as the web sites, plus, if you go for the half board package it shows a saving , (the late rooms,etc do not mention this.) So look before you book. for even better value. Drinks and food prices are about right for this quality of hotel, we hope to return in the summer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AmigoWarwickshire

Dear AmigoWarwickshire,
Thank you for your kind review, it is greatly appreciated. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found everyone here to be friendly & welcoming. You're right in saying that we do have special offers available, which can be booked on our website. Our current £99 offer includes a four course dinner in the restaurant with no restrictions, and is proving to be very popular! We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having driven past the Honest Lawyer many times, but never stopping , we decided that the next time we stayed in Durham, the Honest Lawyer would be the place to spend the night .
Overall the experience was GOOD in parts , room etc , and VERY GOOD in terms of food etc . Breakfast excepted.

The rooms are laid out in Motel style , or what I would have envisaged 'Motel Style' to be like . Not being a fan of the U.S. , I can't say I have much experience of such arrangements, and this was therefore my first time of 'parking directly outside my room' , inside rooms {main building} are also available . That said, it was o.k., the rooms we had where functional , clean , tidy, and as I say, fine for the night or maybe even a few !

Food (Dinner) in the main hotel building on the other hand was Very Very Good , Very reasonable, and without fault! Not one, ...... from any of us , not a single one. Breakfast 'buffet' on the other hand was cold , lifeless and a bit hit and miss, work required I would say, and quickly. Question therefore would be, how can one hotel have such diverse food practices , only a few hours apart? One for management to consider .... a developmental opportunity me-thinks that would pay dividends !

So, there you have it , good room , coupled with very good food ( dinner) = good stay at a good price. What more can you ask . Perhaps a good breakfast ?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear hinfamily,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad that you found our accommodation and restaurant standards to be very good, we appreciate the feedback, however I am disappointed that our breakfast on the Sunday morning was not to your liking.

I did actually call into the hotel that day on my day off to do a spot check, and I agree with you that the breakfast served on that day was not up to our usual standard. I did get a chance to speak with some of our guests on the morning, who had similar feedback to yours.

I would like to reassure you that we act on all guest feedback, whether positive or negative, and that I have spoken to the kitchen and food & beverage staff on that morning at the 11am briefing to make sure that our usual high standards are delivered every day.

I do hope that the breakfast on this day will not put you off returning to the Honest Lawyer, so I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future - please contact me directly if there is anything that I can help you with

Kind regards

Reviewed March 4, 2013

i am most happy to write a review on the honest lawyer.although our stay brief from booking owards the staff wrere most helpful and obliging,,nothing wastoo much trouble,the room was ideal and as we had a dog this suit our needs.the food was excellent with varied menu,the breakfast supassed all expectation and was very good value.
altogether a most pleasant , and i must we have stayed in 4&5 star hotels with less quality than the honest lawyer at durham many thanks if in the area again wil undoubtly book in

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear john g,
Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we're a very popular pet friendly hotel in Durham so i'm glad that we could accommodate your four legged friend as well. I'm sure that Harry and the team will appreciate your feedback on the food, and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future