“Good food and friendly service”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We enjoyed the meals , kids had fish and chips which were real and enjoyed by all. The staff were friendly and really good with the children. Food was of a good quality and was brought in good time, we also had a good selection of beers and a pint of black sheep..

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear pomhall,
Thank you very much for your review, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your meals, especially the children's fish and chips. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I just wanted to highlight an area i did not mention on my original review which read, "we stayed in the courtyard part of the hotel, rooms small, double bed seemed small maybe a 3/4 double? Carpet had chewing gum on it and wifi didn't work. We didn't eat in the restaurant at night but menu looked a little restrictive. Breakfast was good."
I would like to add as have others that the staff were very helpful, professional and courteous. Although our room was a little tired the hotel served us well to visit family in ferryhill.
Oh and maid service was excellent, we went to breakfast and returned to find our room cleaned, spot on.
many thanks

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank simon T
HonestLawyerHotel, Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear simon T, thank you for your review and follow up comments. Since your stay with us I have taken over as the hotel's new General Manager, introducing a new all day food menu served in the bar, as well as an extensive a la carte menu in the restaurant with plenty of choice. We are also in the process of refurbishing all of our courtyard rooms, so i'm sure that if you return to the hotel in the near future you'll see a big improvement.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

3 - 4 miles from Durham city. Stayed one night with my wife and 3yr old daughter in room 56. In-laws stayed in room 55. Both rooms were in the main building and spacious. Our rooms were at the front of the hotel, and unlike some reviewers are saying, neither our room or the in-laws room suffered any traffic noise. There was however noise from the water pump whenever a tap was turned on, but that was only sporadic and is not really to be complained about as it made for a really powerful shower. The staff were all helpful and friendly. The full English breakfast was nice. My 3yr old daughter enjoyed playing in the outside wooden playhouse. We would enjoy staying here again.

Room Tip: try the Czech beer at the bar, its Gr8
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 9,243

Dear 9243,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will certainly investigate the issue with the water pump as this shouldn't be happening. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We needed a hotel that would accept our small dog, we explained to Julie at reception that we had had a recent family bereavement. On our arrival we were welcomed as if old friends, shown to a very roomy en suite room with spa bath. We stayed there for five nights, ate most of those evenings at the hotel, and some lunches, so good was the cuisine, we had a family meal there and my sister organised the after funeral get together there too. The buffet was excellent and we were given a room to ourselves, items of food were quickly replaced as plates were emptied, and Unsal the Manager liased closely and ensured our every need was catered for.
The staff members are a credit to Best Western, everyone of them, a seemingly close knit team full of Durham charm. We have travelled throughout the UK, and have slept in all classes of hotel, we have never been treated so well as with the staff of the Honest Lawyer. Thank you team especially Steph who couldn't have done more.

Room Tip: Room 53 has a spa bath and balcony away from the road. The courtyard rooms are due to re open, all r...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank john h

Dear john h, thank you for your review of our hotel. Firstly may I pass on my condolences for your family bereavement. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and i'm sure that Julie will be very happy to read your kind praise. I'm glad that the funeral buffet was to your liking, and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We chose this hotel looking for dog-friendly accomodation near Durham for one night during a long car journey through the UK. We had 2 courtyard rooms; compact but adequate, and it was handy to be able to park our car (with lots of luggage on roof) outside the room door. The double bed was very small and so we took the twin-bedded room leaving my son with the double. The restaurant menu was extensive and we had some tasty and interesting choices; the bar and restaurant were relaxing places to spend the evening. We left before breakfast as the later weekend start time was not suitable for our long journey. It was ideal for our purposes and we would definately return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear RosieCFleet, thank you very much for your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & your dinner in Bailey's Restaurant. We are a very dog friendly hotel welcoming pets into our courtyard rooms free of charge. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future now that our courtyard rooms are in the process of being refurbished.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

My partner took me away to Durham for my birthday and we stayed here. It was absolutely fabulous, the room was amazing, with its four poster bed and huge ensuite. From what I gather it wasn't too expensive either. The bar is lovely and the staff are very welcoming too, Durham is an amazing place and we will definately return! Oh p.s a taxi from the hotel to the lively part of Durham was only around £10 too, bargain!

Room Tip: We had a four poster which was wonderful
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NatashaAimee
HonestLawyerHotel, Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear Natasha

Thank you for your kind review of the hotel, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us very much. Yes we are very close to Durham and every other attraction like Beamish Museum and Durham Catherdral, as well as Durham City Centre. We do also have a regular bus service outside of the hotel which goes right into the city, and as you mentioned a taxi is only £10. Durham is also one of my favourite cities, when I go with my daughter she loves shopping there. Thank you very much for your kind words about my staff, I can easily say that our food & hospitality is one of the best in and around Durham, and I will pass your kind remarks onto the team.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst travelling for my job in October 2012. I stayed in the main hotel. The room was extremely clean and comfortable, it was modern yet had a traditional feel. The bed was really good and the pillows were great quality. At breakfast there was a wide choice and the hot breakfast was freshly cooked, hot and attractively presented. The front of house manager was very helpful she makes you feel as if nothing is too much trouble for them. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HonestLawyerHotel, Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear AnnieHowieB123

Thank you for your glowing review, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, this is exactly the kind of feedback which brightens up our day. I'm sure Julie our front of house manager will be pleased to hear your feedback also. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.