“Great food, service not so good.”
Review of The Poachers

The Poachers
Ranked #41 of 317 Restaurants in Durham
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Poachers, Metal Bridge is a very warm, friendly and inviting pub which offers great food as well as great service. We accommodate all needs and are more than happy to help whenever we can. Any special requirements don't hesitate to ask - we will always go the extra mile to please our customers.
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've been to the poachers numerous times as it is a local pub. I find the food is brilliant most of the time. Especially at lunch times, huge meals for small prices. I find the service something to be desired, the woman behind the bar is surly and doesnt know how to smile. The last time i went was my friend's birthday. My steak was extremely undercooked so i sent it back then when it came out it was extremely chewy so overcooked. Not only that but because i obviously took longer than everyone else to eat because i had to wait for my meal to be returned, once the others had finished they started clearing the table around me. Which i found to be extremely rude and have not been back since! I ended up leaving my meal as felt uncomfortable being the only one with a plate on the table!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Being a regular for many years, I am pleased to say that the standard of food has remained the same very good, my favorite has always been the light bite prawn sandwich and chips and my hubbie the beef bun and chips, we've also had the fish and chips and other items, the menu should cater to most tastes from curries, fish, meat etc.

Never had a Sunday lunch but I understand that it is very good. Definitely worth a visit!. Nice surroundings and friendly staff., and 'real' chips.!. The lite bite menu about £5 to £6 pounds each and you do get plenty, and menu and board meals around £8.00 plus..

Reviewed November 16, 2012

went last night for a meal 12 off us all had various meals all i can say is keep sending it out like this spot on lovely,tasty,quick service staff were very pleasent,nice

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Have been a regular at the Poachers for the last year and have never been disappointed.If you go before 6pm they have a light bites menu which is excellent value and huge portions. The normal menu has a wide selection and if you fancy a different combination the staff will always accommodate. The pub has a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and you never feel rushed.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

went on a Sunday so menus weren't out but had no problems getting what we wanted which was enormous , hot and lovely cant wait to go back !