“Foodforthought77”

The Three Horseshoes
Ranked #24 of 304 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Brew Pub, European
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Traditional roadside English country pub/restaurant, recently extended creating new dining areas, kitchen and toilets. 'Brewery tap' for Leamside Brewery which is housed in an adjacent building.
North East England
“Foodforthought77”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Have been using this restaurant for several years, and always had a reasonable meal. However on this occasion, on walking in we noticed that there appeared to be a certain apathy among the staff with several young waitresses standing around talking. However we got seated within 3 or 4 minutes, and placed our order. My starter was King Prawns which were acceptable, although nothing brilliant, and my main course was steak. It was awful. I complained to the lady who served us, and I saw her tell a guy whom I took to be the manager. He then decided not to have any eye contact with me, and didn't come to the table to see what the complaint was.
When I received the bill the steak or any part of the cost had not been taken off. I paid the bill and then complained again to the manager, who just laughed, and told me I should have complained before. We wont be going back. If I have to pay for a meal that wasn't anywhere near the standard, then so be it, but to have a laugh about me complaining at what he thought was the wrong time, and neither asking me to go back, or offering some recompense is not on. I kept my complaint very discreet as the restaurant was approximately, 50% full, and if you make a song and dance about these things, it gives other people the opportunity to jump on the bandwagon when they haven't had a bad meal. Maybe I should have let myself be heard.

• Visited March 2014
7 Thank Foodforthought77

“Delicious as always”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Popped in for a light lunch. We hadn't booked and was pleasantly surprised to see a nicely buzzing restaurant on a Wednesday lunch time. Met by a young lady who, in my opinion needs to learn to greet with a smile but that won't spoil my review. The food was as good as usual. I had chicken Caesar salad and my husband choose the soup n sandwich option. The soup was carrot n ginger which tasted delicious his panini with roasted veg was mouth watering. My salad had just the right amount of dressing without drowning the leaves. All round a lovely really lovely light lunch. Delighted to hear that well behaved dogs are welcome in the bar (you can also have a bar meal here too) so will be coming back with our Labrador for our next visit. The owner is very welcoming and seems genuinely interested in hearing clients feedback. Thanks again and top marks to the chef :)

Visited March 2014
Durham
“Excellent Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Went there yesterday after a recommendation from a colleague, lucky to get a table (thank you!).

Excellent Sunday Lunch (beef), the Yorkshires were perfect, the veg a nice variety and well cooked. The Cotes du Rhone on the winelist is super-smooth.

Staff very friendly too.

Portions are plentiful and just right. We will return.

• Visited March 2014
“saturday lunch”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Good food friendly helpful staff lovely surrounding a three course £9.95 and a plus point they brew there own real ale

Visited March 2014
“Lovely pub food .”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Love this little place . Called in one Friday lunch time will my husband did not have a table booked so had a drink in the bar and only had to wait a half an hour and we had a table . The food was fab both my husband and I had a starter main meal and desert all was lovely will be back .

• Visited February 2014